PDA

View Full Version : Be Curteous and Respectfull?

RonaldOverby
05-07-11, 08:19 PM
When i first came on this site about a week ago, I thought i would have a great time talking to some good Marines about past good times, maybe learn something in the process, instead as i am lurking and looking at threads it has come to my attention that because i am a dark green Marine i may not be welcome here. Its a shame. When i put my feet on those Yellow footprints some almost 29 years ago, i thought i was a part of something special, the United States Marine Corps, a band of brothers that went through hell together. Nobody's bends and thrusts or mountain climbers or any of thos crazy arse exercises they made us do were any important than anyone elses. Some 27 years ago i was welcomed by a company commander in Camp Lejuene NC with a nice, "I dont like ******s and as long as i am here you will never get promoted". something that a young Marine should never hear come out of a leaders of Marines mouth. It was so profound that I had made up my mind when my eas was up i would leave my beloved Corps.

It is now 2011 and i see things havent changed. Im very dissapointed in what i am reading, it is so sad that we feel we are better than someone else. no matter who you are YOU ARE NO BETTER OR NO WORSE THAN I, remember the Marine Corps Creed "this is my rifle" is this creed only for White Marines? or is it for all of those brave men and women that put there feet on those yellow footprints. Lets all take a deep breath and take a look inside and ask ourselves, do you really have to act this way towards your fellow man or fellow Marine?

As i write this letter to my fellow Marines i can't stop crying because of the hurt i feel and the cowardly comments that i see made on this web site. Every single day i serve our Military Veterans and every day i greet each and every Marine, Soldier,Airman, and Navy Veteran with Kindness, respect and the willingness to help them unconditionally. We are all brave men and women that need to be treated with respect and kindness, not just because you happen to be of the same color or background, but because we are all Marines. Some 27 years ago i was rocked to my core by some racist arse man that was supposed to protect me and make sure i would be a good Marine, but i got the opposite instead.

Please dont be like that company commander, he wasnt a Marine, he was a man in a uniform that had hate for men of a different color. its lucky i never had to go to battle with this man because i know if i had i would have eleminated him. there is no room in our Corps for this. Maybe one day things will change. :(

Semper Fi

R-

joseywales
05-07-11, 08:24 PM
You figure this is a white v black and black v white forum? quite wrong, unless you think a few comments speak for all on the forum.
Do you? If you do, then you are guilty of the very discrimination you demonize. You know quite well that there may be a few idiotic comments made on any public forum, and this is true no matter the venue.
So you take a few comments made and extend that to most on the forum. That is prejudging all forum members based on the comments a few make.
I thought that was what we were supposed to be disapproving of, and yet we are doing it too?

Ceckert85
05-07-11, 08:24 PM
No Comment

SlingerDun
05-07-11, 08:38 PM
Not sure at all which comments have caused you grief, and i wont ask for you to dredge them up so i can read them.
So welcome aboard :marine: or not...

jumpinjack
05-07-11, 08:39 PM
What is truely hard here is being a Democrat liberal.

michagnu
05-07-11, 08:39 PM
When i first came on this site about a week ago, I thought i would have a great time talking to some good Marines about past good times, maybe learn something in the process, instead as i am lurking and looking at threads it has come to my attention that because i am a dark green Marine i may not be welcome here. Its a shame. When i put my feet on those Yellow footprints some almost 29 years ago, i thought i was a part of something special, the United States Marine Corps, a band of brothers that went through hell together. Nobody's bends and thrusts or mountain climbers or any of thos crazy arse exercises they made us do were any important than anyone elses. Some 27 years ago i was welcomed by a company commander in Camp Lejuene NC with a nice, "I dont like ******s and as long as i am here you will never get promoted". something that a young Marine should never hear come out of a leaders of Marines mouth. It was so profound that I had made up my mind when my eas was up i would leave my beloved Corps.

It is now 2011 and i see things havent changed. Im very dissapointed in what i am reading, it is so sad that we feel we are better than someone else. no matter who you are YOU ARE NO BETTER OR NO WORSE THAN I, remember the Marine Corps Creed "this is my rifle" is this creed only for White Marines? or is it for all of those brave men and women that put there feet on those yellow footprints. Lets all take a deep breath and take a look inside and ask ourselves, do you really have to act this way towards your fellow man or fellow Marine?

