PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Fitness

StateFarm2011
05-02-11, 12:36 PM
Hello, I am currently 240 pounds, (yeah it sucks, trust me) and I want to lose weight to become a Corpsman. I recently purchased a mountain bike and I was wondering if this would help me lose weight and get me in shape for the USMC PFT. I know the PFT is running and not bicycling, so would bicycling get me on a good start?

Thanks,
David.

chulaivet1966
05-02-11, 01:06 PM
Check your PM's....I will try to answer any other specific questions should you have them.

StateFarm2011
05-02-11, 01:56 PM
Thanks alot man, I really appreciate it.

chulaivet1966
05-02-11, 03:36 PM
Thanks alot man, I really appreciate it.

No prob....realize one more thing.

There are no shortcuts, no pills, no magic.
Believe NOTHING you see or hear on TV or radio...it's all hype to help you part with hard earned money.
Forget the supplements and any other BS you might hear about.
Research the site I provided in my PM on nutrition/weight loss.
Weight loss (self-respect) is like anything else....you will succeed if you know that anything worth a **** in life or that is worth doing requires some sacrifice, commitment and discipliine.....just like what the Military will expect of you.

Good luck...

Brian810
05-20-11, 04:18 PM
No prob....realize one more thing.

There are no shortcuts, no pills, no magic.
Believe NOTHING you see or hear on TV or radio...it's all hype to help you part with hard earned money.
Forget the supplements and any other BS you might hear about.
Research the site I provided in my PM on nutrition/weight loss.
Weight loss (self-respect) is like anything else....you will succeed if you know that anything worth a **** in life or that is worth doing requires some sacrifice, commitment and discipliine.....just like what the Military will expect of you.

Good luck...

Do you mind providing that link in this topic so others can see it, including myself :D

Thanks!

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 04:27 PM
Of course...
I will include some other suggestions along with the link in case it helps:

Contrary to bro-science myths 'fats' do not make us fat.
The body needs fats and proteins....carbs must be thought of as natures' candy.
Stay away from all processed foods: packaged meats, empty carbs like most cold cereals, chips, junk food and all sodas.
Morning....have a mix of protein and good carbs. Fruits are OK but eat them during the course of the day and after about 3pm stop the carb intake.
Have only lean meat and vegetables for dinner.
CARDIO: do about 30-40 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week depending on your goals.
Remember a couple of things....it's not a diet...it's a life style change and it's a marathon, not a sprint.
You will not look like one of the '300' in 3 months.
People allow themselves to put on weight over long periods of bad eating habits.
Losing about 2 # per week is ideal...that is the safe way to lose weight and minimize sagging skin depending on ones' situation.

Go here for further nutrition/weight loss protocols:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Hope that helps get you on the path of good health and self respect.
Good luck...

Brian810
05-20-11, 04:30 PM
Of course...
I will include some other suggestions along with the link in case it helps:

Contrary to bro-science myths 'fats' do not make us fat.
The body needs fats and proteins....carbs must be thought of as natures' candy.
Stay away from all processed foods: packaged meats, empty carbs like most cold cereals, chips, junk food and all sodas.
Morning....have a mix of protein and good carbs. Fruits are OK but eat them during the course of the day and after about 3pm stop the carb intake.
Have only lean meat and vegetables for dinner.
CARDIO: do about 30-40 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week depending on your goals.
Remember a couple of things....it's not a diet...it's a life style change and it's a marathon, not a sprint.
You will not look like one of the '300' in 3 months.
People allow themselves to put on weight over long periods of bad eating habits.
Losing about 2 # per week is ideal...that is the safe way to lose weight and minimize sagging skin depending on ones' situation.

Go here for further nutrition/weight loss protocols:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Hope that helps get you on the path of good health and self respect.
Good luck...

Thanks again man, I had to lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks, which I did, but I weight 219 in the morning and I somehow gained 5 pounds throughout the day... From what I read, I guess I didn't drink enough water when I went skateboarding so my body retained water.. Then again I'm no nutritionist..

lamanognr86
05-20-11, 04:42 PM
I'll give you some info. You should workout everyday, and slay yourself like no other. Marines are in the best shape. Your body can endure more than you know. You should constantly be eating dedication and spitting out motivation.

