PDA

View Full Version : Taking the DLAB

MunkyVsRobot
05-03-11, 06:11 AM
So I am taking the DLAB Thursday, any advice from you poolies who may have just taken it?

dotKev
05-03-11, 02:25 PM
Go into with an open mind, beyond that there is really nothing you can do to prepare for it. Good luck.

MunkyVsRobot
05-05-11, 07:26 PM
That test sucked. Forget that man it was tough especially the audio sections my short term memory is alright but not that great.

IHaveEGA843
05-05-11, 07:40 PM
So, any pointers?

MunkyVsRobot
05-05-11, 07:48 PM
Yeah work on listening and picking up inflection, work on your patricipals (SP?) of speech, and any short term memory work will help. The audio section you can only listen to once while trying to translate this made up language Getween 4 options.

My problem is as it got closer to the end the being up at 4am started getting to me and by the time you got to the last option you forgot what the first option sounded like.

The last section I cant even begin to tell you what to do because I had no clue what i was doing. I think you were trying to figure out what was going on in the pictures based on the pictures uptop, youll see what im talking about when you take it. All you will be thinking is WTF this sucks looks like im not gonna be a linguist haha. I got a 77 so I tanked oh well.

ETA: Im not sure if this would be illegal but they do try and trick you on the test too by giving you the same word 3 times in a sentence but they mean different things.

EX: (this one isnt on the test) the manager managed to manage and you have to figure out what it would translate into using their rules

holey336
05-05-11, 09:11 PM
im guessing the DLAB is for a specific MOS, I've never heard of it. what's it for?

Lisa 23
05-05-11, 09:14 PM
im guessing the DLAB is for a specific MOS, I've never heard of it. what's it for?

Try Google....it helps!

Defense Language Aptitude Battery
All About the DLAB

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm

FIELD 27, LINGUIST
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/27.htm

StephenKlein87
05-14-11, 12:46 AM
Anyone who is about to take this test should brush up on grammar rules. They say there is no way to study, but it does help to know the difference between a verb and a noun. I got a 114 on the test and I'm sure I would have bombed if I didn't do some studying before hand.

Smith92
05-14-11, 04:03 PM
The DLAB isn't that hard if you know your grammar. Just pay attention to vocal inflection, sentence structures, and use common sense. Good luck!

MunkyVsRobot
05-14-11, 05:18 PM
My problem wasnt sentence structure English is my joint. My problem was remembering what the 4 of the audio clips sounded like.

StephenKlein87
05-14-11, 09:14 PM
My problem wasnt sentence structure English is my joint. My problem was remembering what the 4 of the audio clips sounded like.

When they give you the 4 options and tell you to pick the one that sounds different, I just looked at each choice as the tune of a song. (Im a musician) Sounds stupid but it worked for me.

Smith92
05-14-11, 09:29 PM
When they give you the 4 options and tell you to pick the one that sounds different, I just looked at each choice as the tune of a song. (Im a musician) Sounds stupid but it worked for me.

I did the same thing! It worked like a charm.

MunkyVsRobot
05-15-11, 06:22 AM

Yeah I think that was the section i did the best on once it got to translating the whole phrase i was done for.