PDA

View Full Version : Improve Running

RojasM
04-10-11, 11:18 PM
I want to improve my running and want feedback on my running exercises. I will Run 3 to 6 miles every morning, each mile at a steady 10 mins.
Then every other day i will sprint at 10 mph as long as i can, take a 2 min break and repeat it, varying from 1.5 miles to 3 miles. I consider my self a good runner but i am overweight and need to loose fat to improve my pull-ups as well as my running.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 06:11 AM
Sprint work is great but dont take a 2 min break. Sprint out a half a mile then jog the next half or even sprint out a quarter then jog a quarter sprint the third quarter then jog the end of the mile. It just shoots that heart rate up there then lets it drop then shoots it back up.

That'll build your cardiovasular up and help you recover faster ie catching your wind back quicker.

Cardio and light lifting helped me lose a tremendous amount of my weight. I'm stronger up top so my pullups shot up once I dropped weight.

Thats the best advice I can give you. You dont need to kill yourself but push yourself though.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 06:13 AM
Also, change that diet. If your flash your body by dramatically changing your diet your body will respond quickly. Cut out those carbs and drink plenty of water. I try to drink a gal or gal and a half of water a day when I work out. If you can just eat fiber in, lean protien, and salad/fruits. You'll see the weight drop off quick!

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 06:14 AM
Well of course silly, less weight you have to pull up to get your chin over the bar.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 06:16 AM
Bruh.....Im 230 pulling up more then most kids there.......

Plus I know that.....If I was 180 man I could possibly do 30-40 pull ups

achilles097
04-11-11, 08:23 AM
I would worry more on those pull-ups Rojas. You're failing right now.

RojasM
04-11-11, 02:32 PM
I would worry more on those pull-ups Rojas. You're failing right now.

And you are a piece of **** civilian that has nothing better to do

achilles097
04-11-11, 03:15 PM
Hey Rojas, I wasn't being rude in any part of my post, I was being honest with you. 2 Pull-ups is a failing score. You may do OKAY in running and crunches, but if you fail any part of the IST/PFT, it is considered failing, and 4 pull ups is the minimum. If you show up to boot camp that way (not saying you will), you will be put in the PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon). I'm sorry but I'm helping you out by letting you know that. I'm not saying you won't show up to boot camp doing only 2, but that is an area judging on your signature that you need to improve significantly upon. I would recommend, if you haven't already, buying an Iron Gym pull-up bar. It is built in a way so that not only can you do pull-ups (overhand wide-grip and underhand), but dips, sit-ups, and has a grip that allows for better pushups. It helped me out a lot in a month. I was doing 4 (the minimum) when I DEP'd in February and now I am at 15, (13 at my last IST).

RojasM
04-11-11, 06:20 PM
Hey Rojas, I wasn't being rude in any part of my post, I was being honest with you. 2 Pull-ups is a failing score. You may do OKAY in running and crunches, but if you fail any part of the IST/PFT, it is considered failing, and 4 pull ups is the minimum. If you show up to boot camp that way (not saying you will), you will be put in the PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon). I'm sorry but I'm helping you out by letting you know that. I'm not saying you won't show up to boot camp doing only 2, but that is an area judging on your signature that you need to improve significantly upon. I would recommend, if you haven't already, buying an Iron Gym pull-up bar. It is built in a way so that not only can you do pull-ups (overhand wide-grip and underhand), but dips, sit-ups, and has a grip that allows for better pushups. It helped me out a lot in a month. I was doing 4 (the minimum) when I DEP'd in February and now I am at 15, (13 at my last IST).

Im not going to waste my time with you. Your just Ignorant.

PooleeGewarges
04-11-11, 06:48 PM
I want to improve my running and want feedback on my running exercises. I will Run 3 to 6 miles every morning, each mile at a steady 10 mins.
Then every other day i will sprint at 10 mph as long as i can, take a 2 min break and repeat it, varying from 1.5 miles to 3 miles. I consider my self a good runner but i am overweight and need to loose fat to improve my pull-ups as well as my running.

Sounds good. And for pullups, try doing pyramids. For crunches, do 100 every other day at your own pace. Then do speed crunches which involve you doing at least 30 very fast with good form. Rest a minute, and repeat 10-15 times.

achilles097
04-11-11, 06:50 PM
If you think I am being ignorant, that's your opinion.

