PDA

View Full Version : Naval Aviator's

Old Marine
04-06-11, 07:43 PM
Just heard on the news that two Naval Aviator's from NAS Lemore crashed around 12:30 today. The remains have been recovered. RIP

USNAviator
04-06-11, 07:59 PM
Just heard on the news that two Naval Aviator's from NAS Lemore crashed around 12:30 today. The remains have been recovered. RIP

Thank you for posting that Gunny

"Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
Through the great spaces of the sky.
Be with them always in the air,
In darkening storms or sunlight fair
Oh hear us when we lift our prayer
For those in peril in the air. "

Rest in Peace, you've reached out and touched the face of God, now you will be with Him forever

Dan

ecfree
04-06-11, 08:04 PM
Thank you for posting that Gunny

"Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
Through the great spaces of the sky.
Be with them always in the air,
In darkening storms or sunlight fair
Oh hear us when we lift our prayer
For those in peril in the air. "

Rest in Peace, you've reached out and touched the face of God, now you will be with Him forever

Dan
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TunTvrnWarrior
04-06-11, 08:07 PM
DAVID CASTELLON (dcastell@visalia.gannett.com)
dcastell@visalia.gannett.com

<LI class=ody-filed>Filed Under
Frontpage (http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/section/FRONTPAGE)
http://cmsimg.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J4&Date=20110406&Category=FRONTPAGE&ArtNo=110406009&Ref=V1&MaxW=300&Border=0 Zoom (javascript:void(null);)

<SCRIPT>/*Collecte Image Information*/(function(){ var _id = 'V1'; if(_id) GEL.thepage.pageinfo.pic[_id]= { id: "J4-110406009-V1-L", link: "http://cmsimg.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J4&Date=20110406&Category=FRONTPAGE&ArtNo=110406009&Ref=V1", caption: "", credit: "", canBuyPhoto: "", width: "800", height: "482" };})();</SCRIPT><!--Main fact box-->Statement from press conference

Staff reports

Below is the text of three-minute statement made by the commanding officer of Naval Air Station Lemoore following Wednesday’s crash. He did not take questions from the press.

Good afternoon, I’m Capt. James Knapp ... I’m the commanding officer of Naval Air Station, Lemoore, Calif.

[At] approximately 12:08 local, Pacific Standard Time this afternoon, an F-18 foxtrot model aircraft assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 122, which is the fleet replacement squadron located at Naval Air Station Lemoore, aircraft went down, and crashed, approximately one half mile to the west of Naval Air Station Lemoore’s property line, on private property, a farm in Fresno County.

The F-18 F model is a two-seat Strike Fighter made by Boeing aircraft company. It’s the newest Strike Fighter in the Navy’s inventory. It’s flown, again, by a crew of two, a pilot and a weapon system operator.

The cause of the mishap is under investigation. I can say there was no damage at the crash site to civilian property or personnel.
However, I can confirm that there were two fatalities. The pilot and the weapon system operator attached to Strike Fighter Squadron 122 perished in the mishap.

Names will not be released until the notification of next of kin has been completed.

The aircraft was a single-aircraft mission on a routine training flight originating from Naval Air Station Lemoore and ending at Naval Air Station Lemoore.

Over the course of the next month, safety investigators from the Naval Safety Center and Strike Fighter Squadron 122 will conduct an investigation of the mishap site and the components that they are able to recover from the mishap crash site to determine the cause of the mishap and make recommendations to higher headquarters in the Navy on how to prevent future mishaps.

That’s all I have at this time. I thank you very much for your patience. I ask that you have your thoughts and prayers for the family, the friends and shipmates of these two fine Naval officers and that you remember that they represent the very best of this nation. Thank you very much.

<!-- pagination on --><!--
TOTAL ELEMENTS IN ARRAY: 10
TOTAL CHARACTERS IN ARRAY: 992
TOTAL CHARACTERS IN PAGES:
LAST PAGE CONTAINS: 992
--><!--Saxotech Paragraph Count: 2
-->A Navy fighter jet crashed this afternoon on a farm near Naval Air Station Lemoore, killing two people aboard, Navy officials report.
A two-seat F/A-18F Super Hornet was on a training flight when it went down at 12:08 p.m. about a half mile west of the base, just across the Fresno County border according to county sheriff's and Navy officials.

