PDA

View Full Version : Guidon Question?

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 01:06 PM
Under what circumstances are you supposed to Present Arms with the guidon besides when ordered to? I know when the star-spangled banner is being sung the guidon is supposed to be in present arms but what other occasions is it supposed to be?

And also when the Star Spangled Banner is about to be sung, will I get an order to present arms or do I just go when the announcer says please rise for the star spangled banner or what?

I couldn't find any of this in the MCO Drill Manual so I'm resorting to here.
Thanks

YourPhoneIsMine
04-24-11, 01:31 PM
Not sure about what other circumstances you'd be told to move the guidon but one thing I can tell you is that when you're in formation you don't do anything without being given the order to do so. If you're at parade rest, at ease, in the middle of marching, etc and the drill instructor doesn't call attention when colors or the anthem plays, it's on him.

Old Marine
04-24-11, 02:24 PM
The above post by YourPhoneIsMine is correct. In Boot Camp the Drill Instructor will give you all your commands. After Boot Camp if you happen to have a guidon, its up to whomever is in charge of...

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 02:29 PM
Gunnery Sgt, I need it for family day (Armed Forces Day) next month lol. The recruiters at my RSS are making me be literally the perfect guidon bearer before family day comes or else in there words "the spear tip of the guidon will go up your ass, JP" hahah. That's why I'm trying to jam as much info about drill with the guidon into my head before my inspection deadline Thursday.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-24-11, 02:37 PM
even in that circumstance you still don't perform any action without an order to do so. it's the responsibility of whoever's in charge of the platoon to call the right commands. the platoon itself,...

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 02:39 PM
Understood LCPL. Thanks.

Old Marine
04-24-11, 03:03 PM
If you are worried about going to Present Guidon when theNational Anthem is sung and you do not get a command to Present Guidon, do it on the first note of the music.

The only other time I know of when it is appropriate to Present Guidon is during a parade when passing in review and you will get commands for that. As a Poolee you will not have to worry about that. Just go with your gut and if you are a little early or late, its no big deal. I doubt if your Recruiter will even notice, as he probably does not have the answer anyway. Good luck to you.

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 03:05 PM
any relevant information will be found in the drill manual

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P5060.20%20W%20CH%201_3.pdf

if it's not in there, it's not the official word

LCPL, my SSGT texted me the same one I think, it was MCO P5060.20 Chapter 6. That's the section with the guidon stuff but unfortunately I couldnt find what I was looking for there....

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 03:06 PM
Thanks Gunnery SGT!

YourPhoneIsMine
04-24-11, 03:13 PM
LCPL, my SSGT texted me the same one I think, it was MCO P5060.20 Chapter 6. That's the section with the guidon stuff but unfortunately I couldnt find what I was looking for there....

sorry dude, my knowledge of the drill manual stops pretty much hits a wall right there

One consolation to take from it is that the people watching usually have no idea what any of it is supposed to look like. :bunny: If you make a mistake then make that mistake with confidence.

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 03:14 PM
sorry dude, my knowledge of the drill manual stops pretty much hits a wall right there

One consolation to take from it is that the people watching usually have no idea what any of it is supposed to look like. :bunny: If you make a mistake then make that mistake with confidence.

Haha good point LCPL

Zulu 36
04-24-11, 05:38 PM
Technically, whomever the troop commander is, should give the command to "Present - Arms" before the music sounds. That command should also technically be the command for the music to start playing about three or four beats later (allowing time for the troops on parade to complete Present Arms). This should be coordinated ahead of time between the troop commander and the singer/bandmaster/drum major (or the guy with his finger on the "play" button).

When the command of execution is called (Arms), you would present the guidon.

When the music stops, you hold Present Guidon until the troop commander gives "Order Arms" - which should be about the same three or four beats after the music stops.

Ta-da!

03Mike
04-24-11, 05:45 PM
When you are in formation, you obey the commands of the unit / formation commander, period. He the unit commander says "Present Arms" or "Eyes Right" then you present arms / present guidon.

If you are not in formation, then just like when you are carrying a rifle or are unarmed - the same criteria apply for saluting.

Old Marine
04-24-11, 05:59 PM
Sounds to me like they are only going to be playing the National Anthem and are not having a full blown military parade. Kind of sounds like things will be done by the numbers. I really do not know what goes on at a Poolee function and I had never heard of Poolee's before hearing about them on this forum.

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 06:33 PM
Thanks SGT, Major, and GySGT. will do.

Tennessee Top
04-24-11, 06:56 PM
PM ScarSniper. He just graduated bootcamp and was the platoon guide. Bet he can answer your questions.

Good luck.

jeonpaolo
04-24-11, 09:20 PM
PM ScarSniper. He just graduated bootcamp and was the platoon guide. Bet he can answer your questions.

Good luck.

Will do Master Sergeant. Thanks.