PDA

View Full Version : Metal Boot Bands

Cellinheim
04-09-11, 11:50 AM
JUST CURIOUS AS TO A FEW TEQNUIQES TO STRETCH METAL BOOT BANDS TO THE PROPER SIZE OUTSIDE OF WEARING THEM AND CAUSING MUSCULAR ATROPHY UNTIL THEY FIT PROPERLY ... :cool:

m14ed
04-09-11, 12:14 PM
For a lack of understanding the term of what a "BootBand" may be,,
( 80 recruits playing Kazoo's )?????

I can reply that i think you may be asking about what we used to call "BlousingGarters"
(Used for blousing your trousers) while wearing what ever has replaced Utilities.

They're just springs, pull them a little bit
Stretch them just like you immagined
till they almost feel loose enough.
Take some of the Spring out of them.

Not much of a Mystery Smedley

Zulu 36
04-09-11, 12:15 PM
Springs were my favorite for blousing. You need to stretch them a little at a time. Start in the middle, stretch a bit, then test for fit. Stretch a little near one end, test for fit. Keep doing this a little at a time until they feel just right.

Don't stretch too much at once otherwise the springs are toast. It may be a bit time-consuming to stretch a little at a time, but saves from buying a new set of springs and starting over.

Cellinheim
04-09-11, 12:18 PM
Lol, Forgive Me, We Were Taught The Term "bootbands" On The Isle. I Also Tend To Over Think Things. Figured It Would Have Been Simpler Than I Assumed.

Old Marine
04-09-11, 01:34 PM
We used to take rifle shells out of their casing and put the shells in the springs for weight, thus held the trouser leg taught even though they made noise when walking.

tracs1833
04-10-11, 03:33 AM
Springs were my favorite for blousing. You need to stretch them a little at a time. Start in the middle, stretch a bit, then test for fit. Stretch a little near one end, test for fit. Keep doing this a little at a time until they feel just right.

Don't stretch too much at once otherwise the springs are toast. It may be a bit time-consuming to stretch a little at a time, but saves from buying a new set of springs and starting over.

I preferred the spring blousing garters myself. Although, if you did not have them properly 'stretched', they would almost amputate your upper ankle.
By the way, where did everyone blouse their trousers? I bloused mine just under the top eyelet on my combat boots. That wouldn't last long though. After a little marching, walking or sitting they would assume their normal position just at the top of my boots.

Zulu 36
04-10-11, 10:10 AM
I preferred the spring blousing garters myself. Although, if you did not have them properly 'stretched', they would almost amputate your upper ankle.
By the way, where did everyone blouse their trousers? I bloused mine just under the top eyelet on my combat boots. That wouldn't last long though. After a little marching, walking or sitting they would assume their normal position just at the top of my boots.

As I remember, we were supposed to blouse them between the top eyelet and second eyelet. Like you said, they didn't stay there long and ended up just above the boot top. Nobody in power seemed to get annoyed since it happened to everyone of them too.

I did learn to buy utility trousers a little long in the inseam and that seemed to help keep the blousing from creeping too far up above the boot top.

EA-6BMarine
04-10-11, 05:56 PM
Above the boot top just makes more sense, I mean throughout the day they are just going to keep rising unless you want to keep adjusting them every 5 minutes.

Drafter
04-10-11, 06:22 PM
They always ripped the hair off my leg, opted for the cloth od green rope type. That was back it the 80's tho.

MD8724
04-11-11, 11:38 AM
Above the boot top just makes more sense.

It's meant to keep crap from getting into your boot, so above the boot tap makes absolutely no sense.

Anyways, I've used the same green rubber band deal for about 3 years now. I literally mean the same one, or two I suppose. They work just fine.

FistFu68
04-11-11, 11:58 AM
:evilgrin:Roll Ur Sock's down W/tha Boot Band's inside The Roll on Top of Ur Boot's...Then it won't matter How tight they are @ Will stetch accordingly,great 4 Stealth when pulling Panty Raid's @ Sneakin' up on The Enemy!!! Swift Silent Deadly~~~India 3 Out~~~S/F :thumbup: :iwo:

SlingerDun
04-11-11, 03:56 PM
CAUSING MUSCULAR ATROPHY UNTIL THEY FIT PROPERLY ... Have any of your toes gone numb yet? Mine did, and i can pinpoint the episode to about the time we rated bloused boots. They stayed numb and i thought it was from being on my feet all the time, yet a couple months after EAS the feeling returned. Nutty huh?