PDA

View Full Version : Failing a drug test for alcohol

EGTSpec
04-15-11, 09:56 AM
Yesterday my employer recalled me after seasonal layoff. Prior to starting on next Monday the 18th I was required to take a pre-recall drug test. I had a few beers (5) the night before and know enough time passed (2200 to 1000) before my test that it shouldn't be a problem. But it got me thinking about my time in the Corps.

I remember coming in off liberty drunker than a skunk, flopping on my rack, and the lights coming on a few minutes later, and falling out for PT. Half the platoon would be hung over or still drunk. I know if I had taken a drug test at that time I woulda been over the limit.

In the civilian world there are jobs, Trucking is one, which is what I do, where you can't consume alcohol within 8 hours of driving a commercial vehicle. As a Marine I was a Ammunition Tech. and handle live ammunition on a daily basis.

THE QUESTION: Can the Corps prosecute a Marine for still being drunk, or showing over the legal limit, the next day after getting sh*t faced on his own time? Never saw it happen when I was in but yesterday got me thinking.

EGTSpec
04-15-11, 10:08 AM
If it carries into the duty time, sure. Same as civilian life. It's the condition he or she is in at work, not when they started and stopped drinking.
Example: Suppose someone gets drunk the night before work, and at work they blow a 1.5 on a breath test. Does anyone care how much more drunk they were last night than right now? They are under the influence now, at work. No one cares if they were five times as drunk the night before, on their own time.LOL I guess me and probably 90% of my company, including officers, were guilty the morning after payday most of the time. I know my company had a drunk tank in the guard shack when I was on Oki. LOL

EGTSpec
04-15-11, 10:15 AM
My CO didn't much care how drunk you got off duty, as long as it didn't reflect back to him. But if you go arrested for drunk in public, or got in a bar brawl, etc etc you could count on standing tall in front of him when you sobered up, and in some cases while you were still drunk.

EGTSpec
04-15-11, 10:37 AM
Kind of wandering if any present Marines would like to chime in on any experience they have on this subject.

Old Marine
04-15-11, 01:37 PM
Here is my opinion. I think the military should go back to the Rocks & Schoals.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 02:01 AM
Yup. And, working on an army base, I can tell you the army STILL prosecutes people for 'drunk on duty'. They bring them to the PD, we put them on the PBT and/or breathalyzer....if they go above a .03 or so....they are done.

yanacek
04-16-11, 07:47 AM
Here is my opinion. I think the military should go back to the Rocks & Shoals.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Wyoming
04-16-11, 10:04 AM
I think the military should be exempt from all the PC crap.

You wanted to join, you agreed, you signed up, and the PC **** was out the window!!

doc h fmf
04-16-11, 10:39 AM
I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS STATIOPNED AT ROOSE ROADS PR AND people were given antibuse and any mixture with any alcoholould cause a violent reaction even wuith deoderant. WELL TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT A COUPLE OF MY FRIENDS TRY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM AND DRANK ON THEIR WEEKEND WITH THEIR FAMILY THEY WOULD WINDUP SPENDING THE WEEKEND IN THE HOSPITOL

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF