PDA

View Full Version : Re enlistment

Cplharry0621
05-04-11, 12:41 PM
I'm trying to re enlist. I'm looking for a good place to go. I'm with 3/7 out of the stumps and have two combat deployments. Just looking for somewhere where someone had been that will benefit me as a marine. I have a wife and 3 kids and want the best for them. I'm currently teetering on getting out or staying in. Any suggestions? Just trying to get info on possible stepping stones for better things. Thanks.

Without comm.......your just camping

Chadly
05-04-11, 12:56 PM
It would help if we knew what your MOS is since not all units rate every MOS.

I'm guessing 06XX?

weapons124
05-04-11, 03:55 PM
stay active and have to run everything from vacations to purchasing a motorcycle by the USMC before you do it. Be ready to pcs every 3 years to a new duty station and get ready for your b billet.. If you dont mind moving your kids from state to state, school to school go for it. The Benefits are solid and the pay is ok at best. Some just love being active and the structure it gives.

Go reserve, live normal and still serve and train hard. I am with a line company so we train hard. We have a very tight unit. Be prepared to motivate yourself and pt on your own. You are still held to the same standards as your active counterparts and with the usmc slimming down they are booting people on BCP and for any other reason they can which is good. Makes the Corps stronger. Lots of public events(funeral honors, toys for tots etc that count towards retirement points) You will have your yearly pft/cft as well as all the other quals.

Tennessee Top
05-04-11, 04:07 PM
Not heard about the recession?

If you want the best for your family don't get out. There are posts on here all the time from former Marines regretting they ever got out, trying to get back in, and not having any success.

The grass is NOT greener on this side.

Once you reenlist, work on enhancing your opportunities for promotion (NCO school, off duty education, etc.). As soon as you're eligible, look into something like Inspector-Instructor duty (you can take your family with you and live in a community somewhere).

As for duty stations, lots of families seem to enjoy Camp LeJeune and it's cheaper cost of living compared to Camp Pendleton.

Good luck with your decisions.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-05-11, 12:06 AM
Concur.

Depends on what YOU want to do?

Intelligence (0231) is a good job.

Aviation? Lots of cool stuff to do there.

lavgunman
05-06-11, 06:55 PM
Stay in and go Intel, less chance to be denied a reenlistment in the future and may have a higher chance of a bonus. Plus you would be allowed to go a wide variety of units. And has very strong Civilian opportunities on the other side.