PDA

View Full Version : My son leaves for Parris Island soon...

Ridgerunner665
04-12-11, 10:01 PM
They gave him an MOS in field artillery (I didn't think he'd get his MOS until after he graduated PI...but what do I know?)

I'm proud of him...he has done what I let my parents talk me out of (becoming a Marine), I've regretted not joining ever since :mad:...now I'm just a truck driver. ( a damn good one though ;))

He has wanted to be a Marine since he was about 8, and I have supported that decision all the way (not forced, supported)

June 13th is the day he heads out...he didn't really want field arty, but thats what he got. He had very high scores on everything but I guess they stick you where they need you.

Anyway, thats my introduction I guess...I'll give progress reports here as I get them...so it may be a while before I add anything since its a while before he leaves, and then its 13 weeks of silence until he graduates.

Oh yeah....he's going tomorrow to do something, I forget what he called it...physical fitness type thing.

EDIT: Its an IST test...

USNAviator
04-12-11, 10:11 PM
They gave him an MOS in field artillery (I didn't think he'd get his MOS until after he graduated PI...but what do I know?)

I'm proud of him...he has done what I let my parents talk me out of (becoming a Marine), I've regretted not joining ever since :mad:...now I'm just a truck driver. ( a damn good one though ;))

He has wanted to be a Marine since he was about 8, and I have supported that decision all the way (not forced, supported)

June 13th is the day he heads out...he didn't really want field arty, but thats what he got. He had very high scores on everything but I guess they stick you where they need you.

Anyway, thats my introduction I guess...I'll give progress reports here as I get them...so it may be a while before I add anything since its a while before he leaves, and then its 13 weeks of silence until he graduates.

Oh yeah....he's going tomorrow to do something, I forget what he called it...physical fitness type thing.

EDIT: Its an IST test...

Good luck to your son but please take some time to fill out your profile.We don't know if your his mother or father. Sorry, being a truck driver isn't the dead give away it use to be.....:D

If you have any questions I'm sure they will be answered on here

Ridgerunner665
04-12-11, 10:13 PM
Good luck to your son but please take some time to fill out your profile.We don't know if your his mother or father. Sorry, being a truck driver isn't the dead give away it use to be.....:D

If you have any questions I'm sure they will be answered on here

OOPS...I knew better than that (forum etiquette), I'm a regular on several gun forums.

I'll get that squared away...

USNAviator
04-12-11, 10:16 PM
OOPS...I knew better than that (forum etiquette), I'm a regular on several gun forums.

I'll get that squared away...

LOL no worries. Glad to see someone who at least understands the word etiquette

Looking forward to hear about your sons progress

Devillpupp
04-12-11, 10:25 PM
PT (physical training). If he doesn't want artillery, then he doesn't have to keep it. As long as he hasn't left for bootcamp he can change his MOS to whatever is available, so long as his ASVAB score was high enough. If he doesn't want Arty then he can wait until the next fiscal year (Oct 1st) when all the jobs open up again. He can walk away from the Marines at any point before bootcamp without negative affect on his future, and he can always go back if he decides. Remember, the Marine Corps needs him more than he needs the Marine Corps. His recruiter can and will give him his desired job if he thinks you will walk away.

Ridgerunner665
04-12-11, 10:42 PM
PT (physical training). If he doesn't want artillery, then he doesn't have to keep it. As long as he hasn't left for bootcamp he can change his MOS to whatever is available, so long as his ASVAB score was high enough. If he doesn't want Arty then he can wait until the next fiscal year (Oct 1st) when all the jobs open up again. He can walk away from the Marines at any point before bootcamp without negative affect on his future, and he can always go back if he decides. Remember, the Marine Corps needs him more than he needs the Marine Corps. His recruiter can and will give him his desired job if he thinks you will walk away.

His ASVAB score was high...and the other scores (GT) they break it down into were also high.

