PDA

View Full Version : Taking stuff personally

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 05:36 PM
Ive been noticing a lot of poolees around here are taking stuff too seriously and way too personally. STOP IT. Seriously cut the ****, im not trying to stand up here on my soap box and freakin preach or nothin but grow some thicker skin.

First off its the freakin internet get a grip a lot of these fools live thousands of miles if not at least hundreds of miles away and there are a lot of tough guys on the internet.

Second youre trying to become a marine grow some hair on your chests become Men and Women im not trying to sound like the old guy here but i totally feel like ive been thrown back into high school. Which I basically have been a lot of you i see are between the ages of 17 and 20.

Lastly how are you going to handle boot camp if you cant handle what people say on here? The Drill Instructors arent going to be as nice as some of the people on here and i am most sure they are probably going to be quite worse.

This is text people leaving any and all interpretation up to the reader so please people calm down and get some thicker skin. Just keep Moto and earn that EGA and stop crying about everything remember youre trying to become a Marine now act like it.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 05:45 PM
Also before anyone complains yes I realized I forgot to Cap Marines once, but too late to Edit.

Dutch 44
04-11-11, 05:45 PM
Ive been noticing a lot of poolees around here are taking stuff too seriously and way too personally. STOP IT. Seriously cut the ****, im not trying to stand up here on my soap box and freakin preach or nothin but grow some thicker skin.

First off its the freakin internet get a grip a lot of these fools live thousands of miles if not at least hundreds of miles away and there are a lot of tough guys on the internet.

Second youre trying to become a marine grow some hair on your chests become Men and Women im not trying to sound like the old guy here but i totally feel like ive been thrown back into high school. Which I basically have been a lot of you i see are between the ages of 17 and 20.

Lastly how are you going to handle boot camp if you cant handle what people say on here? The Drill Instructors arent going to be as nice as some of the people on here and i am most sure they are probably going to be quite worse.

This is text people leaving any and all interpretation up to the reader so please people calm down and get some thicker skin. Just keep Moto and earn that EGA and stop crying about everything remember youre trying to become a Marine now act like it.

I prefer my women without hairy chests, but i digress

Good post, +1 internets for you

AlexJH
04-11-11, 06:36 PM
I'm gonna go take a ****.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:01 PM
There's alot of stuff that Poolees even Marines do on this site that I don't agree with.

I understand with giving a Marine respect but I hate the fact that if you don't bow down to them you'll get **** on constantly. I use to go into the chat every so often and just get smashed on for the littlest **** but when I talk to Marines at my job or the Recruiters they don't act as if they need you to kiss their boots to just ask question or carry a converstation with them.

Many Poolees act if the Recruiters are their boys which I guess it helps the Recruiters keep them in the RS but I don't do it but I don't have to keep ending my replies with Marine or calling them by their rank. When I become a Marine I won't expect nobody to kiss up to me but just to respect me as a man who became a Marine. I don't need the extra suck up, just the same respect I give to others.

As for some of the Poolees being on guard 24/7, I kind've think its the mind set put on here because you know the Marines will bash you if you do something they don't like so its kinda set an example for what should be expected of us Poolees/Wannabes.

I actually found the majority of the **** Alex said funny and kept it moving but to see other Poolees hate the man because hes ****ing around is like nit picking. Relax, enjoy each others company, and regardless of how we feel about somebody elses views just respect it. I know the infantry thread blew up but it was somebodies view that wasn't viewed as tasteful and got smashed for it.

Respect one another as the growing adults you're becoming because respect will take you higher then any title you will earn. The title Marine comes with respect and was built off of the respect they've earned and also gave. You all soon with be working with each other and needing each other. Why start off horribly when you can just respect each others views, say why you don't agree, and keep it moving.

Come on fellas/ladies.......

achilles097
04-11-11, 07:05 PM
Well said. :thumbup:

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 07:17 PM
I havent a problem with Alex he seems on the level.

Every Marine Ive ever met in person is pretty cool ****. My recruiter is also pretty bad ass too on the way to the MEPS we were trading drinking stories.

