PDA

View Full Version : Better PFT

MunkyVsRobot
04-10-11, 10:00 AM
I depped in a few weeks ago and my IST is pretty terrible right now im at 4 pull ups 78 sit ups in 2 min and my 1.5 is at like 13:48.

Im looking to try and get super moto and less lazy to get those numbers higher and my run time lower.

Im trying to do some pull ups over the weekend but my abs are still a little sore from yesterday making it a bit difficult to do the pull ups. Do you guys do pull ups every day or do you vary your routines, like pull ups one day and sit ups on another?

Desm20110516
04-10-11, 12:28 PM
Sounds like you're overdoing it. You should come up with a number of reps you think you can handle (like right before you hit failure) and do that like twice a day. Slowly increase the number you do as your capability rises.

You should be doing crunches, not situps. That may be why you're so sore.

robbyj
04-10-11, 01:48 PM
I depped in a few weeks ago and my IST is pretty terrible right now im at 4 pull ups 78 sit ups in 2 min and my 1.5 is at like 13:48.

Im looking to try and get super moto and less lazy to get those numbers higher and my run time lower.

Im trying to do some pull ups over the weekend but my abs are still a little sore from yesterday making it a bit difficult to do the pull ups. Do you guys do pull ups every day or do you vary your routines, like pull ups one day and sit ups on another?

Pullups-Do the recon ron pullup program
Situps- Do as many as you can in 2 minutes, then 1 1/2 minutes, then 1 minute, then 30 seconds
Running-Do 1.5 miles every other day and time yourself and try to drop 5-10 seconds each time you run

IHaveEGA843
04-10-11, 06:00 PM
Sit ups will build those muscles up because they do work your core more then crunches BUT they also do mess with your neck also. I just do as many sit ups as I can and recently I've been doing 100 reps on the ad machine. I have 70lbs on weight to "crunch" and it does work the core like a mutha ****a.

Pull ups.....get a pull up bar. The pull up pyramind does work and also doing them often too or if you can do as many as you can and when you feel yourself straining and just "stuck" in mid air actually try fighting it before you give up. Hit the bar everytime you walk in and out of the room. While you're playing games or watching tv hit the bar with a full set when theres a break.

1.5 miles. Get comfortable with a decent mile first. Get to the point where you can basically sprint a half of a mile then work your way up. I'm close to the point of full sprinting a mile. Speed work helps with time also. Sprint a quarter of a mile then slowly jog the next quarter and repeat or sprint a half a mile, walk a quarter, then sprint the next quarter, then walk for a couple seconds then sprint the last stretch out. Breathing is the biggest technique to running. In your nose slow.....out of your mouth slow. The better you breath, the long you can actually keep the heart rate down and supply your body with the right amount of oxygen it needs but when you begin to kill the process you will start noticing fatigue setting in.

Run a 1.5 man and build up that resistance because trust me it will get easier once your body is use to that distance but just dont stop there.....but it up to 2 miles then 2.5 and so on.

The lat pull down machine is your friend also.....use it

C_Squash_D
04-10-11, 07:14 PM
Recon Ron program for pull-ups.
For Sit-ups, do latters/pyramids of 15. Don't know what that is?

1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, 3 reps, rest, ..., 15 reps, rest, 14 reps, ... , 1 rep
The first time I did that, my abs got sore as hell, but a few days later I had a little six pack that wasn't there before. And that from only doing it once.

Run time: Try to run a 5K and every 3-4 minutes speed it up a little, then gradually become slower to the pace you started with. Worked for me. Brought my 5K time down from 28 minutes to 21 minutes in about 3 months, and I used to HATE running back then so I didnt do it so often.

Tbrown10
04-10-11, 07:39 PM
I do the Armstrong pull up workout, i went from 14-19 in about a month..maybe less? did it 3 days a week..crunches i just did 200 everyday ..would do like 30..then 20 then 15..then 20..till i got 200. i also do like weighted incline situps with a 5lb weight and leg lifts. for run time i just started at 1.5 and would run 1.5 one day then run/walk 3 miles the next.. just keep at it and get yourself out of that comfort zone and you'll be good. if ya wanna try one of my old routines just let me know

PooleeGewarges
04-10-11, 07:41 PM
Run til you puke, do pull ups until your arms explode, crunch until you crap your pants.

:mad:

robbyj
04-10-11, 08:33 PM
Run til you puke, do pull ups until your arms explode, crunch until you crap your pants.

The idea of improving your IST results is to push yourself, not to kill yourself.:thumbdown

MunkyVsRobot
04-10-11, 10:11 PM
Well I think I am going to try and run every day. Id like to trying to get better at the pull ups too I think I might have to start doing those every other day or something till i am used to doing them. I have one of those Iron Gym dealies i know I wont have an 8 minute mile and a half or 25 pull ups over night but id like to at least get down to a 10 or 11 min run time quickly and at least double digits by next IST

Desm20110516
04-10-11, 11:04 PM

Yea, overdoing it can be detrimental... Not a good idea. Our future drill instructors wont even work us to the point that it's detrimental. You have to be incremental if you want to see results.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 06:15 AM
You really cant work out everyday because your body needs to replenish it self and build. Work out 4 days a week with wednesday being that day off. Rest is the most important part of working out because your body repairs itself when you sleep.

USMC Infantry
04-11-11, 12:41 PM

I do that **** in a gym every day

achilles097
04-11-11, 01:14 PM
Soon2ToBeEGA is right. Your muscles don't regenerate if you don't rest. as long as you don't do it for hours because it can cause muscle loss. If you overdo any type of cardio it can cause muscle loss and this includes calisthenics.

"Should I run until I vomit" Yikes, are you kidding? I believe in training hard... but that just sounds too... (forgive my frankness) stupid...Again, forgive me but I really like feeling GREAT before, during, & after training. I don't want to dread training. Well, that's my take on it. I always put out 100% and don't puke. We run IST's and I bust out running and end up the second fastest. And well...my motivation for running fast is just getting crap done quicker. I want to be running for LESS amount of time. I can't jog or "shuffle run". My joints actually hurt when I run slower. Don't ask how or why, my mom whose a physical therapist can't even figure that **** out.

I can't believe that there is any benefit whatsoever to vomiting during training. I would feel like I did something wrong leading up to an IST if I were to begin vomiting. Not only does your stomach acid irritate and hurt your throat you would have to scrub down your shoes after ever training session. I can understand if you ate some bad sushi but other than that I would not use vomiting as a training gauge. I would try to understand what it is that is causing you to want to vomit and correct it. How often do you see Olympic runners puke after a race?

I always see the people NOT in shape puke. It's just common sense...even they say it's because they lived a sedentary lifestyle up until that point and want to change that. I commend them. But I see it every workout...the fat poolee who says he works out everyday and after a month his IST has no improvement and he still pukes after a workout after he "works hard". Who are you trying to fool?

achilles097
04-11-11, 01:26 PM
Well I think I am going to try and run every day. Id like to trying to get better at the pull ups too I think I might have to start doing those every other day or something till i am used to doing them. I have one of those Iron Gym dealies i know I wont have an 8 minute mile and a half or 25 pull ups over night but id like to at least get down to a 10 or 11 min run time quickly and at least double digits by next IST

I think your routine will work. You definitely have the right mindset there. Many people get suckered into thinking they can improve their numbers overnight...I will use an example from the gym I go to after work. After New Year's...you know when everyone decides to make their resolution...a common resolution is to lose weight. Not a bad thing by itself, right? Minimum is a few months, so most sign up and get right to work on the treadmills and indoor track. Although I saw a few come in intermittently over the course of those months, I see the majority for about two weeks and then never saw them again.

I have the Iron Gym and my numbers improved in a month. The key is consistency and heart.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 07:49 PM
Soon2ToBeEGA is right. Your muscles don't regenerate if you don't rest. as long as you don't do it for hours because it can cause muscle loss. If you overdo any type of cardio it can cause muscle loss and this includes calisthenics.

"Should I run until I vomit" Yikes, are you kidding? I believe in training hard... but that just sounds too... (forgive my frankness) stupid...Again, forgive me but I really like feeling GREAT before, during, & after training. I don't want to dread training. Well, that's my take on it. I always put out 100% and don't puke. We run IST's and I bust out running and end up the second fastest. And well...my motivation for running fast is just getting crap done quicker. I want to be running for LESS amount of time. I can't jog or "shuffle run". My joints actually hurt when I run slower. Don't ask how or why, my mom whose a physical therapist can't even figure that **** out.

I can't believe that there is any benefit whatsoever to vomiting during training. I would feel like I did something wrong leading up to an IST if I were to begin vomiting. Not only does your stomach acid irritate and hurt your throat you would have to scrub down your shoes after ever training session. I can understand if you ate some bad sushi but other than that I would not use vomiting as a training gauge. I would try to understand what it is that is causing you to want to vomit and correct it. How often do you see Olympic runners puke after a race?

I always see the people NOT in shape puke. It's just common sense...even they say it's because they lived a sedentary lifestyle up until that point and want to change that. I commend them. But I see it every workout...the fat poolee who says he works out everyday and after a month his IST has no improvement and he still pukes after a workout after he "works hard". Who are you trying to fool?

We have the same mindset of "hurry up and get **** done" but it use to hurt me when I first started running because I would burn myself out and pay for it during the remainder of the run.

I BELIEVE.......I.....BELIEVE......throwing up is caused of lack of hydration. I know when I'm putting out when I begin the cramping of the midsection.

Also, do alot of core work. The core of your body is used for everything the IST/PFT consist of. Pull ups use your abs, crunches, and running. The stronger the core the better results you'll have.

I read that in the last issue of the Marines mag.

MunkyVsRobot
04-11-11, 08:03 PM
Problem I have and what the problem most people have when they stop working out is.. You fall out of shape SOOO fast. My contract for kickboxing ended beginning of March and I really havent worked out since then but I felt so horrible during the IST. The thing that goes the quickest for me and also which is the hardest to get back is the breathing, breathing is the key to everything if you cant breathe you fail.

IHaveEGA843
04-11-11, 08:08 PM
Yea breathing also.....

It your nose and out your mouth.....Its hard to do when you want to gasp for air

robbyj
04-11-11, 10:16 PM
We have the same mindset of "hurry up and get **** done" but it use to hurt me when I first started running because I would burn myself out and pay for it during the remainder of the run.

I BELIEVE.......I.....BELIEVE......throwing up is caused of lack of hydration. I know when I'm putting out when I begin the cramping of the midsection.

Also, do alot of core work. The core of your body is used for everything the IST/PFT consist of. Pull ups use your abs, crunches, and running. The stronger the core the better results you'll have.

I read that in the last issue of the Marines mag.

I only puked once at PT, that was because of a bag of cheetos before PT

My advice to avoid throwing up/cramps is to get 8 hours of sleep the night before., eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, don't eat right before pt, make sure its a good 4-5 hours before PT when you eat. Increasing your salt intake can also help avoid cramps as well as stretching out your sides.