PDA

View Full Version : The most realistic boot camp video I have ever seen.

AlohaMarine
05-06-11, 11:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud9ZOIyMO7Y&feature=related

Wow, pretty amazing considering it was made like 40 years ago. It hits the entire cycle almost to a t even today.

It will probably bring back memories for alot of you older Devil Dogs. :flag:

YLDNDN6
05-07-11, 08:38 AM
The first thing I noticed was how calm and serene the Drill Instructors were. Just like in the real world!

Yonkers
05-07-11, 02:32 PM
Loving every minute of it

3043pog
05-08-11, 12:01 AM
Outside of a few discrepancies(circa 1988) same boot camp as mine!

YourPhoneIsMine
05-08-11, 06:20 PM
well at least now I can show this video to any of the old salts claiming "WHAT IS THIS FREE TIME BULL**** WE DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT RAAAAWR"

YourPhoneIsMine
05-08-11, 09:21 PM
which is exactly what it is today but I've seen plenty of poolee threads where guys who went through in the 70s claim that there was no such thing

Rooger
05-08-11, 09:24 PM
Marines.....the boot camp scenes from "Full Metal Jacket" was almost EXACT! at least from my perspective.

advanced
05-09-11, 09:25 AM
I would have liked to have gone through that boot camp. The one I went through was also much more like the one in Full Metal Jacket, except we had 5 DI's.

jumpinjack
05-09-11, 10:07 AM
Yes them DI's seemed alot quieter than the ones that sreamed up my nostels. In 1968 they was very agressive in there training. They squared my sh-t away quickly. And yeah I remember free hour and even if you didn't smoke everyone could not wait till the smoking lamp was lit. They can't smoke at all now right?

advanced
05-09-11, 10:28 AM
Yes them DI's seemed alot quieter than the ones that sreamed up my nostels. In 1968 they was very agressive in there training. They squared my sh-t away quickly. And yeah I remember free hour and even if you didn't smoke everyone could not wait till the smoking lamp was lit. They can't smoke at all now right?

Too bad it didn't last there jack, I know you didn't learn all that liberal bs at PI.

jumpinjack
05-09-11, 10:44 AM
I was a Hollywood Marine, and yeah I learned alot about morals and ethics, what is right and what is wrong. And yes all those morals and ethics is still with me today in my work ethics and moral actions. I am still today 43 yrs later a marine. It will be 43 yrs come 20 May .

advanced
05-09-11, 11:23 AM
I was a Hollywood Marine, and yeah I learned alot about morals and ethics, what is right and what is wrong. And yes all those morals and ethics is still with me today in my work ethics and moral actions. I am still today 43 yrs later a marine. It will be 43 yrs come 20 May .

Fair enough there Jack, now that you've explained you're a Hollowed Marine. S/F

YourPhoneIsMine
05-09-11, 11:29 AM
They can't smoke at all now right?

Don't know when it was realized that smoking was horrible for one's physical performance and endurance but soon as they caught on I would hope they nixed it pretty quickly.

FistFu68
05-09-11, 12:13 PM
:evilgrin: Free Time...Hell mine was triple time 'cause I was Plt.307's House Mouse :scared: :iwo:

CrockettJW
05-09-11, 01:39 PM
When I was in Boot Camp, I don't think it was ever called "free time." I think it was called "square away time." That was when you showered, shaved, brushed teeth, used the head, got your uniforms ready, got your bunk ready for inspection (I think we had to lay out our belt buckle, razor, and a few other things every night), and if there was time, you could write a letter home. If you didn't have anything to do, you were supposed to stand on-line and read your Knowledge. We could also get away with talking among ourselves, but only if we kept it quiet.

jumpinjack
05-09-11, 02:27 PM
I can still do my S'es in 3 mins, well at least 2 of the S'es. Somethings seem to take a touch longer now. At 60 life is a touch more interesting, wake up in the am and sound like a box of Rice Crispy's my 1st 20 step to the head.

CrockettJW
05-09-11, 03:26 PM
Because there were 84 of us (to begin with), we had to do everything in shifts and the guide or squad leader had to change the shifts. I think it was something like: 1) sinks, 2) showers, 3) toilets, and 4) back at your bunk to square your gear away, but in a different order each night.