Every second of your life should be either working-out or thinking about working-out. God knows I do.

Have fun

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 04:46 PM
Remember that our weight will fluctuate a few pounds during the course of any given day depending on what time of the day you are weighing yourself.
If you are still trying to lose a few pounds see my suggestions which will help and probably elude to further questions.

Brian810
05-20-11, 05:10 PM
Remember that our weight will fluctuate a few pounds during the course of any given day depending on what time of the day you are weighing yourself.
If you are still trying to lose a few pounds see my suggestions which will help and probably elude to further questions.

Well I have to lose 20 pounds in 6 months which shouldn't be too much of a problem since it is now Summer in Florida.. Hot as hell, but I do have a question, and please, if you can critique my current diet.

Usually I will eat Scrambled eggs for breakfast or Rice Krispies (good stuff!), then for lunch I will usually eat a can of Chunky Soup (Sirloin burger), I think that has about 240 calories, and then for Dinner I will usually eat Chicken, Spaghetti, usually what ever the Family makes for dinner. And then throughout the day I will eat an orange/Apple, or some grapes.

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 05:35 PM
Your goal of 20# in six months is quite doable....with discipline.

NO...forget the rice kristpies which is empty sugars which is a 'simple carb'.
If your are lite eater in the morning and want cereal have oatmeal with some frozen blueberries, shredded wheat with whole milk.
Cheerios (not that sugared sh!t) is an acceptable cold cereal also.
Following morning scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and whole wheat toast.
Add a banana, some strong mud and your ready for the day.
One need proteins and complex carbs when waking.

Lunch: more protein and complex carbs.

Spaghetti is a carb....have that stuff during the day while your working out or doing PT.
You want to have most of your carbs burned off by evening and have carbs in the system while you are sleeping.
Forget the soups...too much sodium with 'processed' ingredients.
Stick with whole foods and don't be lazy with this discipline.
During the course of the day add fruits, almonds, peanuts.
Peanut butter sandwich with some honey on whole grain bread is great energy with good fats and some protein.

I'll stop here......hope that helps.

Brian810
05-20-11, 05:51 PM
Your goal of 20# in six months is quite doable....with discipline.

NO...forget the rice kristpies which is empty sugars which is a 'simple carb'.
If your are lite eater in the morning and want cereal have oatmeal with some frozen blueberries, shredded wheat with whole milk.
Cheerios (not that sugared sh!t) is an acceptable cold cereal also.
Following morning scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and whole wheat toast.
Add a banana, some strong mud and your ready for the day.
One need proteins and complex carbs when waking.

Lunch: more protein and complex carbs.

Spaghetti is a carb....have that stuff during the day while your working out or doing PT.
You want to have most of your carbs burned off by evening and have carbs in the system while you are sleeping.
Forget the soups...too much sodium with 'processed' ingredients.
Stick with whole foods and don't be lazy with this discipline.
During the course of the day add fruits, almonds, peanuts.
Peanut butter sandwich with some honey on whole grain bread is great energy with good fats and some protein.

I'll stop here......hope that helps.

Thank you for taking the time helping me out!

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 06:08 PM
Correction...typo.
I meant to say 'and NOT have carbs in the system while you are sleeping'.

No prob...you must be strong in mind and spirit as the goal of achieving the EGA will be your greatest challenge and reward in your young life.

Stay tough and do not embarrass us weed hopper...

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:15 PM
Correction...typo.
I meant to say 'and NOT have carbs in the system while you are sleeping'.

No prob...you must be strong in mind and spirit as the goal of achieving the EGA will be your greatest challenge and reward in your young life.

Stay tough and do not embarrass us weed hopper...

Sorry to yet again sound like an idiot, but google search didn't give me a definition for "Weed hopper"

And I will do my very best!

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 06:23 PM
On the 'idiot' thing....not to worry....you're on a roll.<grin>
I'm certainly not exempt from making an idiotic gesture on occasion.

