PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Girlfriend

Goldman
05-03-11, 03:44 PM
Hello Marines. My girlfriend is 3 month's pregnant, and my ship date is October 11th 2011. That puts her expected due date some time while I'm at Boot Camp. I was wondering if there were any rules or stipulations where she can have the baby on base? I'm not going to miss my first child's birth. So if she can't have it on base while I'm at boot. Then I'm going to push my Ship Date farther back. Oh the sacrifices I have to make. =/

Zulu 36
05-03-11, 04:32 PM
Don't people use condoms and take birth control pills anymore?

No, she can't have the baby on base for one big reason: She isn't your wedded wife.

Additionally, even if she were, you wouldn't be allowed anywhere near her because there are no maternity facilities on the MCRDs and you would be busy with a little thing called boot camp.

Does your recruiter know about this little twist? If not, better tell him ASAP.

Tennessee Top
05-03-11, 04:52 PM
OK...what about #2 or #3 and you're deployed aboard ship or in a combat zone over in bumbfvck Egypt. Gonna ship her over there? Maybe ask for a "time out" chit?

Did somebody forget to tell you you're joining the USMC? You need a wake-up call son.

Marine dad's miss their kid's births every single day (it's called deployment and it comes along with the job).

I know you're going to accept your responsibility and step up to the plate anyway so why not marry the little lady before you ship? That way, she'll be your legal dependent and so will the baby (she'll rate medical/life insurance while you're at bootcamp).

Good luck...your timing could be better.

iamspartacus
05-03-11, 05:02 PM
Before you take Top's advice and marry her, double check with your recruiter first. I'm pretty sure there are limitations on people enlisting with a certain number of dependents. You and just the wife is fine, but I'm not sure how many kids you are allowed to have when you enlist... maybe not any. Just lay it all out with the recruiter and make sure.

But yeah, if you want to see your first child's birth you're going to have to push your ship date back. And if you're planning on having any other kids while you're in you better be okay with the chance you won't get to see them born.

chulaivet1966
05-03-11, 05:07 PM
Goldman....

You have to realize how silly this sounds to some here...including me.
You have not made any 'sacrifices' as of yet from my perspective and those responding have made the sacrifices and provided some suggestions for you.

This is not the Cub Scouts or a college fraternity you are considering...it's the Marine Corps.

Don't mean to sound condescending but that is my opinion.

Good luck...

Phantom Blooper
05-03-11, 05:24 PM
Wear a sock when you ruck.....

SGT7477
05-03-11, 07:49 PM
But that's like taking a shower with a raincoat on, Semper Fidelis.:D

Zulu 36
05-03-11, 07:54 PM
But that's like taking a shower with a raincoat on, Semper Fidelis.:D

Yeah, but it helps prevent oops babies and pipebending diseases (or worse). :sick:

BadAce2212
05-03-11, 08:18 PM
Henry Beecher once said, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich." Life is all about sacrifices. Sometimes you dont get what you want. But when you realize you didn't get what you want because you were working for something that means alot more, it's then you respect sacrifice. My opinion, go to boot camp, become a Marine. Your kid will respect you alot more for being a Marine than for being at his/her birth.

USNAviator
05-03-11, 08:30 PM
Hello Marines. My girlfriend is 3 month's pregnant, and my ship date is October 11th 2011. That puts her expected due date some time while I'm at Boot Camp. I was wondering if there were any rules or stipulations where she can have the baby on base? I'm not going to miss my first child's birth. So if she can't have it on base while I'm at boot. Then I'm going to push my Ship Date farther back. Oh the sacrifices I have to make. =/

You have no concept what it means to be a parent, a father, a Dad. Your questions have already been answered far better than what I could supply

What sacrifices are you making? To push your ship date back further???? God almigty get ready for some real sacrifices and I'm not talking about the Corps. I don't see any intent to marry this woman, the mother of your "first child" If you don't get married expect to hear from her attorney re. child support and that unavoidable. Don't pay it, you go to jail. Expect to pay more as the child grows older, your 50% of medical bills, school costs, clothes and "incidentals" Even if you do marry and it works out, these expenses will still be there and they will continue to grow

Son you have no concept of what sacrifice really means

But good luck to you

Phantom Blooper
05-03-11, 08:52 PM
Marines and servicemen and women of all branches make sacrifices.

No Christmas.....no holidays....missed birthdays.....1st steps.....duty on days that you "promised"as family time.....the list is endless.