As i write this letter to my fellow Marines i can't stop crying because of the hurt i feel and the cowardly comments that i see made on this web site. Every single day i serve our Military Veterans and every day i greet each and every Marine, Soldier,Airman, and Navy Veteran with Kindness, respect and the willingness to help them unconditionally. We are all brave men and women that need to be treated with respect and kindness, not just because you happen to be of the same color or background, but because we are all Marines. Some 27 years ago i was rocked to my core by some racist arse man that was supposed to protect me and make sure i would be a good Marine, but i got the opposite instead.

Please dont be like that company commander, he wasnt a Marine, he was a man in a uniform that had hate for men of a different color. its lucky i never had to go to battle with this man because i know if i had i would have eleminated him. there is no room in our Corps for this. Maybe one day things will change. :(

Semper Fi

R-

I was a bit confused at first when you thought you wouldn't be welcome here as a Marine. I looked at your profile and then looked to see where you posted and Viola. I get it. Implied lynching isn't cool regardless of the intended victim.

You, however, may have jumped the gun and assumed more than is implied. I am no familiar enough with the Marine to know weather his ire is the result of race or politics and I doubt you are either.

If it's race that's his problem.

USNAviator
05-07-11, 08:41 PM
Ron

Welcome aboard from a non-Marine, southern born Naval officer.

I'm not sure where you are going with this. Do you feel there are segments here on LN that are racists?

If so please feel free to point them out keeping in mind that the public cannot see the Marine Only section so it would be best to post them in Chesty's Hooch etc

I truly am sorry you feel racism is prevalent here, perhaps it is. I don't know but kindly let us know where you think it exists

Respectfully

Dan O'Shea

jumpinjack
05-07-11, 08:50 PM
Yes Ron welcome aboard, I hope after a rocky start that all will be forgotten and start anew.

michagnu
05-07-11, 09:05 PM
Yes, indeed. I just found the post, I did it on my own, no one pointed it out to me, it took some digging----- and it is one sentence in one post out of a grand total of exactly 725,780 posts.
That's why the original post is uncalled for.

Yeah I did the same earlier and didn't quote it because it didn't seem necessary. Also in said posts ....

Nice job Seal team 6

about those 72 virgins who said they were women. Bin Laden i wish you bad luck in hell...
<!-- / message -->
I hope we can assume this has nothing to do with his religion and everything to do with the fact he's an @$$.

jwilcox27
05-07-11, 09:13 PM
Or just be a Marine and confront the person that offended you and if you are unable to resolve it at your level then take it up with a moderator. Solve things like this the same way you would have in the Corps, on the lowest level possible instead of making it a huge issue when it is very possible that there was no racism intended and somebody's personal opinion on a particular persons character.

RonaldOverby
05-07-11, 09:13 PM
Yeah I did the same earlier and didn't quote it because it didn't seem necessary. Also in said posts ....

Nice job Seal team 6

about those 72 virgins who said they were women. Bin Laden i wish you bad luck in hell...
<!-- / message -->
I hope we can assume this has nothing to do with his religion and everything to do with the fact he's an @$$.

If you read my profile you will see that i was born and raised in Newark NJ there is a very dinsley populated area of muslims nin that area of nj, i have many many muslim friends to this day, i know about muslims, far more than you my friend. this is a bad start for me on this site, it doesnt seem like this is the site for me, i wish all of you the best.

if any modrator reads this post please delete my account, i will not return.

R-

jwilcox27
05-07-11, 09:16 PM
Again I feel you are over-reacting to that statement, he said and I quote "I hope we can assume this has nothing to do with his religion and everything to do with the fact he's an @$$." saying that he is an @$$ is neither against race or religion.

I'm sorry that you are offended by these things and wish you the best.
Semper Fi

USNAviator
05-07-11, 09:24 PM
Someone made a comment, you yourself made a anti-religious comment, but that was different.
Our entire membership was accused based on something that was not even stated at the very beginning, no mod was contacted.
Done.

Agreed Dave we don't need a blanket indictment. Ron if you have a problem, man up and tell us where it exists. I don't think it's asking too much do you?