And I am not on about people tryin to brown nose to the Marines or Veteran Marines. Obviously you should show them some respect on this site I get part of the rules just like accepting all the rules that come with the territory. Same thing with this site, think of it as like paying for a Mobile phone by using their service and paying for service you accept their terms and conditions same as for this site.

For the bashing I assume some of it comes from the same stupid question being asked I mean seriously how many damn Office Vs Enlisted and Reserves vs Active threads are there? I think ive seen 4 on page one alone.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:27 PM
No bro, I was just talking to the Marines about the type of vehicles they have coming to the Corps since we intergrate them at my job. Some how it turned into me bragging them got to the point of I was a *******/****bird/etc. All I did was apologize and left it like that.

I wouldn't ask a question that I know I could search up but when you're just striking some simple convo and someone "thinks/assumes" they don't like you from just a couple minutes of talking is crazy.

I've never called no Marine out of their name or came at them wrong. I'm old enough to know how to respect someone even if it's by their rules but I don't like how you have to treat some of the Marines like Gods.

When I become a Marine and try shooting the breeze with them then I'll probably be considered a boot who doesn't know **** about the Corps then.

achilles097
04-11-11, 07:31 PM
Many Poolees act if the Recruiters are their boys which I guess it helps the Recruiters keep them in the RS but I don't do it but I don't have to keep ending my replies with Marine or calling them by their rank. When I become a Marine I won't expect nobody to kiss up to me but just to respect me as a man who became a Marine. I don't need the extra suck up, just the same respect I give to others.

Now see this is why I respect you. Whenever you post something it always ends up being very humble.

Also, to touch base on that point...The younger Poolees at my RSS have that mentality that the recruiters can be treated like their friends in high school. Nonetheless, my recruiters insisted that we called them by their rank then last name, as opposed to a just last name basis. I don't have a problem with those that keep a light-hearted relationship with their recruiter, but I always tried to keep it professional. I always knew what I wanted out of the Marine Corps and what I was willing to put in, so our first appointment with each other we arranged a physical and swear-in at MEPS. I don't have any regrets on signing up quicker. The Marine Corps really is what you make of it. People don't change... I have seen this a lot with my friends right out of boot camp; they come out looking different no question, but they tell me deep down they are the same. Really what it boils down to is if you come with bad habits, you leave with those habits. The Marine Corps won't turn you into anymore more of a bad ass, more outgoing guy, etc. Three months isn't enough to change nineteen years of habits. They can help suppress the biggies on the outside, but deep down it's still who you are. Some Marines are douche bags, ass holes, and don't deserve the slightest of my respect, just because the way they carry themselves but many, in fact most I have met are deserving of that respect. Mentality is really underrated. My point is that if you can't handle some criticism right now, what will happen at boot camp?

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 07:37 PM
No bro, I was just talking to the Marines about the type of vehicles they have coming to the Corps since we intergrate them at my job. Some how it turned into me bragging them got to the point of I was a *******/****bird/etc. All I did was apologize and left it like that.

I wouldn't ask a question that I know I could search up but when you're just striking some simple convo and someone "thinks/assumes" they don't like you from just a couple minutes of talking is crazy.

I've never called no Marine out of their name or came at them wrong. I'm old enough to know how to respect someone even if it's by their rules but I don't like how you have to treat some of the Marines like Gods.

When I become a Marine and try shooting the breeze with them then I'll probably be considered a boot who doesn't know **** about the Corps then.

Well obviously, you've got to pay your dues.

There is a sign at the place I take kickboxing at

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/ElPresidenteAnRK/1117001746.jpg

and it is true.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:40 PM
I always knew what I wanted out of the Marine Corps and what I was willing to put in

If you would've said that in the chat you would've gotten teamed up and and eventually just leave.

My Recruiter said he went in giving the Corps 100% but is going to always make his career by having the Corps work for him. Just like any job you'll have, if you put in 100% and show you want to earn more more with more responsibility you'll get it if earn it.

Ok....continue

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:42 PM
Well obviously, you've got to pay your dues.