Mongoose
05-09-11, 05:13 PM
We never had what you call free time. Many things we had to do after lights out. Sometimes up till 12 or 1 in the morning. On Sundays we washed , cleaned rifles and all the other little shet details. Always outside.

jumpinjack
05-09-11, 05:31 PM
in SD we had to police the area and rake the grass, if it wasn't green police it, it it wouldn't move make it green.Then is was spit and polish, make the brass shine and rilfes was cleaned.

Mongoose
05-09-11, 05:40 PM
in SD we had to police the area and rake the grass, if it wasn't green police it, it it wouldn't move make it green.Then is was spit and polish, make the brass shine and rilfes was cleaned.
Jack, I dont remember any grass. At least not in our area, But we did have to police up.

Carpshooter
05-09-11, 07:11 PM
I should of gone to Paradise Island and avoided being a Hollywood Marine .

I'm sorry brothers , but I was not the best recruit inducted into the Corps as that was not in my dream of a career in " Today's Army " , and did rate alot of hands on attention plus all that extra EXERCISE AND STANDING TO ATTENTION while my DIs kept trying to hurt my feelings that I never had !

I did graduate with my yellow footprint guys back in June of '69 !

My platoon had a high AWOL rate , no one asked me to come along and that's why I was always left behind , besides California is full of freaks and was a dangerous place to be wonderring around with a redneck haircut in military attire ! :D

My boot camp was closer to that on " Full Medal Jacket " with AWOLS and running over those who dropped out of ranks or fell down , while running !

The Battalion came down on my DIs to stop all the AWOLLING , when an AWOLLER at the range squealled on them somehow as he found someone who listen . He was the last guy to do that ( AWOL ) and the only one to graduate with us !

My story is not like what I see in this film at Paradise Island !

PS. I didn't graduate , " I survived " and just walked away from my DIs , who I would never see again ! It would be over a year before I'd like being a Marine , nothing like being in a combat zone in order to like who you are !:iwo:

iamspartacus
05-10-11, 05:21 PM
What the hell is "motivation platoon"? Is that where you sit around and share your feelings with the DI and he tells you, "buck up, it will be okay. Hang in there sport"? We sure as hell didn't have a motivation platoon. If you're ass couldn't adjust, tough ****!

jumpinjack
05-10-11, 05:26 PM
Jack, I dont remember any grass. At least not in our area, But we did have to police up.
There was not really any grass,our DI called the sand in front of the huts the grass we had to rack, all rocks was painted olivedrap green.

RonaldOverby
05-10-11, 07:19 PM
That was pretty cool, i didnt go to paradise island (lol) i was a hollywood Marine,MountMTHERFKR HOOOOOOOOO!!!! i dont know if it was because they were filming but it looked a little soft to me, dont jump on me guys, i dont remember being treated that fkin nice. LOL after all was said and done i did really enjoyed watching that though... big ups to the guy that posted this thread..

LandsNGrooves
05-10-11, 07:38 PM
I love watching these old vids. Stuff like DI have what I would consider a "Normal" haircut, and service uniform that were worn all day, not some uncomfortable, painted on charlie suit you only get out for inspections.

I also noticed the sentry at the gate had a cross draw holster. It was a simpler time

advanced
05-11-11, 05:26 AM
What the hell is "motivation platoon"? Is that where you sit around and share your feelings with the DI and he tells you, "buck up, it will be okay. Hang in there sport"? We sure as hell didn't have a motivation platoon. If you're ass couldn't adjust, tough ****!

Back in the day, if you did not keep up in training you were sent to "Motivation Platoon." Imagine being sent to "Hell" until you decided to get with the program.

LCPLE3
05-11-11, 06:13 AM
I would have liked to have gone through that boot camp. The one I went through was also much more like the one in Full Metal Jacket, except we had 5 DI's.