Cmdr. Pauline Storum, a spokeswoman for Naval Air Forces in Coronado, said this afternoon that she hadn't been told whether the plot radioed before the crash that the aircraft was in trouble or if attempts were made by the two people in the fighter to eject before the crash.

The plane went down in a vacant field, and Navy officials reported that nobody on the ground was injured.

Navy Capt. James Knapp said a pilot and weapons officer were on a routine training flight when the plane went down. He added that the names of names of the aviators killed wouldn't be disclosed until their next of kin are notified.

Read more in tomorrow's Times-Delta.

<SCRIPT> (function(){ GEL.register("widget.PaginationWidget", { type: "script", depends: ["widget"], requires: ["util.Selector"], path: "widgets/pagination/paginationController.js" }); GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "pagination", callback: initPaginator, namespace: ["widget.GELTabs", "widget.AdBanner", "anim.YUIAnimator", "analytics","widget.PaginationWidget"], priority: 110 }); function initPaginator(){ GEL.thepage.artpg= new GEL.widget.GELTabs("artpagination", { changeEvent: "click", viewtrackevent: "paneChange", wrap: false, scrollAnchor: document.body, autoRotate:false, positionBanners: true, activeIndex:0 }); GEL.thepage.artpg.init(); GEL.thepage.artpgController = new GEL.widget.artPagination("artpagination"); GEL.thepage.artpgController.init(); }})(); </SCRIPT>

USNAviator
04-06-11, 08:16 PM
Thanks Mike for the update. I feel so sad for their families

TunTvrnWarrior
04-06-11, 08:20 PM
Dan, I believe my brother worked flightline for VA-27 out of Lemore and did a couple of pumps on the USS Carl Vinson.

Phantom Blooper
04-06-11, 08:23 PM
RIP!

Good job Dan.....

USNAviator
04-06-11, 08:35 PM
Dan, I believe my brother worked flightline for VA-27 out of Lemore and did a couple of pumps on the USS Carl Vinson.

Mike, the Vinson has always been a Pacific based carrier but I do know she's a Nimitz Class CVN

I've heard of the Royal Maces (VA-27) but don't much about their operational history

USNAviator
04-06-11, 08:36 PM
RIP!

Good job Dan.....

Thanks Chuck!!!

hbharrison
04-06-11, 08:37 PM
My last duty station was NAS Lemoore Marine Barracks.

R.I.P. Fair Winds and Following Seas

TunTvrnWarrior
04-06-11, 08:41 PM
Mike, the Vinson has always been a Pacific based carrier but I do know she's a Nimitz Class CVN

I've heard of the Royal Maces (VA-27) but don't much about their operational history

Rob turned wrenches on the A7, I believe. He also launched and recovered them.

SGT7477
04-06-11, 08:47 PM
RIP, Semper Fidelis.

USNAviator
04-06-11, 09:14 PM
Rob turned wrenches on the A7, I believe. He also launched and recovered them.

Mike your brother had one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, to be on a flight deck launching/recovering aircraft. More power to him. :thumbup:

TunTvrnWarrior
04-06-11, 09:22 PM
Mike your brother had one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, to be on a flight deck launching/recovering aircraft. More power to him. :thumbup:

I saw a training video when I went to the wing where a sailor got sucked up into the intake. It chewed up his helmet because they were able to shut it down in time. He was shown later with bandages and a sling. I worked around turboprops and I had a healthy respect for them. It always scared the crap out of me when I got complacent around them even when the aircraft was not turned on.

USNAviator
04-06-11, 09:36 PM
I saw a training video when I went to the wing where a sailor got sucked up into the intake. It chewed up his helmet because they were able to shut it down in time. He was shown later with bandages and a sling. I worked around turboprops and I had a healthy respect for them. It always scared the crap out of me when I got complacent around them even when the aircraft was not turned on.

Mike in my 20 years I saw it happen twice, both individual did not survive unfortunately. When you're walking around a flight deck while engines are spooling up you damn well better be aware of your situation.

Fair winds Mike!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
04-07-11, 12:57 AM
Dang. A dangerous business.

hbharrison
04-07-11, 06:12 AM
I remember while at Lemoore it was not uncommon to see one or two accidents a month there. It is a training base and some of the new aviators don't get it right every time.

hillbillyjar
04-07-11, 06:42 AM
I'd have missed it. Thank you for the info.

God bless air support.

Rest in peace brothers.