He seems to be OK with field artillery (he likes guns, he gets that honest :)...and he can bust clay targets at 600 yards all day long)....he says getting the infantry training will be useful later on. Field Artillary was his 2nd choice...

He has mentioned a few moves he may try to make later on, but I'll wait until he makes them before getting into that....

He won't be walking away...they may kick him out, but he won't quit.

I think he'll make a darn fine marine...he's smart, tough, dedicated, and he can shoot!

Devillpupp
04-12-11, 10:56 PM
I'm happy he got his second choice. my fear was that he would end up with the stereotypical "my recruiter screwed me" stories which might make him bitter down the road. I wish him all the best and look forward to hear how things end up for him.

Ridgerunner665
04-12-11, 11:00 PM
I'm happy he got his second choice. my fear was that he would end up with the stereotypical "my recruiter screwed me" stories which might make him bitter down the road. I wish him all the best and look forward to hear how things end up for him.

10-4...I hear ya!

I have a few friends that are Marines (no longer in service) and he spoke to them extensively before signing anything.

He knows what he wants and the road he needs to take to get there...its gonna be a long hard road though.

m14ed
04-13-11, 03:06 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/quote_l.gif Quote: Originally Posted by Devillpupp http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=758234#post758234)

10-4...I hear ya!

I have a few friends that are Marines (no longer in service) and he spoke to them extensively before signing anything.

He knows what he wants and the road he needs to take to get there...its gonna be a long hard road though.

Welcome to the site Ridgerunner
I'm sure all of us here wish the best to
you and your family.

MarineDAD92
04-13-11, 11:03 AM
Welcome Ridgerunner!

It sounds like your son has some great support for his goals! Understand that this is going to be a pretty wild ride for you as a parent though. Just as Bootcamp transforms civilians into Marines, it also transforms parents into Marine Parents. The day my son left for PI was one of the toughest days in my life as a parent, but graduation was one of the most amazing. It's really that profound.

The 2 most important things I learned during my sons Recruit training:

Write lots of letters- they will get sick, they will get homesick, mail call keeps em going.

No news is good news- It is a tough adjustment, not knowing the details of our childrens daily life, but this trains US for the future of being a Marine Parent.

DrZ
04-13-11, 11:31 AM
Ridgerunner,
First off, welcome to LN. Your son will need a considerable amount of support and perhaps occasionally a kick in the butt. There might be times when he just wants to pass on the PT gathering done by the recruiting station. Don't let that happen. He could be in great shape now but I can promise you he is NOT in Marine shape. What this program will teach him is multifaceted. He will learn about rank structure, general orders, some UCMJ information, and how to 'put up' with someone being in your face. These are all valuable lessons prior to stepping on the yellow footprints.

Just be there when he needs you. The statement about letters when in boot is very true and very important for BOTH of you.

Again welcome to LN. Semper Fi to you and yours.

Ridgerunner665
04-13-11, 11:43 AM
Thank You both...

He has been going to the PT gatherings...for a tad over a year (he enlisted at 17). He missed a couple during deer season but thats it.

I'm used to being "out of the loop" (truck driver...always gone), but I know if/when he deploys that will certainly be different.

My wife (his step-mom) will probably be doing most of the letter writing, but we will keep him up to date with plenty of letters and pics of his lil brother (thats the one he says he hates to leave)

Ridgerunner665
04-13-11, 07:43 PM
He called and said he passed his IST with flying colors:

He didn't count his pull ups, but he did plenty I'm sure.
80 sit ups.
Ran the 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and 30 seconds.

MarineDAD92
04-13-11, 09:20 PM
Thank You both...

My wife (his step-mom) will probably be doing most of the letter writing, but we will keep him up to date with plenty of letters and pics of his lil brother (thats the one he says he hates to leave)

That's what I thought too. But, like you, I have a job that allows me a bit of time to think things through and I got into it by following the training schedule.....nothing worse than a middle-age Marine wannabe living vicarously through his son LOL.....My co-workers now start to leave the room when I start talking about him.... I ended up writing 2 to 3 letters/week. Sent alot of jokes and ass-kickin moto stories and quotes.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your son.

Ridgerunner665
04-13-11, 09:23 PM
That's what I thought too. But, like you, I have a job that allows me a bit of time to think things through and I got into it by following the training schedule.....nothing worse than a middle-age Marine wannabe living vicarously through his son LOL.....My co-workers now start to leave the room when I start talking about him.... I ended up writing 2 to 3 letters/week. Sent alot of jokes and ass-kickin moto stories and quotes.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your son.

Its good to know I'm not the only one...LOL!

Yeah...I was thinking about it today...I can write the letters, email them to my wife, then she can print and mail them to him...:D

jdubbya
04-14-11, 12:26 AM
Best of luck to your son and yourself, from another Marine dad! I hope you post progress reports from time to time, and pics are nice too!

foreverproud
04-14-11, 01:59 AM
Ridgerunner,

Welcome and best wishes to your son ... and to you and your family! :flag:

Pinstriper
04-14-11, 09:17 PM
Having a Son at Parris Island last year (4/16 Grad date) and who is now deployed, I know the pride you feel having a recruit. From one Dad ( and family ) to another, best of luck to you all.

Ridgerunner665
04-14-11, 09:21 PM
Thanks again to all of you...

I was just sitting here in the truck watching a documentary on the Marines (via NetFlix...streamed to my laptop)...Its called "The Marines".

Its pretty good, starts with the yellow steps, bounces around some between PI and officers candidate training at Quantico...but it has been informative.

Jeppysmom
04-14-11, 09:33 PM
I'm looking for support. I am anxious but proud of my son's decision. I'm hoping to meet other parents who I can communicate with.

Ridgerunner665
04-14-11, 10:11 PM
I'm looking for support. I am anxious but proud of my son's decision. I'm hoping to meet other parents who I can communicate with.

I don't know if it will help you...but I find comfort in learning about what my son will be going through at Parris Island.

I think/hope me knowing as much as I can will help me help him when he needs that support/kick in the pants that was mentioned earlier.

I'm still new at this, thats the best advice I can offer.

Ridgerunner665
04-14-11, 10:16 PM
On another note...while watching that documentary I mentioned earlier...I couldn't help welling up with pride!

Knowing I raised a son that has the dedication to his country, the sense of honor, and the courage that it takes to be a Marine...its beyond words.

MarineDAD92
04-14-11, 10:47 PM
Ridgerunner- There will be plenty of proud moments in your future. My son graduated his MOS school wed.(in the top 5!!) and moved to his PDS the same day. He loves it and is doing great!

Jeppysmom-Hang on, it's a hell of a ride....but worth every minute. When you see them for the first time on FAMILY DAY, you will be amazed! Check your Private Messages.

Ridgerunner665
05-14-11, 10:24 PM
Hello again...the only new news is about the statewide competition between the poolees.

It was held in WV...the TN crew kicked butt.

My son has gained 10 lbs since his last weigh in (he needed to gain weight, he was 1 pound underweight last time)

Ridgerunner665
05-14-11, 10:56 PM
I meant to say the Johnson City, TN crew kicked butt!!!

Ridgerunner665
06-06-11, 11:26 PM
5 more days...he leaves Sunday.

Pinstriper
06-07-11, 10:40 AM
Ridgerunner, make sure you go back and re-read the posts, after Sunday you'll be laying awake in bed, waiting for that late night scripted call that your Son has arrived. I was lucky enough to sneak in a quick "Love you Son" with a quick response.

I can only reiterate what has been said, it will be MUCH tougher than he expected, write often, and make sure the letters are up beat and positive. He'll need this home reinforcement when he questions his choice. With our first batch of letters, we sent pre addressed and stamped envelopes, pad and pens. Every little bit of time saved helps these young Recruits.

If he has a Girlfriend make sure she doesn't get cute and scent her letters or send a musical card....ask me how I know about this..LOL.

Good Luck to you and yours.

hbharrison
06-07-11, 12:18 PM
Ridgerunner665 wish your son all the best the Marine Corps has to offer him and you.

NCdad
06-07-11, 06:23 PM
5 more days...he leaves Sunday.
Good Luck to your son -and to you - Mine has 51/2 weeks left and is doing well. I watched the Documentary you mentioned - pretty good stuff
Johnson City use to be my old stomping grounds Down Home Pick'n Parlor and Holston Lake

Ridgerunner665
06-13-11, 08:22 PM
Phone call received 5 minutes ago...my son has arrived safely at Parris Island.

Pinstriper
06-13-11, 09:43 PM
Wow...That is "early" compared to when we received ours. Again, good luck to your Recruit and your family.

NCdad
06-14-11, 04:58 AM
The road begins Good luck to your son and family :flag:

dono
06-14-11, 03:47 PM
I haven't looked in here for a while. This board was a great resource for me when my son went to P I.

Cudadad
06-18-11, 09:21 AM
Now you can breath easy. MCRD is the safest place in the world. no drunk drivers, no late night partys. oh and that feeling of pride.......it only gets better.

YLDNDN6
06-21-11, 12:19 AM
You know, something that a lot of people overlook when discussing what MOS they got "stuck" with is that once you get your training done, get to your command, and fall into the groove of everyday life in your job, everything just sort of gels. I wasn't crazy about getting the 26XX field because of the lack of door kicking and lead pouring, but after I got settled in and acclimated to the job, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think a lot of it comes from the esprit de corps and commaraderie that developes and the idea that every person in your unit is striving toward the same goal. Unless there is some new MOS that involves standing on your head for 12 hours a day in knee-deep excrement, there really isn't a job in the Corps that should be hated or regretted. Just my two cents. Carry on.

Ridgerunner665
06-25-11, 01:09 AM
Not much to add....I received the letter (you know the one...).

Something in it came as a surprise though, a phone number and an email to the senior DI...it said to call if I had any questions...I got about a million of them, LOL.

I have not called, as tempting as it is to ask how he is doing...I won't unless I really need to.

That son of mine is a chip off the old block...he is too stubborn to fail, too hard headed to quit...and he REALLY wants this.

I'm not worried about him, I'd just like to know all the details, :D. We wrote him a letter a few days ago...he may have received it by now, or maybe not. I'm not sure how slow the mail moves there.

MarineDAD92
06-25-11, 06:05 AM

Something in it came as a surprise though, a phone number and an email to the senior DI...it said to call if I had any questions...I got about a million of them, LOL.

I have not called, as tempting as it is to ask how he is doing...I won't unless I really need to.

That son of mine is a chip off the old block...he is too stubborn to fail, too hard headed to quit...and he REALLY wants this.

I'm not worried about him, I'd just like to know all the details, :D. We wrote him a letter a few days ago...he may have received it by now, or maybe not.
I'm not sure how slow the mail moves there.

You will get his letters a day or 2 quicker than he'll get yours. With 500+\- recruits entering PI every week, that same amount of new Marines leaving every week and the movements within the base itself, it slows down the flow of incoming mail a bit.

YLDNDN6
06-25-11, 06:16 PM

I'm not worried about him, I'd just like to know all the details, :D. We wrote him a letter a few days ago...he may have received it by now, or maybe not. I'm not sure how slow the mail moves there.

It really comes as a surprise to me that you would be given that information, regarding the contact info. When I was in Boot Camp, the only thing that my parents knew for sure was that I was in California. If I were you, as much as I would like to know how my child is doing, the last thing on earth I would do is contact his Sr D.I.

As a parent, I would want to know that my son was doing alright, but I would also know that if he weren't, I would be notified immediately if there was a problem. If you were to contact his D.I. there would probably be a considerable downside for you your son. First, he would take a lot of ridicule for having Mommy/Daddy check up on him. And I don't mean a little lighthearted teasing. Although, the benefits would be pretty numerous, as well. For instance, your son would be allowed the added benefit of extra exercise. He would be in remarkable physical condition upon completion of training. There would also be the opportunity for drawing extra duty, which would allow your son to really, really learn more of the basic tasks of a recruit. And let's not forget the additional classroom time that would be made available to him. Think of all the knowledge he would gain, being allowed to recite the general orders for sentry duty, or discussing the finer points of first aid for a heat-related illness, while doing push-ups with his hands forming the shape of a diamond on the floor beneath him.

Ahhh, the doors which could be opened for him with a simple e-mail or phone call to his Senior D.I. And just think how grateful he would be to you for making all of that possible. Bottom line...he's a young man training for what could be the most awesome opportunity of his life. He will face difficulty and hardship at every turn in the next few months, and he could do without the fallout from being checked on by his parents. Please trust me on this. I wish your son all the best in his future as a Marine, and I urge you to refrain from making contact unless there is some sort of emergency which absolutely requires that he be contacted. Your son will return to you after training, and will be someone you can be very proud of. In the meantime, if you have general questions about what he may be doing in training, there are a lot of relatively new Marines in these forums who would be happy to answer your questions from their more recent and accurate memories. God Bless the United States Marine Corps!

YLDNDN6
06-25-11, 06:34 PM

It really comes as a surprise to me that you would be given that information, regarding the contact info. When I was in Boot Camp, the only thing that my parents knew for sure was that I was in California. If I were you, as much as I would like to know how my child is doing, the last thing on earth I would do is contact his Sr D.I.

As a parent, I would want to know that my son was doing alright, but I would also know that if he weren't, I would be notified immediately if there was a problem. If you were to contact his D.I. there would probably be a considerable downside for you your son. First, he would take a lot of ridicule for having Mommy/Daddy check up on him. And I don't mean a little lighthearted teasing. Although, the benefits would be pretty numerous, as well. For instance, your son would be allowed the added benefit of extra exercise. He would be in remarkable physical condition upon completion of training. There would also be the opportunity for drawing extra duty, which would allow your son to really, really learn more of the basic tasks of a recruit. And let's not forget the additional classroom time that would be made available to him. Think of all the knowledge he would gain, being allowed to recite the general orders for sentry duty, or discussing the finer points of first aid for a heat-related illness, while doing push-ups with his hands forming the shape of a diamond on the floor beneath him.

Ahhh, the doors which could be opened for him with a simple e-mail or phone call to his Senior D.I. And just think how grateful he would be to you for making all of that possible. Bottom line...he's a young man training for what could be the most awesome opportunity of his life. He will face difficulty and hardship at every turn in the next few months, and he could do without the fallout from being checked on by his parents. Please trust me on this. I wish your son all the best in his future as a Marine, and I urge you to refrain from making contact unless there is some sort of emergency which absolutely requires that he be contacted. Your son will return to you after training, and will be someone you can be very proud of. In the meantime, if you have general questions about what he may be doing in training, there are a lot of relatively new Marines in these forums who would be happy to answer your questions from their more recent and accurate memories. God Bless the United States Marine Corps!

Ridgerunner665
06-25-11, 06:49 PM

Yes...thats kinda what I was thinking.

There's no way I'd call unless it had to be done...I did not mention that contact info to his mother (we are long divorced, I'm the custodial parent), I figured she'd call, LOL.

I'm content to send him letters, he and I can "catch up" come September.

MarineDAD92
06-25-11, 07:55 PM
There's no way I'd call unless it had to be done...

Our form letter had the same info on it......along with a big boot print and a few extra crumples.......I never did get the whole story of that one. Anyway, in his next letter, he said under no circumsrances contact his SDI. The advice we were given was to contact the PI Chaplain in the event of a family crisis.

Ridgerunner665
06-25-11, 07:58 PM
This letter had something about using the Red Cross to contact him, I forget the exact text (I haven't actually read the letter, I haven't been home since we got it)...but my wife read it to me over the phone.