I am going to try one last time to put this in easier terms since written words are sometimes difficult to perceive online.I am trying to help you out. That is not being ignorant or being a stupid civilian. Your pull-up numbers are currently failing! That is not an opinion, but a fact. The Marine Corps is currently downsizing and standards for enlistment are constantly being raised! While in Boot Camp you will take the PFT (Physical fitness test) at least twice, once in the first phase and then in the third phase. If you fail either of these you will be dropped into the Physical Conditioning Platoon!

Second-hand experience tells me that during the initial IST you will be worn out and tired. 10 pull ups may be 5 or 6, 20 may be 15, and so on. I don't know when you DEP'd in, but those numbers overall is not a first-class (what you want to shoot for). Whether you DEP'd in recently or not, a good PFT helps you get promoted faster.

I am not doing this to scare you, but these are the facts! I am sorry if you perceive this as hostile and not what you want to hear, but sometimes it's what has to be said. You have a long time for improvement, all I am trying to say is make it count in all areas, not just running.

PooleeGewarges
04-11-11, 06:53 PM
If you think I am being ignorant, that's your opinion.

I am going to try one last time to put this in easier terms since written words are sometimes difficult to perceive online.I am trying to help you out. That is not being ignorant or being a stupid civilian. Your pull-up numbers are currently failing! That is not an opinion, but a fact! The Marine Corps is currently downsizing and standards for enlistment are constantly being raised! While in Boot Camp you will take the PFT (Physical fitness test) at least twice, once in the first phase and then in the third phase. If you fail either of these you will be dropped into the Physical Conditioning Platoon!

Second-hand experience tells me that during the initial IST you will be worn out and tired . 10 pull ups may be 5 or 6, 20 may be 15, and so on. I don't know when you DEP'd in, but those numbers overall is not a first-class (what you want to shoot for). Whether you DEP'd in recently or not, a good PFT helps you get promoted faster.

I am not doing this to scare you, but these are the facts! I am sorry if you perceive this as hostile and not what you want to hear, but sometimes it's what has to be said. You have a long time for improvement, all I am trying to say is make it count in all areas, not just running.

You are stating the truth. I don't think we will be pting during receiving, so you will be worn out for the IST. My 20 pullups could go down to 12-15 by the end of the week, and so on for my run and crunches. You must exceed the minimum standards.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:14 PM
There were Poolees who got sent off just doing 3 or 5 pull ups. They haven't returned yet so atleast they haven't been kicked out.

While you're at home try to do as much as you can. I don't know about you but when I first started and couldn't lift my own weight I was embarressed as hell. Let that motivate you to do more. Don't be that guy in dead last in the run or only doing 22 crunches or even just hanging from the pull up bar.

**** looks sorry

PooleeGewarges
04-11-11, 08:54 PM
The Marine Corps needs quality, not quantity. Meeting only the minimum standards is not the right thing to do. The Marine Corps would like to see poolees exceed the minimum standards and go beyond. That shows dedication.

Right now I am trying to knock out 150+ crunches and eventually beat my station record of 163. That might not happen so though since I got 2 months until I ship. My pullups are good for now even though I would love to reach 30. My run time I could deal with, I will see how that ends up by then.

Honcho1010
04-11-11, 08:55 PM
What the **** is up with Ro? lol calm down man we are here to help. How is it ignorant to say you need to focus on pull ups? Your running is decent enough it seems so no need to ignore other problems.

robbyj
04-11-11, 10:09 PM

I thought 3 was the minimum? But achilles is right, and hes only trying to help you out, you do NOT want to be in the physical conditioning platoon aka porkchop platoon / donut brigade.

Aim for perfect PFT, not the bare minimum.

achilles097
04-11-11, 10:35 PM
I thought 3 was the minimum? But achilles is right, and hes only trying to help you out, you do NOT want to be in the physical conditioning platoon aka porkchop platoon / donut brigade.

Aim for perfect PFT, not the bare minimum.