I had five to! Picture of them in my profile. Parris Island 1975.

kaelobo
05-11-11, 06:27 AM
Chrome doomes/cattle cars off to motivation, craw around in swamp mud all day on your back the stagnet water right below your nose, they be on the banks with a long poles poken you under the sh*t, and you had a full pack on, than run a couple miles, you would load up it was dark when you got back it was dark. thats where i seen the fat body platoon, look like they were having fun , s/f

advanced
05-11-11, 06:40 AM
Chrome doomes/cattle cars off to motivation, craw around in swamp mud all day on your back the stagnet water right below your nose, they be on the banks with a long poles poken you under the sh*t, and you had a full pack on, than run a couple miles, you would load up it was dark when you got back it was dark. thats where i seen the fat body platoon, look like they were having fun , s/f

Correct - the only thing worse than Motivation Platoon was CCP (Corrective Custody Platoon). We'd see them at the mess hall while we were at the range at PI. Have you ever heard of eating a square meal where you stare ahead (never moving your eyes), your fork going to your food, then straight up, then parallel to your mouth.

I could only imagine being so scared that you wouldn't even dare to look around even for an instant. What those guys must have gone through.

As bad as training was, when we saw those guys we busted it to stay in training. Also, on 3 or 4 occasions our DI's would send 10 recruits at a time to one day motivation. They would fall out early in the morning and wouldn't get back to late at night. Wet, full of sand and dog tired. The stories they would tell of their experience certainly motivated me.

Mongoose
05-11-11, 07:04 AM
We saw the M.P. plt. a couple of times in S.D. Just seeing what those guys were going through was enough motivation for me.

kaelobo
05-11-11, 09:55 AM
Strange i probably would of never remember them days but some reason it clear today.i seen a FB move a truck load of sand about 200yards with a bucket and a DI in his face slapping his ears.calling him names like your mother never had any kids that lived. along with the standard MF puke,pus*y etc,the recruit be drench with sweat he be crying, they do this sun up sun down. DI"s at PI were bad as* dudes ,than the DI have the recruit move the sand back were it was. Marines did not let you out .they didnt have cards you flash, they send you to the brig, this was 1968 summer . s/f:evilgrin:

R Landry
05-11-11, 03:52 PM
Love that Greyhound Super Scenicruiser!

I don't remember running around with pugil sticks batting at dummies. We just had the basic stick training in an open field and then faced off one-on-one.

Hard to believe that I did that confidence course.

Hard to believe that I once could do pull-ups.

Great to see the old 1st Battalion white wooden barracks next to the grinder.

Carpshooter
05-11-11, 04:21 PM
I remember there being a motivation platoon at San Diego , as just with the Awols , I was never chosen or asked to go along and was stuck in the company of my recruit platoon under the watchfull eyes of my DIs !

I just never made the grade to even be in the CCP . :(
Those DIs did drive me nuts at times and if the Corps was going to be like my boot camp experience , I know that I'd be gone !

I faked things (like liking being there ) , and just put up with the mindless games and punishment that were played there ! :p

It changed me , as I don't like to let fate determine my future .;)

CrockettJW
05-11-11, 04:25 PM
Correct - the only thing worse than Motivation Platoon was CCP (Corrective Custody Platoon). We'd see them at the mess hall while we were at the range at PI. Have you ever heard of eating a square meal where you stare ahead (never moving your eyes), your fork going to your food, then straight up, then parallel to your mouth.

I could only imagine being so scared that you wouldn't even dare to look around even for an instant. What those guys must have gone through.

As bad as training was, when we saw those guys we busted it to stay in training. Also, on 3 or 4 occasions our DI's would send 10 recruits at a time to one day motivation. They would fall out early in the morning and wouldn't get back to late at night. Wet, full of sand and dog tired. The stories they would tell of their experience certainly motivated me.

I don't remember a Motivation Platoon at MCRD, unless maybe that was the same thing as the Physical Conditioning Platoon (PCP). We had guys who were a little overweight who would have to go to that when the rest of us would be cleaning rifles or some other function.

I remember Corrective Custody Unit (CCU) on the East Coast. When I was at Camp Johnson, there was a guy there who spent 30 days there before rejoining a class. I don't know what he was like when he left for CCU, but when he returned, he was a bit off.