Hmm...no google definition?..that's odd.
An obscure phrase from my Tai Kwon Do days back in my early forties.
I'll have to contact Wikipedia on that phrase.

Good luck on your quest

OVonRomer
06-05-11, 07:20 PM
ALSO! Don't let "I can't", "unable", "too much", "too hard" cross your mind! If you say you can't do it, then chances are you won't put in a lot of effort.

chulaibet1966, your advice is very helpful, thanks for sharing!

chulaivet1966
06-05-11, 09:10 PM
....and the last 4 letters of *AmerICAN*.

Glad to help and encourage someone.

JeffHoss
06-12-11, 10:43 PM
Lost fifty already! I started back in Late February...

I do take one day a week and eat a little bit of those comfort foods and the stuff your not suppose to have. I did cut back on eating meat (use to be everyday,now just a couple times a week). I do alot of running, push ups, sit ups, I can actually do a few more pull ups now than ever. Now since it is summertime I can sweat my arse off and get fresh produce for next to nothing plus produce is good for you.

The key is for me has been keeping the eye on the prize. I want to do the PLC program during the summer of 2012 and I want to become a Marine Officer. I need to score so much on my PFT inorder to accomplish what I want to do.

Keep your eye on the prize and give it H-E- Double Hockey Sticks

chulaivet1966
06-13-11, 07:04 AM
Lost fifty already! I started back in Late February...

I do take one day a week and eat a little bit of those comfort foods and the stuff your not suppose to have. I did cut back on eating meat (use to be everyday,now just a couple times a week). I do alot of running, push ups, sit ups, I can actually do a few more pull ups now than ever. Now since it is summertime I can sweat my arse off and get fresh produce for next to nothing plus produce is good for you.

The key is for me has been keeping the eye on the prize. I want to do the PLC program during the summer of 2012 and I want to become a Marine Officer. I need to score so much on my PFT inorder to accomplish what I want to do.

Keep your eye on the prize and give it H-E- Double Hockey Sticks

Well done...

I would submit a couple of comments.
Not eating 'meat' will not be that beneficial in weight loss and I don't think you're doing yourself or your body a favor at all.
Fats do not make us fat....it's carbs and mainly 'processed' carbs that is the enemy here.
Were omnivores and meat wreaks of protein (along with other goodies) to help maintain and add to muscle mass.
I would recommend eating meat, poultry and/or fish daily.

Don't know what 'comfort foods' you are referring to.
If you are a vegetarian or vegan....that's your choice but it makes getting proper nutrition even for basic bodily needs/maintenance very tricky...especially if one is doing a physically demanding job or excerising or using free weights..
Sure, 'produce' is good for you but to load up on one food group because of hear say, trends/fads and bro-science is not what I would recommend.

Now..if you just don't like the taste of meat that's different and my logic will not fly with you.

The key is an appropriate balance of all foods groups based on the demands one puts upon their body.

I would recommend to educate yourself a bit more in the nutrition/food groups aspects and what they provide the body.

Use good judgment and good luck with your goals.

JeffHoss
06-13-11, 09:42 PM
Today was a meat day for me. S.O.S. for breakfast and grilled tuna for dinner...

Comfort foods were something I dang near ate everyday b4 I lost the fifty. Cakes, Cookies, Chips, and dont get me started on the Cheetos...

I do try to get a blend on the food groups daily. I eat when Im hungry and stop when Im full

I am in the mood for a tbone

chulaivet1966
06-13-11, 10:00 PM
Today was a meat day for me. S.O.S. for breakfast and grilled tuna for dinner. Comfort foods were something I dang near ate everyday b4 I lost the fifty. Cakes, Cookies, Chips, and dont get me started on the Cheetos. I do try to get a blend on the food groups daily. I eat when Im hungry and stop when Im full.
I am in the mood for a tbone

That looks better.
Your original post eluded to cutting way back on meats which (IMO) is not a good idea.

Yes...stay away from all those items if your goal is disciplined weight loss.
For a carb fix have a peanut butter/jam on whole wheat bread as an idea.
I'm always ready for a 'Tbone'...but prefer Filet or Ribeye.

Good luck...