USNAviator
05-07-11, 09:27 PM
I saw the problem, Dan, and it was a stupid and inappropriate comment made by one member. No one pointed it out to me, I had to dig and dig and dig but I eventually found it. Yes, it is inappropriate, highly so.
But--------

I'm sorry but one quote out of how many??? Is that what you are talking about???

jwilcox27
05-07-11, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry but one quote out of how many??? Is that what you are talking about???
Yup one quote

locologe
05-07-11, 09:31 PM
I still remember the first week in receiving barracks, when we were all told that there are no colors, except for green!
Works for Me still.
If we as Marines have to edit everything we write or reply to here, so that anyones little feelers are not hurt, then maybe the problem, isnt this site, but more an internal struggle. I always thought this can be ONE place where we do not have to be, so politically correct always.
Semper Fi

RonaldOverby
05-07-11, 09:39 PM
Ron, here's what I would like to see you do. First, I want to extend a welcome to you to this site. Then I would like to see you file this one comment under jackazzery and ignorance and foolish bullshhit that it is, and contact a moderator about it, Sgt Leprechaun, who will address it.
Then I would like to put one comment out of 720,00 behind us and move on.
Yes, I am disappointed in blanket indictments, but I think it may have been a reaction to the feelings brought up by the comment itself.
How do you feel about staying with the site and ignoring the one jackazz?
We are all Marines, you are correct. And your company commander years ago, well, he ain't us and we ain't him.
What do you say to all of us moving on?
No one here is against you, we are all Marines, you said it yourself.
I for one would like to see you stay. I mean that.

I appreciate that Dave, point well taken. I am willing to move on and put this behind me. I know we have a lot of good marines out there and a blanket comment was not the correct thing to do. My appologies to all that i have made uncomfortable with my jackazzery.

Semper Fi

R-

michagnu
05-07-11, 09:41 PM
I agree. I did not mean to put you off as well, I was not trying to attack you just suggesting a different perspective. I agreed in my earlier post that the comment you found offensive was understandable but not something you will find common to the Marines here.

3043pog
05-07-11, 10:26 PM
If you read my profile you will see that i was born and raised in Newark NJ there is a very dinsley populated area of muslims nin that area of nj, i have many many muslim friends to this day, i know about muslims, far more than you my friend. this is a bad start for me on this site, it doesnt seem like this is the site for me, i wish all of you the best.

if any modrator reads this post please delete my account, i will not return.

R-

Ron,I'm not to far away here in Belmar,NJ.There is allways a ice cold PBR in the fridge if you wanna come over and swap a few lies! My rules = Marines are allways welcome. PM me!

m14ed
05-08-11, 12:03 AM
I wrote ron a letter , heres the contents

Ron

Sorry you found one post on leatherneck to turn your opinion around about
all of us on the site.
It's a shame you wont stay and try to lead by Example, rather than put your ass in a snit and drive off pi$$ed.
You're giving up faster than a little girl trying to bake brownies with broken
"easy bake oven."
I guess us OLDER Marines had to work harder to make it work than you younger Marines of your day.
Nothings perfect Ron, just a shame you arent willing to stick around and get to know us. You'll lose, we'll lose,, and we'll all get over it.
IT's the contents of a Mans heart, not the color of his skin,
Dont tell your friends that we Drove you out please.
Just dont even tell them you found a Marine Site .
Pretend that you're still looking for one.

Respectfully
m14ed

advanced
05-09-11, 10:24 AM
If you want respect, give respect. Here we always capitalize Marine! You have me in a bit of a quandary as to which words I need to censor and which I can now use with the pc police. I'm a Nam...

Cpl Heglar
05-09-11, 10:38 AM
Welcome aboard Devil Dog. Put down your guard. Some of my best friends are from NJ. Don't know what it is about New Jersey but the state seems to put out some really cool people, Besides anyone who lists their fav movie as being Deliverance I have to applaud! Again welcome to the site and ignore the trolls.

Best Regards,

Cpl Kevin D. Heglar
USMC

RonaldOverby
05-09-11, 10:55 AM
Welcome aboard Devil Dog. Put down your guard. Some of my best friends are from NJ. Don't know what it is about New Jersey but the state seems to put out some really cool people, Besides anyone who lists their fav movie as being Deliverance I have to applaud! Again welcome to the site and ignore the trolls.

Best Regards,

Cpl Kevin D. Heglar
USMC

Thanks Cpl Heglar! :flag:

Semper Fi

R-

Kegler300
05-09-11, 10:56 AM
Good grief...the OP gets his feelings hurt by an obscure statement somewhere, implies racism, and several here are tripping over themselves apologizing and begging for forgiveness. If the OP has such thin-skin, and wears his feelings on his sleeves, he wouldn't last here anyway.