There is a sign at the place I take kickboxing at

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/ElPresidenteAnRK/1117001746.jpg

and it is true.

LOL good stuff

Again, bro, I'm 24 years old and have been working for a good amount of years now. I know all about working and earning what you want or need. We need that sign posted around areas so people will get up off that ass and work instead of sucking down unemployment.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 07:46 PM
If you would've said that in the chat you would've gotten teamed up and and eventually just leave.

My Recruiter said he went in giving the Corps 100% but is going to always make his career by having the Corps work for him. Just like any job you'll have, if you put in 100% and show you want to earn more more with more responsibility you'll get it if earn it.

Ok....continue

Thats what my recruiter tells me, Im glad I am joining when I am an old man so I have an Idea of what I would like to do in the Corps. Sure the Corps dictates ALOT of what you do, but just like everything else there is a way to work within the system in order to make the system work for you.

My recruiter says this to me why leave the Marines the same way you entered? Leave the Marines better and with more to offer.

achilles097
04-11-11, 07:50 PM
You know that sign would go GREAT on a college campus. When I was in college for a semester it wasn't hard at all to find kids who were trust fund babies. Kids that never worked a day in their life. One girl in my history class said she supported the troops, so the professor asked her "in what way?" and she said something about having a bumper sticker on her car. As if that means ****.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:54 PM
Trust me Munky......you would've gotten smoked for that.

Some Poolees get mad when I tell them what the Corps will do to my career in my job field but I'm going to use it and hopefully see a increase in my salary that I would've never seen if I didn't become a Marine but thats only the small portion of my Marine journey.

So you're "old" also huh? Sucks to see some of those kids blowing past you when you first start out but lord knows it will feel good when you blow past them.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 08:00 PM
Trust me Munky......you would've gotten smoked for that.

Some Poolees get mad when I tell them what the Corps will do to my career in my job field but I'm going to use it and hopefully see a increase in my salary that I would've never seen if I didn't become a Marine but thats only the small portion of my Marine journey.

So you're "old" also huh? Sucks to see some of those kids blowing past you when you first start out but lord knows it will feel good when you blow past them.

Im not totally sure where Intel will lead but the possibilites are endless (speaking for myself with that) Im also looking to maybe do MCMAP and maybe open a dojo of my own later or maybe go Career that pension seems like a decent idea.

yeah dude I am also soon to be the oldest poolee at my RS I turn 27 at the end of the month and everyone totally blew by me my mile and a half was like 13:49 im trying to get back into some sort of training regimine.

AlexJH
04-11-11, 08:35 PM
I feel popular, everyone's talking about me

tee hee

and jesus you're old Munky, don't get hurt in boot camp...

I don't know if being older is better, as a youngin' it'll be easy for me to just accept the way the Corps is and assimilate, because I don't know any better. You on the other hand are a grown @$$ man about to be treated like a child.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 08:45 PM

tee hee

I don't know if being older is better, as a youngin' it'll be easy for me to just accept the way the Corps is and assimilate, because I don't know any better. You on the other hand are a grown @$$ man about to be treated like a child.

eh I was just tryin to make it before the cut off **** a few months ago I wasnt even thinking about doing anything Military related. I also dont forsee me getting treated too much like a child, Ive got my PFC and I am also married while I am at Parris Island I will be still getting PFC pay as well as my housing allowances then when I hit Intel school I will possibly get off base housing same thing for when I hit fleet.

Assimilation isnt difficult either, most older people just see having someone younger than them being their senior as an insult i really dont give two ****s how old the person is that is my NCO SNCOIC. I think for other people its a Pride thing

Domc
04-11-11, 08:55 PM

tee hee

Agreed, I thought I was old going in, at 22, but 27 props to you man.

AlexJH
04-11-11, 09:05 PM
wtf you don't ship until november? Well if I get RA and my ship date pushed back a little bit we may be in school at the same time, you'll have to hook it up with the off base housing if we're at the same duty station..

depending on if I'm going to Dam Neck or Corry though, have you heard any word on what MOS you're projected to get?

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 09:12 PM
Not yet, Ive still got to take the DLAB. Also tell me about it for the November ship date but that at least gives me time to get back in shape and to have a kick ass summer. Ive got some drinking to do and some hanging out to do and stuff to shoot.

ETA: I assume youre heading to Cali with your 26xx

AlexJH
04-11-11, 09:25 PM
naw I'm DD, 02XX/26XX, got a 90 on the DLAB so it's a no go for DLI, which doesn't really matter because i don't want to be a linguist. Would be eligible if I was Army.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 09:34 PM
good game, im planning on heading to VA but it could change i first need to get myself a contract

robbyj
04-11-11, 10:26 PM
Not yet, Ive still got to take the DLAB. Also tell me about it for the November ship date but that at least gives me time to get back in shape and to have a kick ass summer. Ive got some drinking to do and some hanging out to do and stuff to shoot.

ETA: I assume youre heading to Cali with your 26xx

I wouldn't drink if I were you, if you need to get back into shape that should be that last thing on your mind.

IHaveEGA843
04-12-11, 06:55 AM
Munky youll get there and plus when new Poolees come in youll actually see how much you progressed because its like seeing yourself and where you were at some months ago.

Age has nothing to do it anything but gives you the amount of years you've been alive. Theres a Navy Chaplin that can run 13 miles like nothing in a amazing time and hes atleast 60 something.

Youll be good to go in a couple months

achilles097
04-12-11, 12:27 PM
naw I'm DD, 02XX/26XX, got a 90 on the DLAB so it's a no go for DLI, which doesn't really matter because i don't want to be a linguist. Would be eligible if I was Army.

Linguist is a tough ass job. I respect anybody that has to freaking take that dumb ass test. Let me tell you anyone who scores very high on the DLAB is a freakin genius. At one point my mom and cousin were working for the Defense Language Institute on contract with the Special Forces telling the SF how to teach local farmers how to disarm clay borne mines in a simplified version of their native tongue. Short version, the SF would set up mines around their OP and from what she told me these farmers needed to know how to disarm them just in case. Boy, that would suck waking up and walking into one of those LOL. Anyways, she said she worked with some linguists who had to take a test with the "Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center" to become proficient in a foreign language over the period of a year. It's supposed to be basically the best linguist school in the world, but super hard. It can be a VERY rewarding job once you're employed outside the military, but can also be a huge pain in the ass. It's my intention to sign up at a reserve unit in Quantico after I'm out of the Corps. Intelligence is just one of those MOS's that is extremely valuable after your time out.

MunkyVsRobot
04-12-11, 07:00 PM
Here is another thing that popped into my head it was something I read a while back when I was trying to get into college sounds harsh but it is true. (I am just copying this and pasting it from a web site but it should still help) It is Bill Gates 11 rules for life.

----------Whether you like Bill Gates or not...this is pretty
cool. Here's some advice Bill Gates recently dished out
at a high school speech about 11 things they did not
learn in school. He talks about how feel-good,
politically correct teaching has created a full
generation of kids with no concept of reality and how
this concept sets them up for failure in the real
world.

RULE 1
Life is not fair - get used to it.

RULE 2
The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world
will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel
good about yourself.

RULE 3
You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out
of high school. You won't be a vice president with
car phone, until you earn both.

RULE 4
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a
boss. He doesn't have tenure.

RULE 5
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
grandparents had a different word for burger flipping
they
called it Opportunity.

RULE 6
If you mess up,it's not your parents' fault, so don't
whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

RULE 7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as
they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about
how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent's generation, try
delousing the closet in your own room.

RULE 8
Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life has not. In some schools they have abolished
failing grades and they'll give you as many times as
you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the
slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

RULE 9
Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get
summers off and very few employers are interested in
helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

RULE 10
Television is NOT real life. In real life people
actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

RULE 11
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for
one.
<!--mstheme-->

IHaveEGA843
04-12-11, 07:06 PM
Here is another thing that popped into my head it was something I read a while back when I was trying to get into college sounds harsh but it is true. (I am just copying this and pasting it from a web site but it should still help) It is Bill Gates 11 rules for life.

world.

