PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed at Camp Lejeune

Lisa 23
04-21-11, 10:09 AM
Urgent Help Needed at Camp Lejeune

Marines, FMF Corpsmen, MCL Auxiliary, Devil Dogs and Friends of Marines –

As you no doubt are aware, a terrible tornado ripped through Jacksonville, NC this past weekend wreaking havoc on the town and on Camp Lejeune.

We have been informed that the Tarawa Terrace II housing area at Camp Lejeune has been heavily damaged and over 40 Marine families have been displaced or otherwise lost many personal items including food. 100-200 families have been affected by losing power which may be off for some time. The Camp Lejeune ASYMCA and USO Jacksonville has requested donations of baby items (IE - Baby wipes, diapers, food items) ASAP. They really request monetary or gift card donations to area business locations such as Wal-Mart, Food Lion, etc as these can be distributed quickly. Our Marines need us and I know we will help. Please contact Amanda Crompton, at Pioneer Services of Jacksonville, at 910-577-3036 for information on how to make your donations. Marine Corps Commandant General James Amos toured the housing are and held a Town Hall meeting with area volunteer organizations.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those so profoundly affected by this disaster. Let's do all we can to help our fellow Marines and their families. Thank you in advance for your support.

USO of Jacksonville – (910) 455-3411
Camp Lejeune ASYMCA – (910) 451-9569
Amanda Crompton @ Pioneer Services – (910) 577-3036. Amanda has contacts with both organizations and can also assist you.

Semper Fidelis -

Vic Voltaggio
National Commandant
Marine Corps League

Michael Blum
National Executive Director
Marine Corps League

elliscraig12
04-21-11, 10:45 AM
Thank you for sharing that Lisa.:flag:

joe mccormick 3
04-21-11, 10:47 AM
thanks for the telephone #s, i also lived on tt2

Tennessee Top
04-21-11, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Will see how I can donate.

Bruce59
04-21-11, 12:40 PM
Marines have been helping out at the Piney Green area by the hundreds.
Where many off base Marines and ret.Marines & civilians live, put in their
time volunteeing to cleaning up the area. To say it looks like a war zone
is a understatment, how no one got killed is a miracle. Jacksonville is a
pretty tight town. Marines and civilians all seem to come together ever
since Beirut in 1983. The Piney Green area as close to a thousand
volunteens a day helping out. It will be months before its all cleaned up.

Vandrel
04-21-11, 01:22 PM
It's been just unreal looking at the devastation here. All I keep thinking of is that night the storm hit and my wife was watching the news telling me that they advised us to "seek shelter", all I said was "we're in a house, that's shelter". I'm thankful that my ignorance to the storm didn't effect my family at all.

I'll be constructing a 'bunker' in the backyard this year.

EGTSpec
04-21-11, 04:56 PM
Marines, FMF Corpsmen, MCL Auxiliary, Devil Dogs and Friends of Marines –

As you no doubt are aware, a terrible tornado ripped through Jacksonville, NC this past weekend wreaking havoc on the town and on Camp Lejeune.

We have been informed that the Tarawa Terrace II housing area at Camp Lejeune has been heavily damaged and over 40 Marine families have been displaced or otherwise lost many personal items including food. 100-200 families have been affected by losing power which may be off for some time. The Camp Lejeune ASYMCA and USO Jacksonville has requested donations of baby items (IE - Baby wipes, diapers, food items) ASAP. They really request monetary or gift card donations to area business locations such as Wal-Mart, Food Lion, etc as these can be distributed quickly. Our Marines need us and I know we will help. Please contact Amanda Crompton, at Pioneer Services of Jacksonville, at 910-577-3036 for information on how to make your donations. Marine Corps Commandant General James Amos toured the housing area and held a Town Hall meeting with area volunteer organizations.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those so profoundly affected by this disaster. Let's do all we can to help our fellow Marines and their families. Thank you in advance for your support.

USO of Jacksonville – (910) 455-3411
Camp Lejeune ASYMCA – (910) 451-9569
Amanda Crompton @ Pioneer Services – (910) 577-3036. Amanda has contacts with both organizations and can also assist you.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-21-11, 05:06 PM
Both threads merged, it's all good, everyone trying to help our fellow Marines!

EGTSpec
04-21-11, 05:16 PM
Both threads merged, it's all good, everyone trying to help our fellow Marines!
Thanks Lep.

EGTSpec
04-21-11, 05:19 PM
It's been just unreal looking at the devastation here. All I keep thinking of is that night the storm hit and my wife was watching the news telling me that they advised us to "seek shelter", all I said was "we're in a house, that's shelter". I'm thankful that my ignorance to the storm didn't effect my family at all.

I'll be constructing a 'bunker' in the backyard this year.As I remember living in TTII (2539 Bouganville Dr, TTII) at Camp LeJeune the base housing was just duplexes set on concrete pads. Nowhere to go but a closet or bathtub for protection.

Zulu 36
04-21-11, 06:27 PM
In 1973, I was on patrol as an MP at Montford Point (Camp Johnson to you boots) when a tornado touched down in the base trailer park that was located between Montford Point and the TT housing area.

One trailer was totally blown apart, but luckily no one was home. The trailers on either side only suffered some damage from blown debris. The storm also caused some minor damage in TT.

Tornadoes are so darned unpredictable and dangerous. This tornado was the first one I ever saw in my life, but unfortunately not the last.

I think everyone in need at Lejuene will probably have more help than they can use and the extra can be shared with the civilian community.

Bruce59
04-21-11, 06:29 PM
Here is a small video of some damage on piney green about 4 miles from the base.

http://www.jdnews.com/video/c/1155200144/top-videos/911309639001/tdn-news-tdn

Zulu 36
04-21-11, 06:36 PM
Here is a small video of some damage on piney green about 4 miles from the base.

http://www.jdnews.com/video/c/1155200144/top-videos/911309639001/tdn-news-tdn

Gee, how come those people aren't sitting around waiting for FEMA to come tell them what to do?

KC130JCrewChief
04-23-11, 09:49 PM
A few homes were leveled in the Cherry Point area as well. I saw pictures of roofs missing and cars that had gotten thrown about 100 yards and smashed into pieces. Pretty crazy, I had no idea the extent of the damage until a few days later, luckily the only thing that got destroyed in my neighborhood was my trampoline.

Quinbo
04-23-11, 10:02 PM
Ft. Bragg and surrounding areas has been quite the life challenge as well.

Lisa 23
04-25-11, 08:38 AM
21-Apr-11
Update on donations to Camp Lejeune

Marines and FMF Corpsmen,

I received an update this evening at approximately 1800 from Cmdt Jeff Brown (Det #1209), via a phone call with his daughter, Amanda Crompton, from the ASYMCA/Backdoor Boutique at Camp Lejeune.

GREAT NEWS! Just today alone, over $10,000 worth of monetary and gift card donations were received and/or called into the phone numbers that were distributed just recently this week.

In addition, many companies and businesses have called to donate items from baby/children needs up to freely loaned equipment such as solar generators.

All of these contributions to our Marines and their families have come from all across our Nation to include neighboring MCL Departments.

This is only one day's worth of contributions! It was necessary to get this information out as soon as possible so that everyone could hear the great news!

Please forward this information on to everyone that you have sent the initial e-mails out to so that they can know how their contributions are helping. As more updates come in, I will report them to you.

Semper Fidelis,
Bruce R. Rakfeldt
Adjutant
Department of North Carolina
Mideast Division, Marine Corps League
Home Phone: (336) 578-9446
Cell Phone: (336)380-1001