I know it's something like 3 or 4 now, but still.. the more the better. They're raising those stats higher because the frequency in which people were getting injured at boot camp was higher than usual and the Marine Corps is sizing down and they have the luxury to pick whomever is in better physical shape. I don't have exact numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum on a lot of these online sites have changed. At our recruiting station our requirement is 10 pull ups, 100 crunches and under 11 minute mile before we can ship. A lot don't make make those numbers mostly because of the run, but that doesn't mean we get 3 pullups, or under 12:00 run and then call it quits.. It's about the recruiters seeing the individual effort and improvement that goes into getting a better IST.

They're not going to drop people for poor scores unless they were close to their ship date and continued to fail. People who show up to PT, work hard, and show improvement in their numbers is what they look for. They understand not everyone is going to be in the same shape when they DEP In. The OP leaves in September, he's got plenty of time to prove himself.

robbyj
04-11-11, 10:42 PM
I know it's something like 3 or 4 now, but still.. the more the better. They're raising those stats higher because the frequency in which people were getting injured at boot camp was higher than usual and the Marine Corps is sizing down and they have the luxury to pick whomever is in better physical shape. I don't have exact numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum on a lot of these online sites have changed. At our recruiting station our requirement is 10 pull ups, 100 crunches and under 11 minute mile before we can ship. A lot don't make make those numbers mostly because of the run, but that doesn't mean we get 3 pullups, or under 12:00 run and then call it quits.. It's about the recruiters seeing the individual effort and improvement that goes into getting a better IST.

They're not going to drop people for poor scores unless they were close to their ship date and continued to fail. People who show up to PT, work hard, and show improvement in their numbers is what they look for. They understand not everyone is going to be in the same shape when they DEP In. The OP leaves in September, he's got plenty of time to prove himself.

I like your recruiting station policy, I'd our recruiting station to be the same was but if it was more than half would be cut and we would be left with about 7 Poolees.

IHaveEGA843
04-12-11, 06:52 AM
Our RS just gets you to do the IST and pass it.

I'm worrying about the 3 miler and my Recruiter says dont worry about it.....YOU WILL be able to do it once you grad

achilles097
04-12-11, 12:14 PM
Our RS just gets you to do the IST and pass it.

I'm worrying about the 3 miler and my Recruiter says dont worry about it.....YOU WILL be able to do it once you grad

I think what he means is they'll build you up so that when you do 3 miles it'll be a breeze. Same thing for us Infantry poolees, I dreaded hearing about that 25 mile full combat load hump we have to do in the fleet but then my buddy says they build you up for it. That's still going to suck though...

Honcho1010
04-12-11, 12:33 PM
^Yea, i know guys who can run 10 miles easy but still don't want to run 10 miles. Damn Recon guys..

Tbrown10
04-12-11, 12:35 PM
I think what he means is they'll build you up so that when you do 3 miles it'll be a breeze. Same thing for us Infantry poolees, I dreaded hearing about that 25 mile full combat load hump we have to do in the fleet but then my buddy says they build you up for it. That's still going to suck though...

you get breaks every 2-3 hours though dont you?

achilles097
04-12-11, 12:39 PM
you get breaks every 2-3 hours though dont you?

They said they got one break per hour five-ten minute intervals each.

Barnett20110425
04-12-11, 12:59 PM
My recruiter told me that I should just focus on the 1.5 miler...I can pass that easily.
I told him that I was running like 4.5 miles.
Now if I could just get my 20 pull ups.
I seem stuck at 14.

MunkyVsRobot
04-12-11, 06:39 PM
Id also say to improve running, just do it. Dont time yourself dont have a distance in mind just set a spot you want to run to then run either all the way there or half way there then walk a little bit then when you turn around you do the same.

If you work your way up you will be surprised how quickly you can get into running shape unfortunately it wont be over night but itll surely happen sooner than later.

Side note I know this one guy he is a cyclist and for his 80th B-Day he cycled over 80 miles on a whim now thats what i call in shape.

achilles097
04-12-11, 06:57 PM
Our family is good friends with a 100 yr old down the block and I tell you...he's in amazing shape. Running everyday, lean, you wouldn't guess he was a day over 65. My mom voluntold me to run with him and this guy was a monster. I was faster but his endurance was insane. This guy runs the Marine Corps marathon which runs through my town every year. Not everyday you say you got beat by a 100 yr old on a run.

