PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about my next career move...need some insight

sdv0390
05-03-11, 03:22 PM
Semper Fi All,

Im planning my next career move in the Corps and im lookin for some advice from those who have been there, done that.

At the moment im a mech in the Wing, and will be getting ready to re-enlist not too long from now. I've got a couple options I'm looking at:

1. Lat-move. Im seriously considering moving to a different field most likely field artillery (0861), or tank crewmember. Anone with anything to say about these fields( the schools, promotions, etc)? My main concern with this is that I dont know how I'd be recieved primarily as a Winger going to the ground side, and secondly as a corporal new to the field.

2. OCS. By time Im ready to re-enlist, I'll have a degree and be able to go to OCS. Not really sure about this, but its an option.

Tennessee Top
05-03-11, 04:31 PM
Are you married (may have a bearing on your decision)?

What is your degree in? Don't want to work in your field of study (obviously it's not in tanks or artillary)?

At my point in your career (LCpl) is when I applied to and got accepted for MSG duty. It's a special assignment/"B" billet like recruiting and Drill Instructor and will help with promotions/career. Sgt's and below must be unmarried. My best friend when I was a watchstander on that program was a helo mechanic/air winger. This is not one of the options you listed but may be something to consider if you just need a break from your MOS. Check with your career planner for more info.

Not sure but don't think enlisted personnel can just go to OCS. Believe you'll have to apply to one of the commissioning programs like MECEP. There will be a Marine Corps Order covering qualifications. See your education NCO.

Never did LatMove so can't really say how you'd be received or anything like that.

Good luck with your research/decision and let us know what you decide.

sdv0390
05-03-11, 04:55 PM
Thanks MSgt.

MSG is something i'd like to do but isnt available to me. I'm a reservist. Guess I should have mentioned that in my first post.

weapons124
05-04-11, 04:02 PM
if you want to go grunt do it. You will then need a deployment under your belt otheriwse your career will go flat. Nothing worse than a future butter bar or sgt with 2 ribbons. They get no respect and end up getting told what to do by salty lances and cpls. Regardless of your mos if you lat over to the grunt side you will be considered a boot and will have to prove your self. Make the best of whatever you do

Apache
05-04-11, 04:12 PM
Regardless of your choice you will have to prove yourself
If OCS is an option take a good look at it
What about a. Ground filed an an officer ?

sdv0390
05-06-11, 10:38 AM
Ill have one deployment under my belt by the time reenlistment comes so we'll see what that does for my decorations. I agree I dont want to be a 2ndLT with no ribbons. Right now Im strongl leaning towards the forward observer MOS on the groundside.