RULE 1

RULE 2
good about yourself.

RULE 3

RULE 4

RULE 5
they
called it Opportunity.

RULE 6

RULE 7

RULE 8

RULE 9

RULE 10

RULE 11
one.
<!--mstheme-->

SMMFH....they need this posted up at the RS and around my current job

DudefromDiego
04-12-11, 08:45 PM
world.

RULE 1

RULE 2
good about yourself.

RULE 3

RULE 4

RULE 5
they
called it Opportunity.

RULE 6

RULE 7

RULE 8

RULE 9

RULE 10

RULE 11
one.
<!--mstheme-->

+1. This is right on the money.

USMC Infantry
04-13-11, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna go take a ****.

******* I am so happy to hear this ******* has been banned. hope he doesn't make another account..

Nerd
04-14-11, 09:00 AM
******* I am so happy to hear this ******* has been banned. hope he doesn't make another account..

amen. on the level? Munky, don't be rediculous. that kid is a troll and an assbag.

whatever. he's gone.

On subject: there's taking things personally, and then there's when someone purposely says things that annoy you and ruin something for you just because they can. I gurantee you that snot wouldn't say half of those things to my face.

MunkyVsRobot
04-14-11, 07:42 PM
Understandable, but I find being passive with most people shuts em up faster. IE if you respond to their negative comment but without negativeity. Like when he called me an old man, i didnt respond in kind. What do I care what other people think I plan on going to PI stepping into those yellow footprints and kicking ass

IHaveEGA843
04-14-11, 07:57 PM
^^^^
You know something about being older at a RS though, I get respect for the Recruiters and Poolees like the Recruiters don't talk **** to me or try bossing me around, they just acknowledge me when I acknowledge them say a couple words then continue doing what they do. Other Poolees call me Sir or come up to me and give me formal handshakes asking certain questions. Some don't say **** to me and I really don't care. There is a group of certain Poolees who I assume are the "cool ones" that have tried me with doing pull ups and training with them but once I show them I can do what they do and sometimes do more then them they step off. It's pretty funny also.

On topic though, life's to short to take everything to heart. Sometimes you just have to turn your back and let them look stupid while you walk off. Trust me you WILL encounter more of this once you get out in the world. You think some of the kids are immature at the RS or on here but theres 40-50 year old men that do the same stupid **** and find it hilarious. All you can do is look and shake your head as you walk away but thats life. People will do what they want so why even bother with them.

Stress will kill you, its been medically proven and also tears some people up mentally. Don't give someone that type of control of your mind.

PooleeGewarges
04-14-11, 08:03 PM
^^^^
You know something about being older at a RS though, I get respect for the Recruiters and Poolees like the Recruiters don't talk **** to me or try bossing me around, they just acknowledge me when I acknowledge them say a couple words then continue doing what they do. Other Poolees call me Sir or come up to me and give me formal handshakes asking certain questions. Some don't say **** to me and I really don't care. There is a group of certain Poolees who I assume are the "cool ones" that have tried me with doing pull ups and training with them but once I show them I can do what they do and sometimes do more then them they step off. It's pretty funny also.

On topic though, life's to short to take everything to heart. Sometimes you just have to turn your back and let them look stupid while you walk off. Trust me you WILL encounter more of this once you get out in the world. You think some of the kids are immature at the RS or on here but theres 40-50 year old men that do the same stupid **** and find it hilarious. All you can do is look and shake your head as you walk away but thats life. People will do what they want so why even bother with them.

Stress will kill you, its been medically proven and also tears some people up mentally. Don't give someone that type of control of your mind.

How old are you? I respect that you are training with people way younger than you, and I hope you know in boot you will be surrounded with mostly young people who will give you a hard time and squad leaders being younger than you bossing you around. You have more experience as a working adult, so having that happen to you should be unsettling.

IHaveEGA843
04-15-11, 06:31 AM
Currently 24 and hoping to ship while I'm still 24 but the way this **** is going I may be ****ing 28. Very aggravating and frustrating.

