PDA

View Full Version : It's not an easy job

USNAviator
04-07-11, 10:39 AM
A friend sent this. Might cause those who are prone to sea sickness some discomfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

ARTYPIG
04-07-11, 12:17 PM
Well, I don't think I'd want to be a pilot doing that. I remember in the North Atlantic on the USS Saginaw. It made this boat look like it was in calm seas. That was the first time we were ORDERED to get in our racks and stay there. It was also the only time I ever got sea sick on the 7 boats I was on.

AAV Crewchief
04-07-11, 01:42 PM
I only barfed once on an LST. It was after eating some greasy spaghetti from the mess hall. I loved sleeping on those ships because the rocking always made it easy to fall asleep.

Zulu 36
04-07-11, 02:37 PM
I'll bet you enjoyed recovering on a pitching deck. NOT!

I liked that one comment though, "...then I'll go find someplace to have an aneurism."

USNAviator
04-07-11, 03:36 PM
I'll bet you enjoyed recovering on a pitching deck. NOT!

I liked that one comment though, "...then I'll go find someplace to have an aneurism."

Chris, night traps were the worst. Even in a dead calm sea. At night you lose quite a bit of your depth perception.

Mongoose
04-07-11, 04:35 PM
Chris, night traps were the worst. Even in a dead calm sea. At night you lose quite a bit of your depth perception.
Dan, the same thing used to happen to me with to much Miller Lite.

Zulu 36
04-07-11, 05:04 PM

I can only imagine. I know how difficult it was driving at night with NVGs on and with only star light, no moon. In Desert Storm, during a full moon, it was actually much easier to drive without NVGs.

Watching that video with the pilots trying to trap at night on a pitching deck, I was thinking that if one could see their landing scoreboard, I'd bet a large number of those bolters/waveoffs were done by pilots with really good trap scores. Hence the reason that squadron commander pulled the inexperience pilot out of the tanker and flew it himself even though he didn't really want to. Good officer.

I read someplace that during the Vietnam War, scientists wired up Navy pilots to measure heart rate, BP, etc, during combat flights. While everything went up as expected during bomb runs, SAM launches, etc, the measurements hit the pegs when the same pilots recovered at night, and even more so at night on pitching decks. Combat was much less scary.

USNAviator
04-07-11, 05:28 PM
I can only imagine. I know how difficult it was driving at night with NVGs on and with only star light, no moon. In Desert Storm, during a full moon, it was actually much easier to drive without NVGs.

Watching that video with the pilots trying to trap at night on a pitching deck, I was thinking that if one could see their landing scoreboard, I'd bet a large number of those bolters/waveoffs were done by pilots with really good trap scores. Hence the reason that squadron commander pulled the inexperience pilot out of the tanker and flew it himself even though he didn't really want to. Good officer.

I read someplace that during the Vietnam War, scientists wired up Navy pilots to measure heart rate, BP, etc, during combat flights. While everything went up as expected during bomb runs, SAM launches, etc, the measurements hit the pegs when the same pilots recovered at night, and even more so at night on pitching decks. Combat was much less scary.

Chris as I'm sure you know everyone had a call sign. We had a Lt Cmdr. who I'm sure was a damn good aviator but he lost his self confidence for night traps. He's tried to get the sunset hops and fudge them a night hops. We were required to make a certain amount of night traps per month

Anyway, it got to the point where he's tell the duty officer "remember no nights for me this week" This kept up week after week and of course someone else had to go in his place

When the CO and XO heard about it they changed his call sign to "No Nights" He later turned in his wings and friggin retired as an O-8, go figure

USNAviator
04-07-11, 05:33 PM
Dan, the same thing used to happen to me with to much Miller Lite.

Billy, when you went on the wagon I sold my Miller's stock..........:D

VictoryttBold
04-07-11, 08:43 PM
:iwo:I remember watching this documentary at my parent's home w/ my Dad, who was a Naval Officer. My Dad's comment about the pitching deck was, "that's nothing compared to what I've seen." Navy guys talking trash, ha ha ha ha ha !

USNAviator
04-07-11, 09:00 PM
:iwo:I remember watching this documentary at my parent's home w/ my Dad, who was a Naval Officer. My Dad's comment about the pitching deck was, "that's nothing compared to what I've seen." Navy guys talking trash, ha ha ha ha ha !

VB, I take it your Dad was on some sort of garbage scow??? Perhaps a Cruiser or Destroyer?

Did not know you are the product of a Naval Officer, what little respect I held for you has now been raised to a tolerance level.........:D

VictoryttBold
04-07-11, 09:11 PM
:iwo:He was on something way more glamorous, a refueler.

USNAviator
04-07-11, 09:28 PM
:iwo:He was on something way more glamorous, a refueler.

Then I have the utmost respect for him. He actually did something useful in the Navy unlike so many others

VB if he's still with us wish him Fair Winds and Following Seas please and thank him for his service and thank him for at least two off spring who served our country, you VB and your brother. You know, I suspected you had a good side to you........:banana:

VictoryttBold
04-07-11, 09:30 PM
:iwo:Don't start spreading rumors like that.

USNAviator
04-07-11, 09:36 PM
:iwo:Don't start spreading rumors like that.

Sorry... you worthless POS!!!!......;)

VictoryttBold
04-07-11, 09:41 PM
:iwo:Wasn't looking for that, but then again what can you expect from a squid ? (rhetorical)

USNAviator
04-07-11, 09:44 PM
:iwo:Wasn't looking for that, but then again what can you expect from a squid ? (rhetorical)

No answer, rhetorical understood!!!

silverdollar
04-08-11, 06:43 AM
I would like to try that if they would give me a couple of hours to practice.:scared: