PDA

View Full Version : MOS'es and Promotions

SoonToBe3521
04-07-11, 10:11 PM
Before I ask my question, I'd like to say this has no effect on my MOS choice, my motives for joining the Marine Corps, or my desire to be a Marine. Rank isn't a huge deal to me.

I've heard plenty of times that your MOS will effect how often or how quickly you're promoted. Which brings me to wonder about mine. Does anyone know what promotions are like in Active Duty Motor Transport? Again, I'll say this will have no effect whatsoever on my feelings about my MOS or the Marine Corps. I'm just interested, since I've heard of Marines in things like Infantry who aren't promoted very quickly. Thanks in advance.

iamspartacus
04-08-11, 11:11 AM
I wasn't motor-t, but I will say that any comments people have about this MOS in regards to promotion may or may not still be accurate by the time you hit the fleet. Promotions for sergeants and below are determined by your cutting score (a combination of rifle range score, PFT/CFT score, MCIs completed, and time in grade/service) That number goes up and down on a quarterly basis. If that particular MOS has all the Marines they need or is overstaffed, their cutting score will be high. If they are hurting for people, their cutting score will be low. My MOS, for instance, was hurting for people the first couple years I was in. The cutting scores were lower than most. First term Marines were getting 20k to re-enlist. But then somehow we got way overstaffed and the promotions were either locked out for months on end or the highest they had been in history. When it came time for me to re-enlist there was no re-enlistment bonus. So while yes, there are jobs that typically promote fast and other promote slow, it's really just a crap shoot when trying to predict anything.

SoonToBe3521
04-08-11, 10:30 PM
Oh good to know, thanks :)

WXSgt
04-08-11, 11:15 PM
I was a aviation mechanic spent 5 years as a cpl because my mos was non promoting when i reenlisted as a first termer i latmoved into another mos that was quicker promoting and they are needing Marines so were offering a 61k bonus. i believe to enlist in weather now for boots aka poolees its 6k just to join.

GSKI2035
04-16-11, 05:50 AM
From my general knowledge through our Regiment's MT Mech and Operators they are a little above average for their cutting scores to make CPL or SGT; not quite as high as Grunts or Admin but higher than most. Doing a little more research for April 2011 the scores from LCPL to CPL were
3451 Closed out
3521 1593
3531 1629
Which is most cases means a little over a year depending on your Comp Score.

Tennessee Top
04-16-11, 12:35 PM
As you can see, it will mostly depend on your performance (proficiency) and conduct. The object of the promotion system naturally is to promote the most qualified/worthy. So, there is always incentive to do your very best on the rifle range, running the PFT/CFT, etc. And of course, stay out of trouble.

Besides getting PFC out of bootcamp, there is a way to get promoted ahead of your peers and that's through the meritorious promotion system. Commands have meritorious promotion boards regularly or you can earn a meritorious promotion by doing things like being named the "Marine of the Quarter/Year" at your duty station or maybe class honorman at a formal school. Obviously, only a very small percentage of Marines will ever be promoted meritoriously but it's something everyone can strive for.

It may not be a part of the composite score but there are many ways you can shine above your competition for promotions. There may be an upcoming Commanding General's inspection or something similar where your MT unit will be graded or looked at very closely. You may bust your butt preparing the equipment or paperwork and as a direct result of your efforts, your unit receives an "outstanding" mark. Something like that may result in your being awarded the Navy Achievement Medal and recommendation for the next Marine of the Quarter Board. Working hard and, just as important, staying out of trouble, is the formula for success in the USMC. The system is designed to not reward slackers or troublemakers.