PDA

View Full Version : My final six days.

Barnett20110425
05-03-11, 12:04 PM
I just made a post in the poolee hall but I know that
some of the Marines on here can't post there so I'm
making a post here.

I'm shipping to boot on 20110509, six days.
I'm extremely motivated and can't wait until I
can report back and let you all know that I have
earned my title as Marine.

I guess since this is the "Ask A Marine" forum I
should ask a question.

Any last minute advice?

chulaivet1966
05-03-11, 12:28 PM
'last minute advice'....OK.....just couple of thoughts come to mind from my time.

Set the best example during your training and strive to be the toughest in your platoon as you may be called upon some day to save a Brother during combat.
Let all around you know, by example...not bluster, that earning The Title is paramount and that nothing will keep you from that goal.
Lead by example.
When you think you have nothing left in the tank during your upcoming challenges........you dig deep like never before in your life.
There are few rewards in life that measure up to earning The Title.

Do not embarrass us weed hopper.<grin>

Best of luck....

Barnett20110425
05-03-11, 12:34 PM
Thank you very much for that.
Honestly it gave me chills when I read it.

I know that I will overcome any obstacle that stands in the way of me and the title of Marine and eventually Recon Marine.

chulaivet1966
05-03-11, 01:23 PM
Thank you very much for that.
Honestly it gave me chills when I read it.

I know that I will overcome any obstacle that stands in the way of me and the title of Marine and eventually Recon Marine.

Do not ever forget this commitment to yourself when you hit the yellow footprints.....repeat as necessary.
You don't realize this now but before you know it boot will be done and you can say to yourself........
'...self, holy ****....I did it!'

Glad to offer some perspective.

sparkie
05-03-11, 01:26 PM
Advice? Family time. When you get back all will be different. You, and them.

DrZ
05-03-11, 01:29 PM
Same statement one more time.

Keep your head and butt wired together. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. Do everything quickly and give 100%

Remember it is 13 weeks.... 91 days to achieve your title.

Finally, remember to come back here with your title to allow us to welcome you into the family of Marines.

Good luck!

Cpl Heglar
05-03-11, 01:47 PM
Hey send me a sand flea! I miss the little buggers!

(just because chulaivett1966 gave better advice than I can)

chulaivet1966
05-03-11, 01:59 PM
Hey send me a sand flea! I miss the little buggers!

(just because chulaivett1966 gave better advice than I can)

Good one...Barnett could probably use a bit of levity at this juncture.

Barnett20110425
05-03-11, 02:19 PM
Thanks Marines. Glad to have some seriousness and some humor.
I hope that I won't be around any sand fleas at San Diego.

East coast, west coast. A Marine is a Marine.

Tookie22
05-03-11, 05:38 PM
Just do what you are told. When things get beyond dumb, there is a reason for everything. You are going to hate life but live chow to chow, sunday to sunday. You will realize the routine of things and do your time. You will be stressed, dont run away or try to kill yourself. Lastly enjoy it. I would go back to bootcamp, honestly many Marines will say how hard it is. Sadly its the new Corps. You wont always have the priveledge of getting your 8 hours of sleep and 3 meals a day. PT every other day. Lots of drill and IT. Not as hard as when my grandfather was in.

Tennessee Top
05-03-11, 06:08 PM
Don't pi$$ your pants when your DI grabs you by your stack and swivel (that's a throat in case you didn't know).

Oh forgot...this is the all-volunteer force; they take an oath to be nicey-nice and can't cuss or touch you anymore. Wouldn't want to scare a recruit today.

Never mind. Have a nice vacation in sunny San Diego.

Rocky C
05-03-11, 06:14 PM
Teamwork !!!

Good Luck Grasshopper :)

chulaivet1966
05-03-11, 06:25 PM
they take an oath to be nicey-nice and can't cuss or touch you anymore. Wouldn't want to scare a recruit today.

Never mind. Have a nice vacation in sunny San Diego.

Wow....so....DI's have to work the recruits with one arm tied behind their back. <grin>

My....things have changed and I don't like it.
I wonder what the older Marines/DI's think of this 'nicey-nice' pablum policy.

Back to topic...

