PDA

View Full Version : Marine Reserves, your honest opinions

jv1244
04-23-11, 09:36 AM
I've been out of the Marines for a while and am furiously attempting to get back into the reserves, pending my DD 368. Anyways, from what I have read from some other forum members the reserves are hit-or-miss and can vary greatly by unit. From the local units I would reenter as an 0311 or get a secondary combat MOS.

Also anyone able to provide good recommendations for getting caught up to speed with knowledge, the new CFT, rifle qual and any other pertinent regulations, as there has been many changes within the last few years.

devilbones2
04-23-11, 11:29 AM
When did you get out? I am trying to get into the reserves and I have been told that there is no money to retrain anyone until at least October so you will need to come back in at your primary MOS. Where are you looking to join, in TX?

jv1244
04-23-11, 11:47 AM
I live in San Marcos TX, and from what I'm told theres a Weapons Company in Austin, a line company in Corpus Christi, and another in Arlingen or something like that. I got off active duty Marines late Nov of 2006.

devilbones2
04-23-11, 12:09 PM
Do you think you could pass a PFT right now? Are you still on contract? If you are I would call a PSR right away, the longer you wait the more hoops you will have to jump through to get back in. If the PSR isnt that great, than they will more than likely not help you out at all. If you really want to get back in, you will need to be very persistent and prove to them that you are worth it for them do exert any effort in getting you back in. You might even be able to look on the Units website to see if there is an open billet listing. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

SgtMcCrory
04-23-11, 02:24 PM
i'm in the same boat brotha. there are a few hoops to jump through but it's all about what you'd expect. you should try to get your OMPF now just to have it out of the way. usmc.mil then go to manpower and print out and fax the request OMPF form. then get ahold of a prior service recruiter.

to be honest i've looked into joining other branches of service and they're way more open to taking you then the corps is. the air force bubbas told me to bring in my OMPF disk and they'd get the paper work started.

it's a little weird because i have a few friends that are recruiters and they've emailed me lists of MOS's that have open boat spaces and one of the recruiters i talked to told me there was nothing.

jv1244
04-24-11, 10:22 AM
I actually joined the National Guard when I got out, because of some BS the retention NCOs gave me about the Reserves which I should have fact checked but I was too naive. But yes, I agree the Army recruiters were quick to get the paperwork started, finished and with a bonus when I first got on, as compared to the prior service recruiter who gave me an idea of what I need to do, gives you a patt on the butt and tells ya good luck, you'll need it. But in the end I think now that I'm older, more mature,wiser I want to get back into a service that has pride in itself, which I don't or haven't seen much in the guard.

Daedalus2040
04-24-11, 09:39 PM
I've done six years in the Reserves with 4th LAR and loved it. Deployed to Iraq, got to do AT in Australia, Morocco, and South Africa. Like you mentioned though, the unit you go to will make or break your experience in the Reserves.

cucinae5
11-26-13, 02:15 AM
I can only speak for the Reserve Unit I am with, 4th LAR B Co. Coming from active duty I was not to happy with going reserves after being off contract, but I really like it. Took me forever took get through all the BS of getting back in since I was off contract for 9 years, but I got back in and have no regrets. I am sure there are some **** bag Reserve Units out there, but mine is good to go. There are some real f*cked up things about the Reserve you won't like if you were AD, but you get use to them. The one I can't stand is Marines not being subject to the UCMJ while they are not at drill. I hate that but not much you can do about it. I was off contract for 9 years and came into a "new Corps" so to speak. New uniforms, CFT, Table 2 rifle range, ACOG, etc... not much you can do to prepare for some of it but jump right in and get your hands dirty as soon as you get to the unit. CFT/PFT are simple. Do them every week to get yourself in shape to pass them. Any questions let me know. I will try to answer as many as I can. Oh and if you were like me and off contract plan on having your TIG reset to 0.

Changster
11-26-13, 06:08 AM
Just a suggestion for getting back "in." Why not just go to the Active Reserve Program? It's a program where you work at your I&I full time as an active duty Marine (paid by the reserves). The program has it's own billets too. I used to work at Quantico and helped run the program with 3 monitors and 1 oic. You get all the benefits of being active duty at home.

Juicemang
11-26-13, 09:24 AM
I was active duty for four years as admin. I didn't work at a PAC or anything though, I was with a unit that was on a constant 7 month in, 5 month out OIF rotation. Needless to say, we were a pretty tight unit, good discipline and a lot of us were like family. Ultimately I decided to get out and do the college thing.

A year into college, I realized I missed the Corps. I hit up a PSR and came back as reserve admin for a wing headquarters unit. It was good to go for the first few months, but after awhile I became disillusioned. If you sit there and compare the reserves to active duty units, you'll be disappointed every time. You just have to realize that the reserve is a different beast, as are reserve Marines who have never tasted the fleet. I saw LCpls who never went to MCT or their MOS school. Like another Marine said, Marines getting away with murder because it's hard to punish SMCR Marines. Loose uniform regs, and Marines who didn't PT unless they were at drill weekend. I eventually dropped to the IRR and fell off contract. (I recently reenlisted and am back with the SMCR with an infantry battallion...I think I'm in it for the long haul this time).

Anyway, all of these things can build up inside of you and make you start to hate the reserve. However, if you remember you are not active duty anymore, you can still keep a positive attitude within your unit and do your best to train your Marines. It's just imperative you remember you aren't active duty anymore, and things will be a little different for you. All in all though, I think it's worth the experience, the networking, the ability to serve the Corps in some capacity. Also, you can keep your eyes and ears open for potential ADOS orders to global hotfills, other training opportunites, etc.

crazymjb
11-26-13, 01:30 PM
In my experience reserve units tend to vary a lot more unit to unit. Some units are wicked locked on, in my opinion we were better than the active unit that ripped us, as well as the unit we ripped, and some suck. There is less uniformity as people are generally local to the area. My unit is 45 minutes from Boston, you will likely have a vastly different experience in the middle of West Virginia. Most of the guys in my unit are students or professionals. We don't yell very often, we generally go off the better to be respected than feared principle. I also know officers have said they prefer working with us over active duty as we tend to be a little more independent. Again, your mileage may vary. We have our 10%, don't get me wrong, and a bit more belligerence probably exists than would on active duty, but we don't suck, and a lot of the former active guys who have joined us have said the same. Also, almost all of our NCOs have deployed.

Mike

Rocky C
11-26-13, 01:58 PM
Note; This thread is 2 1/2 years old. I hope the OP is still around to view it.