When you sign the dotted line and raise your hand.....you are now at the beck and call of Uncle Sam......

With the technology of today and the commitment that you make to serve you may be able to have movies .....videos or whatever techno stuff you have to commemorate your memories.....

As far as delaying your ship date to boot camp because of the birth of a child is something that you should think long and hard about.....

If and when you become a Marine......you cannot delay a war.... conflict....or mission because of family matters......emergencies are different.....the command and Red Cross will get you there if there is a need.....or complications.

With all the love and Kodak moments that over the course of your enlistment that you will miss.....you need to decide what your priorities are.....

Some may debate this...but your your Marine Corps mission and letting the home front be in the hands of your significant CO......comes first.

It's a tough life......and if you sign a contract to go.....in my opine you should.....delaying may mess up your MOS school timeline.....

It is your choice.....but as posted.....you can't always have what you want....but you mostly get what you need when you work for Uncle Sam....

In the future..... even though the child will be a complete bundle of joy.....think with your 1st brain.....instead of your second.....

SGT7477
05-03-11, 09:49 PM
Yeah, but it helps prevent oops babies and pipebending diseases (or worse). :sick:
Unless it breaks, nothing is 100% but having none, Semper Fidelis.:D

Cpl Heglar
05-04-11, 07:37 AM

Hey forget the sock she's already pregnate. Hit it like a rabid dog for the next 6 months :)

doc h fmf
05-04-11, 07:50 AM
I cant believe this irresponsibLE KID IS EVEN ASKING THAT QUESTION HE SHOULD HAVE WENT FOR A SHIPPING DATE AFTER HIS BABBY WAS BORN. people these days are using the wrong head. ANYWAY GOODLUCK SON

stephen doc hansen hm3 FMF

Cpl Heglar
05-04-11, 08:15 AM
I cant believe this irresponsibLE KID IS EVEN ASKING THAT QUESTION HE SHOULD HAVE WENT FOR A SHIPPING DATE AFTER HIS BABBY WAS BORN. people these days are using the wrong head. ANYWAY GOODLUCK SON

stephen doc hansen hm3 FMF

That may be true doc but it is the only one that matters in the grand scheme of things, Wouldn't you aggree? To procreate or not to procreate that is the question.

Phantom Blooper
05-04-11, 10:54 AM
Don't people use condoms and take birth control pills anymore?

Tie em on to the muffler of the car and watch them blow up.....and hang the neat little bubble pack from the rear view mirror...so when the sun hits it.... it shines nice and purdy with all those prisim colors...

Keep a box of 12 in the nightstand for memories......:cry:

YLDNDN6
05-04-11, 05:45 PM
Carry on with your scheduled ship date and let mama have the little one while you are in Boot Camp. You will have the knowledge that you are ALREADY doing something positive for the life of your little one (i.e. earning a paycheck/means of support). If your recruiter says the Marine Corps will authorize you to have a wife before you ship, then by all means make an honest woman of her, so that she might have the benefit of insurance and some sort of support while you are away. Your situation is as follows:
1. You are going to ship out to become a Marine
2. You have a girlfriend
3. You have managed to impregnate said girlfriend
If you follow the above advice to the letter, you may stand a chance of actually getting this thing right. No matter what you decide to do, you will have to know in your heart that it is the right thing to do for yourself, little mama, and your baby. Good luck and God speed, young man.

linda1945
05-04-11, 08:07 PM
Henry Beecher once said, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich." Life is all about sacrifices. Sometimes you dont get what you want. But when you realize you didn't get what you want because you were working for something that means alot more, it's then you respect sacrifice. My opinion, go to boot camp, become a Marine. Your kid will respect you alot more for being a Marine than for being at his/her birth.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-11, 11:46 PM
Lots of good advice here. I think everything that needs to be said, has been.

To recap:

1: Your 'girlfriend' isn't your wife. Therefore, she rates...nothing. Nada. She will NOT be your 'dependant'.

2: While a recruit, even if you are married, she still wouldn't get anything. That's basically the way it works.

3: Your child, once born, would be your 'dependant'. Ergo, expect to have child support deducted from your pay, like it or not. Base housing is not an option for you in the foreseeable future.

4: Last I checked, you can enlist with the baby and/or even the wife/baby. BUT..you need to let the recruiter know ASAP so this can be prepared for. Man up and take the responsibility.

This one is closed.