It doesn't matter of the age of who is your squad leader/supervisor is, its the maturity level, leadership/management skills, and over all personality of the person that matters. I have ALOT of Marines or wannabe phony Marines that bring the MilSpec to the job I'm at. If you're not strong willed and strong minded you will be mentally ****ed with and won't be able to take what they dish out to you. Its crazy how many grown ass men complain and whine about how their being treated when they could easily resolve it or complain and whine when they've slacked up when something was supposed to be done.

I hope the Corps isn't like the Gov't contracting world because if it is lord knows I'll hate it. Poor leadership/management, rush attitude followed by the consequences of rework, lazy asses, and just stupid ass people with big egos. I've heard the Corps has its "cliques" and that is like high school cool kids ****. My job has it and trust me its dumb as hell.

I'm ready to be bossed around by a 17/18 year old but regardless of that he will respect me. He can make me sprint to take the trash out but once disrespect is applied I won't tell on him but let him know where he stands.

I'm telling yall youngins man......the civi life isn't what many suppose it is. I really do hope the military life is better quality. My father put up with it 20+ years so I know I can do it.

ajvigs
04-15-11, 07:07 AM
Amen Soon2Be. I know exactly what you are talking about. I too am the oldest in my RS. 22 right now, and dropping out of a hippy college where a vast majority of the students and teachers smoke marijuana and is anti war to become a Marine.

And you are very right on civilian life. I am bored to **** with it and just desire something more. The way the economy is going, no jobs anywhere, putting myself crazily in debt because of student loans, it just doesnt make sense. I hope too that becoming a Marine satisfies this hunger for something more. The hunger to be apart of something big.

ajvigs
04-15-11, 07:13 AM
To get on track though you just have to take everything with a grain of salt. We are all on track to become Marines. We have examples to set to make sure we uphold the honor of everything becoming a Marine is about. Honor. Courage. Integrity. You can't get all butthurt over every little thing in life, just let it go.
People will **** you off, taunt you to get a rise. You want to get back at them? Kill them with kindness. They wont know what hit them.

Trust me lads and ladies, I know. When I was 314+ pounds I was the epitamy of everyones jokes. You know what I did to get back at them all? I lost over 100 pounds and now weigh a ripped up 199. I did more by going to the gym and using everything they used to throw at me for fuel to loose the weight and show them what's what.

Teddy Roosevelt said it best. "Speak softly but carry a big stick"

MunkyVsRobot
04-15-11, 07:29 PM
Once you earn your title nothing else matters, If you cannot adapt and overcome you will just be swallowed up by the system. <br />
<br />
Im not sure why everyone thinks that someone who is older like EGA843...

IHaveEGA843
04-16-11, 03:30 PM
AJVIGS, I saw your pics in the weight lost thread.....Amazing

Munky, most of these youngin won't understand until they've put in time.

There are so many adults who can't handle being supervised and it just kills them when its done. They make it harder for them to hold jobs because they dont like being told what to do, how to do it, and when to have it done. Isn't that expected during Recruit Training? Like my father said, " shut your mouth and do as your told because you will have somebody thinking for you, talking for you, and etc.....your body isn't yours at boot camp."

As long as you can adapt and be closly supervised then you'll be fine. Ok, a 23 year old Sgt is cussing me out because he doesn't like the way I made my rack, what should I do? Listen to his orders then completing them. DONE. Ok, my 18 year old squad leader is mad at me for not doing something the way it should've been done the first time, what should I do? Listen to how it needs to be done correctly then go and correct it. DONE. My 27 year old SDI Gunny was disgusted with the way I marched during drill last week and expects me to do better this week since I was "counsled" on how to cut while making a turn, how should I get this done? Applying what I was told and shown to use when I drill again. DONE.

Close supervision with not MICRO management but IN YOUR ASS management daily.

If any aspect of boot is going to be hard it will be running but I'm currently handling that issue while I'm still here.

Munky will have the experience that I have with being supervised and micromanaged. Any one of you Poolees who work should know also and if you dont know you will know when you hit your MCRDs.

Its something you WILL have to deal with for your working career. Just something else to deal with.