SGT7477
05-03-11, 07:55 PM
Put your heart into everything, mind over matter, stay away from Maggies drawers, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

BadAce2212
05-03-11, 09:27 PM
My best advice...When your feet hit those yellow footprints, and anytime you become discouraged, remember exactly why you are there, the goals you have set for yourself, and that you are not the only one to encounter the troubles that come with being a recruit. There have been many before you that made it through and there will be many after you.

BadAce2212
05-03-11, 09:30 PM
Also, I look forward to welcoming another Brother into my beloved Corps and into my extensive Family.Semper Fidelis.

Phantom Blooper
05-04-11, 05:21 AM
stay away from Maggies drawers

But do your best to get into someones drawers before you leave....13 weeks is a long time.......

Barnett20110425
05-04-11, 01:58 PM
I enjoyed your post Top... as well as everyone elses.
It really means alot to me for you Marines to help this poolee out. (Third person I know)
I can't wait for that day when I will be welcomed into the Marine family.
I know what the translation of Semper Fidelis is but I with soon learn the meaning.

From what I've heard about boot being softer makes me think that I'll be a bit
disappointed.
Either was I can't wait.

Marine3451
05-04-11, 02:45 PM
Oh you wont be disappointed. Just because they cant hit you doesnt mean your not going to feel pain in the pit every morning right after lights. Or my favorite you take your PT shower and then get thrashed while your still wet.

Tookie22
05-07-11, 12:45 PM
Ooh sugar cookies my favorite.

Yonkers
05-07-11, 02:18 PM
Keep the mentallity of : "It is what it is" "Life will get A LOT better after boot camp" "This is not how the Marine Corps is gonna be like" "Chow to Chow Sunday to Sunday" and you'll be alright... just remember those things and write your family and good luck... Don't get on your DI's nerves or life will be much harder then it needs to be... Either stick out in a good way or don't stick out at all.

Ceckert85
05-07-11, 02:56 PM
You want advice well all i can say is lets hope you end up in hotel company becuase they thrash you the hardest out of all the companies in my opinion. Boot camp is only as hard as you make it. I use to go from sunday to sunday, chow to chow. sunrise to sun down. masters these and you will be fine. if i were you and you really want to prove a point to your platoon/ volunteer to get IT every chance you get because it will get you in shape quick, and your platton might have more respect for you. go out for guide or squad leader and it might get you a promotion to PFC, and if your already a contract PFC you may as well shoot to be guide, and then push even harder for honorman and get Meritorious LCpl out of boot camp.

GunRock0811
05-07-11, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure where this quote is from or if some recruit just made it up....Anyway, it was written under my rack in first phase, I found it while field daying.

"As all seasons must, this too shall pass"

When things got stupid not only in bootcamp but in the fleet or on deployment as well, I would think of it. Good luck

Barnett20110425
05-08-11, 05:51 PM
This is good information. I thank you Marines.
I'm shipping out tomorrow. Looking forward to reporting back as Marine.

Marine3451
05-09-11, 01:42 PM
You want advice well all i can say is lets hope you end up in hotel company becuase they thrash you the hardest out of all the companies in my opinion. Boot camp is only as hard as you make it. I use to go from sunday to sunday, chow to chow. sunrise to sun down. masters these and you will be fine. if i were you and you really want to prove a point to your platoon/ volunteer to get IT every chance you get because it will get you in shape quick, and your platton might have more respect for you. go out for guide or squad leader and it might get you a promotion to PFC, and if your already a contract PFC you may as well shoot to be guide, and then push even harder for honorman and get Meritorious LCpl out of boot camp.

Must not have seen 3rd battalion, Mike Company Parris Island because our SDI was trying to break his old record and personally pitted us a a platoon 86 times. But Came in 190 and left 155

Barnett20110425
08-04-11, 06:16 PM
Well Marines I'm back as a Marine.
It was a long road but I've came back with my head held high.
I'll fill in details later.

2nd BN Golf Co
Plt 2142.

chulaivet1966
08-04-11, 09:11 PM
Well Marines I'm back as a Marine.
It was a long road but I've came back with my head held high.
I'll fill in details later. 2nd BN Golf Co Plt 2142.

Well done....Marine.

Short of being an obnoxious photo bug make sure and get pictures of all locations, events and Brothers you served with during your time.

Carry on....good luck.