YLDNDN6
06-26-11, 12:39 PM
Those of us who have been through it will all tell you that receiving letters from home, from aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, anyone who can write, can be a really bright spot during Recruit Training. Tell everyone he knows that he would like to get mail from them. Even if you just write out what happened today in a real quick note and send it out. I cannot adequately stress the importance of this. As a rule, keep news on the up side, and try not to include anything that might cause him to worry about what is going on at home. He has plenty to worry about and plenty of stress in his day-to-day right now.

Ridgerunner665
06-27-11, 01:11 PM
We got another letter, he actually wrote this one, LOL.

All is well, he is doing good...says he has gained 7 pounds since getting there (he was a slender fellow...in shape, but lean...like me).

Of interest to other parents...he says:

PS: please send stamps.

Ridgerunner665
06-28-11, 01:03 AM
A little something I'm gonna throw in here...sorta off topic, but not really.

I've read a lot on here about parents that were not quite willing to sign the papers for the kids to enter the DEP.

I know we are all different in the way we raise our kids...and also what we believe in, and I'm not not saying that my way is the right way, the best way, or even a good way...

That said...I planted the seed in my son to go into the military when he was very young, he's always been smart, quick to learn things he was interested in. I originally kinda steered him towards the Navy, his uncle was in the Navy and has secured a successful career after the Navy (works at Siemens) with some VERY well paying job that he never seems to do...he's always hunting, fishing, travelling somewhere or something...anyway, and another friend of mine that had great success after the Navy, he now works for TVA and will be eligible for retirement next year (the 20 year thing stays with you at TVA)...and my son was all for it for a while, his ROTC group was Navy and everything.

Myself...I always wanted to be a Marine, and I think I would have made a good one but a few things stood in my way. One was that I was needed at home (on the farm), another...the big one, was that I hurt my back (nearly broke it) in a motorcycle wreck when I was 12 and never completely recovered. I can do just about anything anybody else can do...except stay bent over for very long...touching my toes is painful, but I can do it without a fuss...in a nutshell, I would never have been accepted.

And maybe thats what changed my sons mind...the fact that Dad wanted to be a Marine.

When he told me he was gonna join the Marines I was a bit surprised for a second...then pure, 110% proud as hell.....proud of him for the having the courage to do it, proud of myself for instilling that courage, patriotism, and love of country in him.

When he brought me those papers to sign...my only question was..."Where do I sign?" I knew the risks, the dangers, the what ifs, and the maybes...with the worst of them being that someday I may get that terrible news...I've got a few friends that have been there, a couple in the Marines, a nephew and a cousin in the Army (nephew is still in Iraq, cousin was in Afghanistan for 2 tours)

All that said...one thing I have always known, and accepted is this...somebody's gotta do it.

Like I said...I'm not saying its right, wrong, or whatever...but it is a fact.

And that made the decision easy for me...I signed those papers, handed them to my son and said..."Dammit! You've done went and grown up..." and gave him a hug.

Ridgerunner665
06-28-11, 01:30 AM
I just might have another one headed that way in about 14 years...since his big brother left, the little one is saying he is gonna be a Marine too.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/101_0130.jpg

Ridgerunner665
07-13-11, 06:13 PM
Another letter....my son is loving it down there, LOL.

Well...not really loving it...but making the best of it, it seems he does enjoy it more than most.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-11, 12:58 AM
LOL. All you can ask for. He'll be done soon enough...and then the REAL fun begins!

SGTBedbury
07-15-11, 10:44 AM
I did 5 years in the corps and got out about a year ago. I still remember everyone of my drill instructors names, their MOS and can never forget them. Boot camp was the most amazing experience of my life.

As i read through this forum i noticed alot of advice that sounded familiar. When they are talking about sending positive letters to your son, they mean it. Everyone of my letters i got were nothing but positive news. My mom would actually write down everything they did and even ate for dinner. It seemed kinda redundant at first but towards the end of the training it really helped me get through to the end. It made me feel like i was still at home in a way. I had the most amazing support system behind me not just in boot camp but my whole career.