RonaldOverby
05-09-11, 11:15 AM
Good grief...the OP gets his feelings hurt by an obscure statement somewhere, implies racism, and several here are tripping over themselves apologizing and begging for forgiveness. If the OP has such thin-skin, and wears his feelings on his sleeves, he wouldn't last here anyway.

hey TOP unless you have the authority to delet my account your statement is a moot point. Im a lot tougher than you think i may be, this thing has already been squased and for you as a TOP to come on here and say your peace, i cant stop that, but if you read the full post its already over, no need to come and put oil on the fire, but your a TOP and you should already know that, Dont worry TOP i will last here, if not just to prove it to you E-9

R-R

Sgt Jim
05-09-11, 11:25 AM
Welcome Aboard Brother!!!

RonaldOverby
05-09-11, 11:33 AM
Welcome Aboard Brother!!!

Thanks Sgt Jim!!!,

It started out a little rocky but i will adapt and overcome,

Semper Fi :flag:

R-

advanced
05-09-11, 11:55 AM
hey TOP unless you have the authority to delet my account your statement is a moot point. Im a lot tougher than you think i may be, this thing has already been squased and for you as a TOP to come on here and say your peace, i cant stop that, but if you read the full post its already over, no need to come and put oil on the fire, but your a TOP and you should already know that, Dont worry TOP i will last here, if not just to prove it to you E-9

R-R

You chose to start this thread with "Be Curteous and Respectfull?" May I remind you Marine that you are not talking to just one of us in your above response but to a Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant! This man deserves the upmost of respect whether you agree with him or not! Live your own words. S/F

civgrunt05
05-09-11, 12:38 PM
Why can't there be a cross between terminal lance and this site?

Terminal lance is full of 18 year olds that think it's cool to talk about how much the Corps sucks, while this forum is a little too up tight.

Perhaps I missed it in the forum rules, but who cares if some one is a Master Guns on here?
I'm a Sgt.... should I demand that a LCpl stand at parade rest while he dictates his reply to my post to his girlfriend?

We all meet as Marines here. I don't give a flying **** if you are a 4 star, a PFC, as black as a nigerian native, or a trailer park king white trash redneck.

The Marines I know are too busy joking with each other about racial stereotypes and what not to actually be racist.

If you think some one is racist against your race, then give him an internet punch in the face and move on.

I've had leaders that I was sure hated me because I was white, but, you know what? **** them and the horses they rode in on. I'm still gonna love the Corps for the 98.89% of Marines who are good to go and see only green.

Marine1011
05-09-11, 12:47 PM
hey hey hey everyone time the fk out, anyone notice that 2571 or whatever, already put this thing to bed, that Ronald Overby said his post was inappropriate and he apollogized and moved on? Anyone notice that? Well then act like it and move on. Why the posturing, and who the hell is this with the attitude saying everyone is falling all over overby apolgizing, it was OVERBY who apologized and moved on, and why cant you? because you got to thump your chest a few more times? get on with it, thump them chests then sign off the thread

Marine1011
05-09-11, 12:52 PM
someone start a chest thumpin thread so ya'll can get it off your chest and minds
aint never seen a bunch of crybabys since I passed by a den of cub scouts the other day and it ws rainin and they couldnt go camping

CrockettJW
05-09-11, 03:09 PM

Terminal lance is full of 18 year olds that think it's cool to talk about how much the Corps sucks, while this forum is a little too up tight.

Perhaps I missed it in the forum rules, but who cares if some one is a Master Guns on here?
I'm a Sgt.... should I demand that a LCpl stand at parade rest while he dictates his reply to my post to his girlfriend?

We all meet as Marines here. I don't give a flying **** if you are a 4 star, a PFC, as black as a nigerian native, or a trailer park king white trash redneck.

The Marines I know are too busy joking with each other about racial stereotypes and what not to actually be racist.

If you think some one is racist against your race, then give him an internet punch in the face and move on.

I've had leaders that I was sure hated me because I was white, but, you know what? **** them and the horses they rode in on. I'm still gonna love the Corps for the 98.89% of Marines who are good to go and see only green.