IHaveEGA843
04-12-11, 07:17 PM
^^^^There's so many of the older generations who are in better shape then our generation now. You ever notice when you see older people running they seem to move slow as hell? They dont care about time, they just care about the endurance of putting more miles in.

Once I got to the point of running 1.5 I did speed work. The treadmill will never be able to set at a pace you feel comfortable at, either its going to fast or to slow. Use that to to do sprints for a certain distance then drop it down. You gotta keep moving or you will be flung off.

When I do the road I just run. My pace, no time, just me and nature. That's a big mind clearer because instead of just staring at a wall or watching the time/miles on a machine you're outside paying attention to whats around you, you're watching for traffic, you're in your own world. Thats where distance will be needed. If you ever noticed that while you're running outside the moment a car comes your direction your mind gets to thinking of a way to move out of the way but keep moving. When I go back thinking of running I notice I've covered a good bit of ground and I wasn't even paying attention to it.

One big problem I have is that when I see or know the end is near my body wants to slow down and stop so I have to push to finish. It sucks because I begin to feel real tired and start losing my breathing pattern but I make sure I run either at the same pace or a bit faster on the last stretch.

Keep your mind positive by telling yourself you can do it and you'll notice the more confidence you have the more better you feel about achieving at what you're doing.

green333
04-12-11, 07:27 PM
just throwin this out there not puttin anyone down but if your a treadmill runner i suggest gettin off of it and start runnin pavement. before i enlisted all i ran was the treadmill and when i started runnin on a track or whatever it was alot harder treadmills dont give you the true run,or atleast i dont think so anyways just puttin in my 2 cents

IHaveEGA843
04-12-11, 07:32 PM
Truth but I run both and actually I run faster off the treadmill because I use my stride *I have long legs* which makes me a bit faster.

I can have the speed up to 7.0 and if I let my mind travel I'll begin bumping into the front of the machine or my feet with start hitting the plastic part upfront.

I use it to push my sprints but again road miles do you justice.

achilles097
04-12-11, 07:41 PM
I tried running on a treadmill once...i didn't really enjoy it that much..too monotonous... It was pretty easy to get bored even with a TV sometimes. I also don't like running with music.

PooleeGewarges
04-12-11, 08:50 PM
Our family is good friends with a 100 yr old down the block and I tell you...he's in amazing shape. Running everyday, lean, you wouldn't guess he was a day over 65. My mom voluntold me to run with him and this guy was a monster. I was faster but his endurance was insane. This guy runs the Marine Corps marathon which runs through my town every year. Not everyday you say you got beat by a 100 yr old on a run.

Is that even true? That is fricking amazing and motivating.

achilles097
04-12-11, 08:56 PM
youtube.com/watch?v=y_nbkwFR5AU

^ put www in front of that link and check that out, 64 year old is doing 27 pull-ups and all of it combined is a 297 PFT!

But yes, my story is 100% true. I ran 5 miles with him and he said that was a warm-up for him. Superhuman all the way. He doesn't have a family so we invite him over for dinner sometimes.

PooleeGewarges
04-12-11, 09:00 PM
youtube.com/watch?v=y_nbkwFR5AU

^ put www in front of that link and check that out, 64 year old is doing 27 pull-ups and all of it combined is a 297 PFT!

But yes, my story is 100% true. I ran 5 miles with him and he said that was a warm-up for him. Superhuman all the way. He doesn't have a family so we invite him over for dinner sometimes.

That youtube vid I had seen many times and it is still amazing. I believe your story, but to me it is just to amazing that a 100 year old man is in better shape than most teens today.

USMC Infantry
04-13-11, 01:32 PM
That youtube vid I had seen many times and it is still amazing. I believe your story, but to me it is just to amazing that a 100 year old man is in better shape than most teens today.

why do you have two accounts on leatherneck?

Honcho1010
04-13-11, 02:50 PM
That's his brother...

IHaveEGA843
04-14-11, 06:28 AM
Seriously hit the treadmill for speed work and the streets for pace distance running.

I ran 1.5-2 miles yesterday at a steady pace, controlled my breathing the whole time, and near the end sped up a bit. I wasn't even tired until I sprint the final stretch.

I thought I would be tired before I got to a certain point and with the doubt I had in my head I held myself back but when I did it with ease I really fell great about it. I was more motivated then anything else.

Throw the pace up on the treadmill and hold it there until you feel yourself hitting your max and slow it down but finish out the 1.5-2 miles.

I also found out my run time was WAY faster then what I thought it was. Just do it man.....I'm getting to the point of actually enjoying a nice run during these mild afternoons.

ajvigs
04-14-11, 11:46 AM
I second what Soon2Have says. I have been jumping on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes at a time. Be sure you stretch out then do a warm up of about 5 minutes then set it to a good clip and go.

Yesterday I did that and went just about 4 miles in 30 minutes. I was shocked.

Another trick (and sorry if I repeat anything someone else said here) is to get on an elliptical machine. They help build up your muscles.

Don't forget doing some squats or leg presses to build your leg muscles up to help. I have found that by doing squats for sets of 15 and the same for the leg press my legs have gotten stronger enabling me to run more. And they help strengthen the core for crunches.

Stay motivated.

IHaveEGA843
04-14-11, 12:00 PM
Yessir, the eliptical does wonders on those hamstrings and calves!

I do 30 min of interval *4 min intervals* eliptical training. I do high resistance maximum height and then medium resistance and medium height. It works the hell out of your legs.

I can't speak on squats or any leg weight lifting techniques since I don't do them.

ajvigs
04-14-11, 02:32 PM
I like doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the elliptical. You go a 2 minute warm up, then burn it for a minute, 1 minute nice pace, then repeat until you hit 20 mins. Works real good after a weight training session to burn fat because when you lift you use up your glycogen stores so then you use fat stores for energy.

Try using a dumbell and hold it mid chest and do squats for sets of 15. I can do a 50lb dumbell comfortably. It works your leg muscles AND replicates what we will do in sandbag PT

Jump Rope is another good one to build them leg muscles AND get a good cardio workout. They all will help with the running. But nothing works better than just running in itself.

Do Work Poolees. :flag:

MunkyVsRobot
04-19-11, 05:37 PM
This whole running and getting back into shape sucks lol. I seriously hope I am relatively ready for boot come November.

Honcho1010
04-19-11, 06:21 PM
This whole running and getting back into shape sucks lol. I seriously hope I am relatively ready for boot come November.

hahahahahahaha We all feel this way man. I was just thinking about this yesterday that was long as i can move my legs ill push through it.

IHaveEGA843
04-20-11, 05:31 AM

Starting out was the worst part especially thinking running was actually easy. I remember just running around a corner would already have me burnt the **** out. Now I kinda enjoy it, its a great way to just clear your mind and once I'm done I have tons of energy built up.

I can now run and if I wanted to walk the 1.5 and STILL make it to pass the run time. Now its on to atleast getting 4-5 miles in starting from a 2 mile starting point. It will suck but I want to be able to run it and not be dead from it.

IHaveEGA843
04-20-11, 05:34 AM
Also, anyone every start running the some how your mind thinks you're running to slow and you speed up but notice you're actually going faster then you thought you was?

Itll start out paced right then think I slowed down for some reason then speed up then get back on pace then think I'm slowing down again then speed up. Its funny

MunkyVsRobot
04-20-11, 11:28 AM
Thats kinda what I am hoping is that it gets easier. To be perfectly honest my 13:48 mile and a half thats the first time I have ever run a mile and a half.

I try to run as little as possible right now i hate it I feel like I am breathing heavy too early into my runs and my legs get all sore, I also think im starting to get shin splints again because the muscles in my shins are weakend from having stopped working out, after my runs too i get that coughing sensation when i breathe in not a fan of that.

But thems is definately the breaks when it comes to getting back into shape. Something that Ill have to break through if I want to earn the title.

IHaveEGA843
04-20-11, 11:55 AM
To deal with your breathing problems you're going to have to train yourself to breath slowly in your nose and slowly out of your mouth. Keep doing it and try to run while saying cadence some times. Start out slow man, run a mile then add a half then go to 2 miles. I had to do that and once I got use to running a mile I bumped it up.

Shin splints could also be due to you're legs not being able to support your upper body weight. I had that problem and my knees would always hurt but once I lost weight it went away.