Words can not express how much that means to the Marine. Like i said earlier I have been out for almost a year and am starting to miss it. I have a good job that i love and a home we just bought, and to be honest thats the only thing holding me back from running to the recruiter again. I figured the best thing for me is to jump on this forum and help out other Marines and especially those just entering. I have a vast amount of knowledge from being in so why not pass it on and help out my brothers and sisters.

You are doing a great job in the way you support your son, and i can guarantee he loves it. It makes it that much easier on him during this life changing time. Keep the letters going and keep up the support. Once a Marine, always a Marine. Semper Fi!!!

YLDNDN6
07-16-11, 01:40 PM
Great to see that he is keeping a positive attitude and seems to be holding in there. Tell him in your next letter that a bunch of Jarheads are pulling for him!

Ridgerunner665
08-02-11, 08:49 PM
He's 1/2 way there...he says he has done real good on the rifle range, he qualifies this week I think :banana:

The gas chamber sounds like fun too...NOT!!!!

VictoryttBold
08-02-11, 11:53 PM
:iwo:Thanks for sharing a momentous time in both your lives. Keep us updated.

Ridgerunner665
08-22-11, 09:19 PM
Here is his graduation prize by the way...it comes complete with a (well worn) Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster, 3 Tripp Gen II CobraMags, 2 Wilson mags, and 4 Baer mags...and 2 Buck knife belt cases for mag carriers (they work great, I carried them for years)...he won't be able to carry it for a few years, but it is his. He has wanted it for a long time...it may not compare to that EGA, but its the best I can do.

Less than 3 weeks left...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/120_2027-1.jpg

Ridgerunner665
08-23-11, 09:07 PM
Looks like hurricane Irene will might make landfall near Parris Island...I'm sure that place has weathered a few storms though.

Ridgerunner665
09-03-11, 05:46 PM
Today was the day (according to the schedule I have)...my son finished The Crucible and earned the title of United States Marine.

Sgt Jim
09-03-11, 10:08 PM
Ridgerunner665, be ready to see a new son and Marine.Semper FI.

Apache
09-04-11, 07:52 AM
Welcome aboard Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner665
09-04-11, 04:15 PM
He called today...he is ready to get off that island, LOL.

3Gus
09-05-11, 05:28 PM
My son is starting swim week at PI. Missing him like crazy. Proud but hard to let go. He is in 2nd BT Hotel Co Plt 2089. His letters have been surprisingly positive. he keeps saying if these other guys can make it he can although they have lost a few already. Pray with me for he and his new family!

Ridgerunner665
09-06-11, 08:40 PM
Will do Gus...

We have arrived in Port Royal...I'm anxious to see my son Thursday.

And Thank You All...for the support and help.

3Gus
09-07-11, 07:53 AM
Will do Gus...

We have arrived in Port Royal...I'm anxious to see my son Thursday.

And Thank You All...for the support and help.

Sorry I got into this late but proud for you and your son! Hope today and tomorrow are excellent as I believe they will be for you and your son. My trip is Nov. 3&4!:)!

Ridgerunner665
09-08-11, 10:03 PM
Final tally...

He qualified with a 332 on the range, and had 1st class PFT and CFT scores.

The day before he qualified on the range...he shot a 346, but those are the breaks...I've been actively shooting for 25 years (F class and pistols)...and I have those off days too. (couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a 2x4, LOL)

Ridgerunner665
09-13-11, 08:00 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/Untitled-4.jpg

Unwrapping his graduation present...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/101_0108.jpg

His first reaction...a chip off the old block, LOL.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/101_0109.jpg

Ridgerunner665
09-13-11, 08:02 PM
Him and his recruiter at the high school this morning...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/0913110937.jpg

Ridgerunner665
09-13-11, 08:09 PM
Also...the first thing he did when we got home was bought himself an AR15 (a Sig 516)...but thats normal I reckon, after all....Every Marine is a rifleman!