After reading your post, I checked out Terminal Lance. I only got as far as the cartoon strips. Some of those are pretty funny!

advanced
05-09-11, 03:36 PM

Maybe son you haven't ever had to trust your life to the leadership of the MC. My post was not to you; it was to someone who started the thread with Respect (demanding respect) and then he disrespects a Master Gunnery Sgt. of all people. If you haven't learned to respect such a man yet, perhaps you will - someday. We are not in the same league. I understand that you have no idea what I'm saying, too bad.

Kegler300
05-09-11, 04:34 PM

R-R

Now that's more like it! :thumbup:

03Foxtrot
05-09-11, 04:35 PM
I realize that this thread has resolved itself, although there still seems to be good bit of miscommunication between some members. I too believe that the original blanket statement about this entire forum by the original poster was inappropriate and wrong. When you draw conclusions from only a small number of posts and threads and this conclusion is not indicated from the far superior in number of posts and threads that do not fit the criteria that you protest, perhaps the subject was already decided by that same individual. This could be mistaken by some as a form of prejudice, when actually it is only another valid opinion, but it is cloaked in a presentation that seems to accuse everyone else here as being part and party to a racist or prejudicial site. That is the trouble with blanket statements and accusations, it just doesn't look at the individuals and the merit of such an attack is null and void. Perhaps we could all get along if we try to keep in sight that we are all Marines, on a public site, and that we all have different stories and experiences to tell and the brotherhood should take precedence over our differences. RESPECT IS EARNED, NOT DEMANDED !Semper Fidelis still means what it should to me.
Respectfully, Scott

Kegler300
05-09-11, 04:45 PM
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/funny_protester_signs.jpg

Mongoose
05-09-11, 05:02 PM
Maybe son you haven't ever had to trust your life to the leadership of the MC. My post was not to you; it was to someone who started the thread with Respect (demanding respect) and then he disrespects a Master Gunnery Sgt. of all people. If you haven't learned to respect such a man yet, perhaps you will - someday. We are not in the same league. I understand that you have no idea what I'm saying, too bad.
Russ, take it easy brother. There are some that still dont get it. They dont realize that getting through bootcamp gets you the title Marine. Respect is something you earn through your actions. A Master Gunny didnt get there because he had a great personality. He got there because he got the job done when he had to. He got to a place Ive never been close to. Or Russ. Nor will most of you ever get there. He earned his respect. I feel sorry for those that think they hand it out at mail call.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-09-11, 06:41 PM
It would appear, from my reading just the first pages, that this Marine had issues at some time/some place, that couldn't be resolved, and he decided to make an issue of it, publicly. Not sure what the deal is but I'm working on it. Perhaps a case of hurt feelings or something else. Once I read through the entire thread I'll make my decision and go from there.

OK...I've read the entire thing and STILL don't 'get' what the offending commentary is/was. However, I'm closing this one down for the good of the order.

RO, I suggest you check us out...and you'll find that overt racism is NOT tolerated around here, period. Ask some of my 'liberal' bretheren how using a certain word as a 'test' got them a several week 'vacation' from us. There are, in fact, limits to what I will allow when it comes to certain things. Other things, it's a free for all. If you wander into the political section, you'll see it's a nightly knife fight and can get bloody. However, most, if not all, of us, leave those opines at the door when we wander into the other sections. That's why we HAVE a political section.

I wouldn't hesitate to help any of my fellow Marines here if they asked, no matter what their political affiliations are. We can argue politics later if one of my fellow Marines is in trouble. Period.

Stick around, nose around, and feel free to interplay with our members. IF there is an issue, don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

RonaldOverby
05-09-11, 06:47 PM
I respect you TOP and the fact you were able to attain the rank of E-9 is outstanding and wihout question it deserves respect, we all say things in the heat of the moment. for those that think i dont respect you or your rank they just don't know me.

Semper Fi

R-

Sgt Leprechaun
05-09-11, 06:49 PM
RO, please read my post above yours. I'll leave this thread open for any response you might want to do out of courtesy for you (as a last word). Then I'm closing it, as it appears to me the issue has been resolved.

RonaldOverby
05-09-11, 07:00 PM
blanket statements are no good for anybody. once again i appologize to all of my brother Marines and i ask that i be given another chance. I respect everyone and i am not the person some may think, i consider this matter resolved. thank you Sgt Lep for reviewing this thread.

Semper Fi

R-

Sgt Leprechaun
05-09-11, 07:18 PM
So noted, sir. Closed for the good of the order.