PDA

View Full Version : nervous about family night

timjcrist
04-26-11, 12:29 PM
Tonight is my USMC family night and I’m really nervous. I don’t mind doing the PT, I think I will be find for that, I just don’t wan screw up or something in front of my family. Anyone else get all worked up before their family night?

I’ll post how things went so those of you who haven’t had a family night yet can get a heads up.

Oh its in Bay City Michigan in case any of you happen to be going to one tonight to

soon2bMarine10
04-26-11, 12:36 PM
Just take it serious and pay close attention!! sound off when the DI's are in your face. Matter of fact SOUND OFF THE WHOLE EVENT!!!

Barnett20110425
04-26-11, 12:52 PM
I've got one tomorrow.
I wouldn't say that I was nervous about it.
More excitement then anything....
It's gonna be good practice since I'm shipping in one week, six days.

MunkyVsRobot
04-26-11, 05:01 PM
Just dont be an asshat and you will do fine. Do not make it out to be more than it is. You'll PT for like 10 to maybe 20 minutes Max unless you have someone being an idiot but the DI has other stuff he has to do and he will leave right after the Q&A session. then you are free to move about the cabin.

timjcrist
04-26-11, 08:47 PM
Just got home. We PT for at least 20min, but man did it ever fly by. We did mostly pushups with sit-ups and jumping jacks mixed in, constantly switching between them. Very little running. They had us in a gym so it was incredibly hard to hear anything with all the echoes. I never got singled out during the PT and my wife who was there said the people that did were horrible. One girl couldn't do a single pushup. She said she was also surprised how slow most of the poolees were to respond to orders. According to her there was a noticeable difference in those who were prepared and those who were not focused. One person was singled out at the very end in front of everyone by all three Drill Instructors. I later heard that his weekly PT at his RS was very sub par.

It was a f*cking blast though, so motivated right now.

I didn’t learn anything new as far as what boot camp will be like or anything. I've done a ton of research so everything they said I felt I already knew.

If you have any questions please feel free, I'll answer them the best I can.

Barnett20110425
04-27-11, 11:47 AM
My dang pool function got cancelled... Freakin' floods lol

timjcrist
04-27-11, 03:35 PM
We had some nasty storms and tornado warnings, but no floods.

IHaveEGA843
04-27-11, 07:49 PM
Just got home. We PT for at least 20min, but man did it ever fly by. We did mostly pushups with sit-ups and jumping jacks mixed in, constantly switching between them. Very little running. They had us in a gym so it was incredibly hard to hear anything with all the echoes. I never got singled out during the PT and my wife who was there said the people that did were horrible. One girl couldn't do a single pushup. She said she was also surprised how slow most of the poolees were to respond to orders. According to her there was a noticeable difference in those who were prepared and those who were not focused. One person was singled out at the very end in front of everyone by all three Drill Instructors. I later heard that his weekly PT at his RS was very sub par.

It was a f*cking blast though, so motivated right now.

I didn’t learn anything new as far as what boot camp will be like or anything. I've done a ton of research so everything they said I felt I already knew.

If you have any questions please feel free, I'll answer them the best I can.

YO ITS CRAZY HOW A MAJORITY OF THE POOLEES DONT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GIVE THEM 10 SOLID PUSH UPS......SMH

I suck when it comes to PT that deals with squats and leg stuff because I dont work them out. My recruiter told me to stay the hell away from any leg weights so I do......My legs usually will be sore for next week after we did leg drills......I cant even bend my knees because of the pain but I do what I can.

Upper body I'm good to go, Lower body.....SMMFH......Running......Im getting to the point of kindve enjoying it.

FLUTTER KICKS!!!!!! **** I HATE THEM!!!!!!

timjcrist
04-27-11, 08:05 PM
YO ITS CRAZY HOW A MAJORITY OF THE POOLEES DONT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GIVE THEM 10 SOLID PUSH UPS......SMH

I suck when it comes to PT that deals with squats and leg stuff because I dont work them out. My recruiter told me to stay the hell away from any leg weights so I do......My legs usually will be sore for next week after we did leg drills......I cant even bend my knees because of the pain but I do what I can.

Upper body I'm good to go, Lower body.....SMMFH......Running......Im getting to the point of kindve enjoying it.

FLUTTER KICKS!!!!!! **** I HATE THEM!!!!!!

I don't work out my lower body at all other than running (which should be a decent leg workout you would think). I basically do running/crunches/push ups/pull ups.

Why did your recruiter tell you not to do leg workouts? My knees kill when I do duck walks and stuff like that. I don’t know what workouts to do to help my knees though. They never give me problems when I run. What leg drills do you do that make you sore (I assume you mean at weekly PT?)

IHaveEGA843
04-28-11, 07:12 AM
^^^^I had to lose weight and he thought I'd gain more muscle while losing weight. I do lift for my upper body to tone but its high rep low weight. He told me thats fine but stay away from any leg lifting so I did.

I don't do weekly PT but when I do go and they do drills the squats usually do my legs in because of the weight applied when we do those. The harmstrings arent put under much pressure when running but when I squat down I go DOWN not no half ass squat.

So the end result is alot of soreness but to streghten the muslces around those knees hit the eliptical on high resistance and high height. Also, the stationary bike with resistance on it will help. When you're doing it right and putting out the lower part of your hamstrings will be burning from the constant pedaling.

I did the bike on Monday and I did 15 min of riding while keeping my RPMs over 80. First 5 min was 12 resistance *which was easy to me* the next 5 min was thrown up to 14 and I started feeling the burn but those last 5 minutes really worked my legs when I had it up to 16 resistance. You'll want to slow down but I dont and I literally have to push it to keep up to 80 RPMs.

I did the eliptical yesterday and did 16 min on it. 4 min intervals going from 20 resistance/20 height then dropping down to 10 height/20 resistance. You'll speed up as the height goes down but still have the same resistance to push.

Trust me it works because I use to have shin splints and muscle tightness while running but now I have neither. My legs have toned up nicely also.

BulldogD2
04-28-11, 10:24 PM
Had Family Night/DI Night and it was a blast. Can't wait for the real thing now! Very motivated to up my training and have as close to perfect PT as possible. San Diego in August for me. Don't be overly scared of DI night poolees, if you can't handle it you better reevaluate things!

timjcrist
04-29-11, 08:00 AM
Awesome BulldogD2. When in August? Maybe I'll see you there.

USMC Infantry
04-29-11, 12:11 PM
im August 1st

BulldogD2
05-01-11, 12:40 PM
Awesome BulldogD2. When in August? Maybe I'll see you there.

MCRD San Diego August 22