VictoryttBold
09-13-11, 11:50 PM
:flag:Congrats to you both !

PJones64
09-14-11, 07:07 AM
I sure hope he makes out ok at his first duty station on his own

Ridgerunner665
10-01-11, 01:52 AM
Well...I can't post many places here but my son is 1/2 way through MCT now. He called last night (1st time since going to MCT)...all is well, sounded like he was having fun.

I won't be able to go to the MCT family day/graduation...but I think my Dad is going.

Ridgerunner665
10-08-11, 07:20 PM
My son changed his MOS while at MCT...he went AAV (1833)...I searched the site, didn't find much...I would greatly appreciate all the info anybody could give me on his job.

NCdad
10-10-11, 10:46 AM
Found this- Hope it helps
ASSAULT AMPHIBIAN SCHOOL BATTALION
The Assault Amphibian School Battalion (Building 210568) is located by the Del Mar Boat Basin, facing the Del Mar Beach in the 21 Area. The battalion is composed of two companies, Support Company and Schools Company. The battalion commander is also the 21 Area commander for Camp Del Mar, Camp Pendleton.

The battalion is the formal school for Assault Amphibian Vehicle training in the Marine Corps. It is chartered to instruct eight formal courses of instruction. The Officer Course (MOS 1803) provides training for officers to become assault amphibian platoon commanders and is 54 training days long. The Assault Amphibian Crewman Course (MOS 1833) presents entry-level instruction in basic crewman operations of an AAV and is 46 training days long. The Assault Amphibian Intermediate Maintenance Course (MOS 2141) is a repairman skills progression course for NCOs and SNCOs. It is 63 training days long. The Basic Repairman Course is an entry-level training course, producing repairmen capable of performing 1st- and 2nd-echlon maintenance on the assault amphibian vehicle. It is 70 training days long. The Assault Amphibian Unit Leader course provides selected NCOs and Staff NCOs with advanced leadership and tactical skills necessary to become a Section Leader in an Assault Amphibian Battalion. The course is 39 training days long.

Ridgerunner665
10-18-11, 11:30 PM
He's on a plane headed to Camp Pendleton, should be there in about an hour...AAV crewman is what he got.

Ridgerunner665
01-06-12, 09:44 PM
Thought I'd update this a bit...

He still at Camp Pendleton, seems to be enjoying it...it was good seeing him over the holidays (we spent most of it deer hunting).

I think he's gonna be just fine...

jclarke
01-07-12, 10:51 AM
Our's is supposed to grad MCT this coming Tuesday. Last we heard from him was on Christmas, and while we were Skyping, they got orders to pack up. Guess they were hitting the rack early for a 02:00 wake-up for the field. Haven't heard anything since, so were going on the premise that "no news is good news".

He went in on an open contract, so, no tellin' what his MOS will be! We're hoping to hear from him today, if not, we're driving down tomorrow to "recon" the area like we did Parris Island, just to see where what is and where to go or be.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-07-12, 04:57 PM
Outstanding! Keep heart, and keep the faith. Reconning, if you have the time, and can afford to do so, is ALWAYS a good idea.

Keep us in the loop by all means!

NCEstey
03-08-12, 11:06 PM
I've read through this whole journey and I have to say that it is extremely moving. I wish my folks could be more like some of the others. I plan on going DEP here in November (when I turn 18 and finish up my senior year in high school). I've had my recruiter come by the house, countless talks with them, all the motivational DVD's, brochures the Sarge. can supply them with but still they are hard set on NO. 100% against my decision, no if, and's or buts. Even as just a kid from a small town in North Carolina, support in any way, shape or form is welcomed. Thank you for raising and supporting the men and women that keep this county free.
Thanks again to Ridgerunner665 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?84466-Ridgerunner665) For sharing your journey.