PDA

View Full Version : Annual tradition spreads goodwill for squadrons

thedrifter
10-17-03, 06:05 AM
Annual tradition spreads goodwill for squadrons
Submitted by: MCAS Iwakuni
Story Identification Number: 20031014183950
Story by Pfc. Giovanni Lobello

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan -- Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133 and the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force VC-91 were a part of a goodwill exchange Oct. 3 for both officers and enlisted personnel.

Goodwill exchange has become an annual tradition between the American and Japanese military.

"This is done every year between the Marines and Navy. Whichever unit is here at the time of year usually does the event with the JMSDF. This is also a good opportunity to learn about each other's squadron," said Lt. David Hurn, VAQ-133 pilot and public affairs officer.

Lt. j.g. Kenji Tanaami, VC-91 Lear Jet pilot, added that he liked the event because it was a good social meeting among neighbors.

The officers and enlisted personnel followed separate schedules for the day. First stop for the Navy officers was the Japanese side of the Station were they were shown the intricacies of their Leer Jet.

"I learned some of the experiences that the Japanese military go through. For example it was interesting to find out that they start off pilots the same way we do; first you fly the single engine propeller than move up to multi-engine props and so forth," said Hurn.

For the enlisted members a picnic-like atmosphere filled the day. The Marines, Navy and JMSDF personnel all met at Penny Lake to participate in volleyball, softball, and football. They also enjoyed a barbecue to give all that were present a chance to get to know each other.

"I came out here because I thought it would be a good chance to meet new people being that I am new to the Station. My favorite part of the day gave me a chance to do that playing softball, which is a team sport and requires everyone to work together," said Pfc. Adam Stoulgies, heavy equipment operator.

On the other side of the Station, the Naval officers wrapped up their tour at VC-91. Now it was their chance to show off their own military aircraft.

"One of my favorite things today was the simulator," said Tanaami. "Even though it is hard to fly American planes after getting used to flying our planes it was still fun."

The group concluded the evening at the Officer's Club where the commander of each respective unit exchanged gifts and a thank you along with a few words of wisdom.

The friendly enlisted battle on the softball field took a break in between innings and Master Chief Larry Memmer, command master chief for 133 applauded all the participants. This was a good cultural event Memmer explained. He did acknowledge the language barrier, but said it provided a great opportunity for each unit to brush up on the other country?s language.

"This is definitely a good event that should continue," Hurn said. Unfortunately, he continued, VAQ-133's deployment schedule will mean that another unit will have to step in and continue the friendships developed in this year's goodwill exchange.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/A4EB3590F59F877285256DBF007C7F38?opendocument

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/lookup/20031014191759?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: