PDA

View Full Version : Worried!!!

holey336
04-07-11, 08:36 PM
so im starting to realize i only have a little over 50 days left before im supposed to ship. since i've dep'ed in ive been training as much as possible to get ready for boot camp, everything has improved dramatically and i can pass all the ist stuff except for running. running is where i have seen the least improvement my fastest 1.5 mile was 12:54, last week i ran it in 13:20:mad:. ive been sprinting, running long ditance for stamina, doing other types of extreme cardio, running on sand, running with weights, doing intervals, pushing myself as hard as i can in pt, and eveything else i can think of but still have barely improved, n now with less than 2 months left i need to cut a minute or so off my run time so i can qualify to ship:(. any ideas?

achilles097
04-07-11, 09:07 PM
Are you mixing things up in your workout routine? Doing the same thing expecting different results will 'plateau' your improvement....mix it up..surprise your body. Do you think it's a problem with your endurance or speed?

holey336
04-07-11, 09:55 PM
i try to mix it up as much as i can, not so much workout to workout but every 2-3 weeks ill switch it up. i think its a little of both my endurance has improved dramitically but i tend to slow down after that first mile, so its probably speed. the speed i can maintain isnt fast enough i guess. i get this tightness in my lower legs/ ankles that slows me down no matter how hard i push and then i get winded for pushing too hard. ive also been working on leg strength, finally got over shin pain but cant make time

SoonToBe3521
04-07-11, 09:59 PM
On ************* there's a page specifically called "how to knock 1:00 off your PFT run time" in their Fitness Center section. Go take a look, is my suggestion.

SoonToBe3521
04-07-11, 10:00 PM
Christ. Military dot com*

holey336
04-07-11, 10:08 PM
thanks soontobe, i've seen that and tried it but couldnt really hack it back when i first started, maybe ill give it anouther go.

Honcho1010
04-07-11, 10:55 PM
I have the same problem dude. No matter what i do i get tired while running, i just push through it. You'll get there.

holey336
04-07-11, 10:57 PM
thanks honcho, lets just hope i get there before i have to leave for boot camp

Languagelover23
04-08-11, 01:48 AM
Fellow Poolee, I can completely understand where you're coming from. I have been trying to pass my run since November. I do great on the other portions of the IST, but in the run portion, I always choke during the real test. For me, the problem is all mental. I am not a natural athlete. I had never done anything physical or athletic in my entire life. I get psyched out with the run, but pass all other requirements no problem. I think I figured out my problem- I have stage fright. Is it something similar for you? Even logically, I know 1.5 miles is NOT a long distance to run at all. I haven't even given any thought to the up and coming 3-mile run. But this 1.5 mile run kills me. I get so tense during the tests, bc I know I'm being watched so specifically, that I get really tense and lock up. That slows me down. I am so close, but still yet so far. All my dreams are hanging on this stupid run, and I can't even conquer it unless nobody is watching me. So I have decided to take this week off and remove my mind from the pressure. Could it be that it is a mental block for you, as well?

IHaveEGA843
04-08-11, 05:53 AM
It could be caused by you mounting stress about your shipping date. Try to free your mind and just run. If you feel you're running slow speed up.

Tbrown10
04-08-11, 06:48 AM
yea you just gotta push..when you feel your legsburn push even harder..its easier said than done but it works

holey336
04-08-11, 11:37 AM
yea i do get nervous but i havent taken the real test just running durring pt and on my own, i do psyche myself out at first, get nervous that i wont make time, and my heart races which makes me get winded a little faster than usuall, but i dont think it affects me that much, i just think im not fast enough. when i started running when i signed my contract back in dec. was the first time i started running as a workout ( more then just running around in the park playing as a kid) i do feel myself going to slow and push as hard as i can, most of the times i almost collapse at the end but i need to push harder, i let my recruiter know and he's suppose to come get me later today for some good pt

achilles097
04-08-11, 12:52 PM
i try to mix it up as much as i can, not so much workout to workout but every 2-3 weeks ill switch it up. i think its a little of both my endurance has improved dramitically but i tend to slow down after that first mile, so its probably speed. the speed i can maintain isnt fast enough i guess. i get this tightness in my lower legs/ ankles that slows me down no matter how hard i push and then i get winded for pushing too hard. ive also been working on leg strength, finally got over shin pain but cant make time

Be sure to properly stretch if its tightness. Don't run everyday if you are in pain, give your body a day off and recuperate. Since it's speed...I would look at your pacing. If you are running FAST that first mile, then you are only burning yourself out the last stretch. Pacing yourself is important. Run outside your comfort zone at a consistent pace, but not fast enough where you'll burn out quick. A good rule of thumb is running to the point that you can talk out loud comfortably. I'm not saying don't run fast at all, but be at a good pace and work yourself up to that point where you can run that 1st mile faster and for a longer distance.

Many runners get into a rut and can add miles but not speed. Intervals help, but if only done on occasion and you continue with slow running , you will tend to run slow. You need to WORK through it and I honestly believe the first thing stopping you is your own mentality. "Pushing hard" is a relative term, one person's opinion of pushing hard could be working out until failure/puke, and another would be just getting by, MAYBE working a little harder outside of the comfort zone.

I was never a X-Country runner, hell I was the worst goddang runner all my life...worst posture while running...flat feet... no endurance...but I corrected myself over the years, and even more than I have ever done in my life in 2 months...I'm not telling you this to stroke my ego, but to let you know it's POSSIBLE. I was running a 12:15 1.5 mile only 2 months ago when I took my first IST, and now I am a running 9:48 1.5 mile and working to keeping that pace for the 3 mile. What works for me, will not always for you..I suggest looking at more programs as well and seeing what can work well for you.

Good luck.

IHaveEGA843
04-08-11, 02:34 PM
^^^^Same here but really its good to pace yourself when you run by yourself but if you can find someone who runs a good time and keep pace with them it will help you.

Try hitting the treadmill for awhile and throw the speed up there and sprint it as long as you can before you lower the speed. Try to breath better......in your nose out your mouth as slow as you can. When you run the IST with others I find it to be easier to run with someone who is a little slower then you BUT passes the IST with a good time.

Most of its mental because I have the problem of begining to feel tired when I see the end. Its just some type of mind **** that I have and it does hurt me because I want to quit but I make myself finish.

Mind over matter.....push it out and just do it.

fknsinclair
04-08-11, 06:30 PM
Right there with you guys fellow poolees. Remember resting is important too so make sure you rest so you have time to build up your muscles and legs.

holey336
04-08-11, 07:48 PM
thanks for all your helps guys, i think im going to try sprinting for as long as i can, and someone at my recruiting office noticed my posture wavered not too long after starting so i need to watch that, but he was saying i should run everyday, which i honestly think i need. maybe i can take a break every 5 or 6 days. running every other day hasn't seemed to do it for me yet so ill see how that goes.

Honcho1010
04-08-11, 08:16 PM
Dude I'm on day 5 now, taking a day off then back at it. I really feel progress. Just run dude. More everyday.

holey336
04-09-11, 05:01 PM
i pushed all out on my run today, made the first mile in 6:30-6:40 (cant remember) Google maps said it was a mile but this other map program said it was about a block short, if that true then my mile time would prob b around 7:20 which is slightly better than i thought, i just need to keep pushing at least this hard if not harder and i should hopefully have no issues on the ist. this was a pretty nice boost in confidence but i know i still got a ways to go. im taking tomorrow off but Monday starts a non stop week of running focused training

IHaveEGA843
04-09-11, 05:13 PM
Don't burn yourself out but train hard when you do.

Rest has a big part of the training spectrum. If I work out while being tired I won't last nearly as long and will begin feeling hurt in just half a mile. If I have atleast 5-6 hrs of sleep and I hit the streets or treadmill I won't even feel the hurt.

Rest, eat right, train hard, hyrdrate.

holey336
04-09-11, 07:25 PM
yea i was thinking of dedicating a day to running only, usually ill do what ever calisthenics n weight training i have for the day and do the run after which i think is helpful because when i feel fresh hopefully ill run better

C_Squash_D
04-10-11, 07:24 PM
Try to run long distance. I once ran 12 miles and thought about giving up after 8 miles, but a good friend caught up with me and literally pushed me to the finish line. I told him I can't breathe, I told him I just cant do it anymore, but he still pushed me. At the end of the day I was one sore &#%!^!^& but after that I never had to walk again in ANY run and it improved my running a lot. Now I run 5Ks to improve my time. I'm sprinting for about 2 minutes 1/2 way through the 5K, then I sprint the last 300 meters. I improved my 5K by 3 minutes in less than a month.

holey336
04-11-11, 01:01 AM
wow, most i've run was 5 miles straight, idk if i could run intensly enough through a really long run for it to work well, i think id just end up injured. like right now im getting a pain in the front of my ankles whenever i flex my feet up or down, hope its gone by tomorrow so it dosent hinder my run.

USMC Infantry
04-11-11, 12:17 PM
For some reason my Mile and a half time was 11:30 (or something) when I dep'd in and then I joined the Varsity swim team and can run a minute faster now..