I had a room-mate at New River who got 30 days with CCU. I think this was around the time when he got busted from E-3 to E-2. He said they would sometimes go to this place where they would swing sledge hammers at rocks, but it was always to cadence. He also said they'd get to sleep in on Sundays and not have to get out of the rack until 5:30 or something like that and, instead of breaking rocks, they would go on a road march.

kaelobo
05-11-11, 05:22 PM
I went there 3days i had achip on my shoulder, and they wanted to show me who boss was, and they did, motiviton you could not make 2hr if you were fat ,that why they had fat body platoons, had i been sent there again iwould have started over, boy iremember get off them cattle cars and crack DI wac you on the doom as hard as he could with a oak sick about 3inch round,and than the fun began. PI me AND my sand fleas. s/f

R Landry
05-11-11, 06:06 PM
Anyone remember that swampy smell?

kaelobo
05-12-11, 05:15 AM
Yea R we never change our clothes for three days when we got back our boots and pants it was a bout 1inch thick mud dried,never went to motivation again, went to nam, mud turn red (MARBALE mountain ran off a chop at night sunk up to my ass red clay sh*t my self that night) s/f

gkmoz
05-12-11, 09:38 AM
Anyone remember that swampy smell?

Is still there ! Just got back a couple days ago from a visit to P.I.
First thing I noticed was the smell.
It has changed so much, didn't see one plt running anywhere the whole time on base.
Went to the rifle range it looked the same,same barracks we went thru.
went to observe all three Bn's. Today seems a little silly to me now ! but it sure scared the Crap out of me then. :!: Aug/68 to Oct/68

RonaldOverby
05-12-11, 10:57 AM
We started out with 79 recruits and graduated 46, I really dont know what happened to those that didnt make it, I think a few got pulled for issues in the past or something, some btched and wined and wrote home saying they were being abused (that made it worse), we had what we called Diet recruit's they were put on a special diet and worked on mentally and physically like you wouldn't believe to there credit all of our diet recruit's lost mad weight and graduated. I found out early on The key was to rip through all phases of b/c that sht gave the DI's a hard on and they looked to you to square mofo's away i remember these words, OVERBY - LOCK HIM ON!!!. if you couldnt hack it then you became a victim and b/c became a nightmare!

civgrunt05
05-12-11, 11:23 AM
Have you ever heard of eating a square meal where you stare ahead (never moving your eyes), your fork going to your food, then straight up, then parallel to your mouth.

That was the norm for us. You weren't allowed to look at your food. You had to sit at attention and stare directly ahead, and the drill instructors loved to come by and scream at you and make you stop eating for a minute. I remember one time my drill instructor thought I got too many bacon bits (I intentionally got a lot because I was starving for protien). He made me stop eating and count my "bacos" individually. I didn't eat that meal - ha. I went from 190 at 6' tall doing 14 pullups and got out weighing 150 lbs doing 8 pullups. A little more food/time to eat it would have been great.

The only time we were allowed to look about while we ate was at the warrior's breakfast after the crucible. We stuffed our faces and thought we were kings. We got back to the squad bay and played "rear hatch" until guys started puking up their warrior's breakfast and then we played "squad bay cleanup" where some more puking ensued.

Good times.

advanced
05-12-11, 12:52 PM
That was the norm for us. You weren't allowed to look at your food. You had to sit at attention and stare directly ahead, and the drill instructors loved to come by and scream at you and make you stop eating for a minute. I remember one time my drill instructor thought I got too many bacon bits (I intentionally got a lot because I was starving for protien). He made me stop eating and count my "bacos" individually. I didn't eat that meal - ha. I went from 190 at 6' tall doing 14 pullups and got out weighing 150 lbs doing 8 pullups. A little more food/time to eat it would have been great.

The only time we were allowed to look about while we ate was at the warrior's breakfast after the crucible. We stuffed our faces and thought we were kings. We got back to the squad bay and played "rear hatch" until guys started puking up their warrior's breakfast and then we played "squad bay cleanup" where some more puking ensued.

Good times.

No, you don't understand what I said. CCP Corrective Custody Platoon - Where all day long you break big rocks into small rocks. Where you don't even dare move your eyes because your very life depends on it. PI 1967, very much different from 2005.

CrockettJW
05-12-11, 01:13 PM
I saw those guys in the chow hall, too. I think it was after a big storm (maybe Hurricane Hugo) and they were sent to clean out all the storm drains. <br />
<br />
They all got their trays and would stand...