You'll get better over time and once you can finally start running more distance do speed work. The treadmill works wonders for that because you can never really set your own pace, either its to slow or to fast.

PooleeGewarges
04-20-11, 03:51 PM
To deal with your breathing problems you're going to have to train yourself to breath slowly in your nose and slowly out of your mouth. Keep doing it and try to run while saying cadence some times. Start out slow man, run a mile then add a half then go to 2 miles. I had to do that and once I got use to running a mile I bumped it up.

Shin splints could also be due to you're legs not being able to support your upper body weight. I had that problem and my knees would always hurt but once I lost weight it went away.

You'll get better over time and once you can finally start running more distance do speed work. The treadmill works wonders for that because you can never really set your own pace, either its to slow or to fast.

I usually get shin splints when my running shoes are worn out.

IHaveEGA843
04-21-11, 05:46 AM
^^^^That also but it all boils down to how shock effect affects your legs.

RojasM
04-21-11, 11:07 AM
I changed my running plan!
I jog at 0600 for about an hour to an hour and a half. I try to shoot for 7 or 8 miles but usually do 6, 8 -10 minute miles. After that at 1200 i run a mile to warm up and sprint another mile. I sprint at 10 mph for as long as i can, take a 30 sec break and do it again until i finish my mile. After that i run and walk up the stairs for 10 minutes. I started doing this everyday this week and so far i think i am improving. Any feedback?

IHaveEGA843
04-22-11, 05:48 AM
^^^
You really don't need to kill yourself man because it will not make your body get use to it any faster. If you could run 7-8 miles FULLY RUN IT then you should have some low IST times.

MunkyVsRobot
04-22-11, 05:21 PM
For me the toughest pill to swallow is that I can't run as fast as everyone else and at least at this moment it takes everything I have to make the mile and a half. Obviously I am training and working on my running an other skills. I also intend on working on everything and jump through any an all hoops while building up my physical fitness but it is still a tough pill to swallow.

IHaveEGA843
04-24-11, 05:50 PM
^^^^Brutha Mayne....

How long have you been running? The hardest thing to do is tofind YOUR OWN PACE because your mind wants you to run with the fastest runners and get a great time. YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!!! If you run a slow passing IST so be it man. Build up to where you can run 1.5 EASILY meaning that when you finish the 1.5 you don't need to drink a half a gal of water or sprawl out on the floor/chair like some Poolees I see doing. I catch my wind back so fast that if I wasn't sweating you'd think I never ran.

Build your body and endurance up man. Run a mile until you've "mastered" it. Add on mileage once you feel confident and comfortable with your proformance. Thats what I did and trust me I couldn't even run half a mile with out stopping. Run and push but dont kill yourself. You can give 110% and not be that fella stretched out on the ground being looked at by others as you get worked on. I've been there and won't be there again. I've been near passing out and won't go there again. Trust me man......old guy to old guy.....my advice is truth.

You'll never be able to compare yourself to others because you're going against fresh out of high school young adults that do track or run cross country. You can't do it. Work up to it. Pass the IST first then work on speed. Its like rebuilding a old car, get the car running first then take it out and see what it can do. If you rebuilt the engine and just pushed it the first day you can easily blow it but if you break it in and gave it time before you gun it you'll have a solid 383 twin turbo stroker that will do great.

See that.....car talk incorporated with pt.....lemme get some dap on that

Jacob824
04-26-11, 08:34 PM
Listening to you guys makes me feel like am way behind. I am in my senior year and run track but as a sprinter, long jump and hurdler. I have made it to the Ohio state regional level the last two years but my distance stinks. I did my best a while back at 20 minutes and some change for 3 miles. I am not sure I could even finish 3 today. I plan on hitting it hard here soon. I start boot camp August 8th.

MunkyVsRobot
05-09-11, 07:27 PM
I am so pumped I ran 1.2 miles today without walking at all. I am pretty psyched about this a few weeks ago i was finding it super hard just making it to .8 of a mile.

This is also coming from someone who ran his first mile and a half EVER last month, I am 100% not a runner but I feel as if i am making some progress.

IHaveEGA843
05-09-11, 08:47 PM
Good stuff bruh!

Keep pushing and striving because you'll get there, trust me I had the same problems but now I'm doing better then ever.