PDA

View Full Version : A little worried about joining the Marines?

BubbaJ
04-21-11, 06:56 PM
I'm currently 18 and will be turning 19 in July. About 6 months ago I was all set up to go to MEPS and ended up backing out at the last minute. I recently started talking to a new recruiter, and as of now I leave for MEPS in a few weeks.

The reason I backed out the first time and the reason I'm worried now, is because although I'm turning 19 soon, I still look like I'm 15. I get **** all the time about it, but I've wanted to be a Marine all my life.

I'm also about 5'9 and 155 pounds (give or take), so I'm not all that big. Take that and add the fact I look 15 - you probably see my picture.

I'm just worried I won't get any respect as a Marine both in recruit training and after. The only thing that makes me somewhat relieved is the fact that I'm actually bigger than my recruiter.

Any advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated!

ammermda
04-21-11, 07:36 PM
Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because
Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean.
They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've
got really short hair and they always go for the throat. [RAdm.
"Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995]

from http://thundering-third.org/4members/10quotes.html

BadAce2212
04-21-11, 07:37 PM
When I left for recruit training I was 18 looking 14, 5'9 weighing 132 pounds. I didnt catch much hell from anybody because I gave 200% in all I did. Some people are not as big as others but that life. You will not be the smallest in boot camp. If you really wanted to be a Marine then your size wouldnt matter. You should be more worried about the other challenges of not only recruit training but your entire military career after recruit training. If its that big of a deal how much respect you get, then you'll spend extra time on the quarter deck doing pull ups and when you finish recruit training, MCT, and your MOS school, then you can just go to the gym on base(every base has one) and spend your time pushing yourself and not spending your time worrying about what other people think of you. You earn respect from your work ethic, honesty, and your personality, not from how big or small you are.

BadAce2212
04-21-11, 07:40 PM
Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because
Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean.
They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've
got really short hair and they always go for the throat. [RAdm.
"Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995]

from http://thundering-third.org/4members/10quotes.html

You beat me to it sir, I was just about to throw that same quote on here to give the guy some moto.

Tun Tavern
04-21-11, 07:41 PM
Hi, Bubba.

I have two different perspectives, on this topic, that I'd like to share with you.

First let's get this point out of the way: Everyone in boot camp are nasty maggots, equally. So, don't worry about that. If you try hard your Drill Instructors will see that. If you don't try they will also recognize that.

They may mention something about your size but they find something about everyone. For me it was my hair. My heavy used to give me hell about it all the time. My Senior Drill Instructor handed me a pair of black handled scissors and told me to cut it. Nobody is safe. You're all on equal ground in their eyes.

Now to the issue of being short and getting respect while in the fleet. If you know your stuff and you're not a screw-up, size wont matter a lick in regards to respect.

I'm 5'2" myself. I've been called "small fry", "short s#!t", "Mighty Mouse", etc. my whole life. You just have to laugh it off and let it roll of your back.

My husband, also a Marine, is only 5'8". But, he was the most squared away Marine I have ever met. Everyone respected the hell out of him. He knew his job inside and out, 300 PFTs, always showed proper respect to others, uniform always perfection.

Don't give anyone any reason to disrespect you and they wont. Take pride in yourself and what you do and it will show. Don't back out because of "what if's" or else you wont get very far in life if you do. You'll soon see that being on the smaller side is more of an issue to you than it is to others.

Good luck this time around!

ammermda
04-21-11, 07:45 PM
You beat me to it sir, I was just about to throw that same quote on here to give the guy some moto.

Google is one of my T/O weapons...

BadAce2212
04-21-11, 08:20 PM
Google is one of my T/O weapons...

haha:thumbup:

Old Marine
04-21-11, 08:23 PM
Audie Murphy was in the Army and looked like he was 12 years old, but became the most decorated soldier of WWII. Have no fear, as there will be others in the same boat as you. Besides you will make a smaller target.

03Mike
04-21-11, 08:57 PM
I'm just worried I won't get any respect as a Marine both in recruit training and after. The only thing that makes me somewhat relieved is the fact that I'm actually bigger than my recruiter.

Let me try to summarize what my fellow Marines have said above - the Marine Corps is one place where they care more about who you are and what you do than how you look. The one exception is if you are overweight or fat - not much tolerance there.

Bottom line, you earn respect from your actions, not from your appearance.

Old Marine
04-21-11, 09:39 PM
Well, you are not short enough to be a house mouse and at your height you will not be a feather merchant, so I doubt very much that you will have a lot of trouble in Boot Camp.

BubbaJ
04-21-11, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It really does make a difference and I appreciate it.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-21-11, 11:54 PM
As it should. I left for Boot Camp underweight and undertail, was nearly tossed out at MEPS for being 3 pounds 'underweight'. 122 when I should have been 125. Luckily back in those days they were more sympathetic and they let me ride. I graduated weighing 145.

Got called, among other things, light arse, stickboy, feather merchant and whatever else they could dream up...

03 Mike nailed it direct. Went on to be an 0311, Airborne, Meritorous Cpl.....

Take it from me, it won't matter in the end.

YLDNDN6
04-23-11, 10:12 AM
There's an old saying. "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog that matters." If you, regardless of your physical stature and appearance, put forth your best effort and refuse to give up, no matter what, you will succeed and garner the respect of those who matter. Do it. Now. Move!