PDA

View Full Version : What about the Marines in WWII?

Sterling Mace
04-06-11, 02:29 PM
Marines...

I'm not one to bellyache much, but if you've been living with this - as I have - for 66 years, it begins to ache a little in your heart of hearts.

A well meaning kid (from the philippines of all places) sent me a message on my face book today asking me if I knew a Richard Winters. I don't know who he was talking about, and I said as much...so I asked him who this guy is. The kid replied that this fellow was an Army guy, a paratrooper in Easy Company.

So, it dawns on me, this kid is talking about somebody who served in Europe. Okay, fine, kid. So, I informed him that I was in the Pacific, fighting the Japanese. He seemed a little disappointed by this.

Now, when I came home from the war the same older knuckleheads who used to stand on the street corners were still standing there, but this time in their Army uniforms, having returned from n. Africa, Italy, France, etc. I came waltzing up in my Marine uniform, and everyone asked me where I had been. I told them about Peleliu and they didn't know what I was talking about. They had barely heard of Okinawa.

It hurt. I went home and took off my uniform and made a vow that if somebody didn't ask me, I sure as hell wouldn't talk about what I did over there. In 1946 I went to the very first 1st Marine reunion in New York, and I didn't know anybody without their dirty faces, salty dungarees and cracked lips. I never went to another reunion until 2006.

To this day the war in Europe still overshadows what we did on those crappy little islands. I've never been a very prideful man, but dammit, one of these days I hope we get what's coming to us.

Even with that TV show that came out about the Pacific...people still don't talk about the Marines. What happend to the Marines in WWII?

Semper Fi
Sterling G. Mace

advanced
04-06-11, 02:50 PM
Sterling - I believe it is safe for me to say that you have the respect of every Marine, poolee, and squid on this website. It is my sincere desire that that means something to you.

Semper Fi Marine.

P.S. They treated those of us who served in Vietnam like criminals when we came home. I took my uniform the night I came home and not until 40 years later, when I found this site, I never talked about my war. I think you'll like it here, if you would like to tell some of your stories you'll have an attentive audience. Thank you again for your service Sir and being the Marine we all attempted to be.

DrZ
04-06-11, 02:55 PM
Sterling,
I must echo Advanced feelings. My Dad was an Iwo Marine. He was two years your junior and I lost him several years ago. You, my Dad, and your fellow Marines have always been my heroes and I would be proud to shake your hand...and if I could wedge my old butt in my uniform...I would be in the long line of Marines waiting to render you a proper salute.

Welcome home Marine... Job well done!

Mongoose
04-06-11, 03:06 PM
Sterling, I really cant answer that. I would venture to say the Army had all the popular faces. Eisenhower, Patton, and Bradley. Not to mention Britains Monty. One thing though. No matter where you served in WW2, you was welcomed home. You have what I sought to achieve. Respect among my brothers.

Sterling Mace
04-06-11, 03:46 PM
Gentlemen, thank you. Perhaps I should thump my chest in an Army site. haha. No, this just got my dander up a little bit.

Of course there were so few of us compared to those guys in the Army (this was before the "few, the proud, the Marines); the only guys from the old block that joined the Marines was me, Tommy Collona, and George McNevin. It seems that all the Italians joined the Army or got drafted.

That's a good answer about those famous names, Mongoose.

Otherwise, do you think it was because we were so few? Though I tell you, how anyone could miss all of those Navy boys dying in the Pacific, I don't know.

And do you think because they made that TV show about the Pacific so Hollywood that people missed the point?

Sterling G. Mace

USNAviator
04-06-11, 04:03 PM
Sterling if don't mind hearing from a Squid who teaches history, the over whelming press coverage went to the ETO during WW2. As did the commitment of manpower generally accepted to be 70-30%. Some of the greatest writers, cartoonist of the war came out of the ETO, Ernie Pyle, Bill Mauldin etc

Another reason, most American are of European stock not Asian. They knew where London, Berlin and Paris were located. Most had never heard of Guadalcanal, Makin and Iwo etc.

Also remember many considered the PTO a Navy war. The lion share of the press went to coverage of Battle of Midway etc and don't forget the press hog Dugout Doug

The Marines were a Corps, an elite fighting force. While virtually everyone could get into the Army, very few made it into the Marines

WW2 was the first real aerial war. I'm sure you remember how lionized pilots were during that time frame. Most of the glamorous pilots flew for the Air Corps in both theaters

I can't explain why you were essentially ignored when you came home. That was a travesty. But also remember the Marines had bad press from groups such as the DAR who wanted to put any returning Marine into rehabilitation camps so you could get readjusted back into society. Thank God those elite b$tches were overruled

Sorry to go on here but how many movies have been made since 1941 regarding the Corps and the PTO in general? Probably a ratio 10:1. ETO-PTO. The Corps has been over looked by many facets of society, other than the Marines themselves and the brothers they fought along side of.

As my three friends mentioned above, we all have the utmost respect and honor for what you and your generation did during WW2.

Fair winds and following seas to you sir

Dan

EGTSpec
04-06-11, 04:20 PM
Basalone, Hayes, and E.B. Sledge (all USMC WWII Pacific) come to mind, along with the Iwo memorial. Don't let some dufus who can't tell the difference between "Band of Brothers" (Dick Wnters) 101st Airborne, and "The pacific" John Basalone, Ira Hayes (Flags of our Fathers), and Sledge, USMC make you feel any less appreciated. Anyone who really knows or cares, knows the sacrifice you made. That goes for every other war/conflict Vet whether it be Viet Nam, Korea, Granada, or any number of times Marines were called upon to do their job. You and all Combat Vets will always hold a special place of respect with us who know. Semper Fi

USNAviator
04-06-11, 04:28 PM
A slightly different viewpoint.
I would be willing to bet that there isn't one American over a certain age who hasn't heard of Iwo Jima.
How many of those same folks have heard of Salerno, Anzio, Monte Cassino, San Pietro, the Rapido River?
Not many.
Iwo Jima is much more well-known than those locations where the 36th (Texas) Division fought in World War II.
One kid on a forum who doesn't know Army from Marines---I don't know if that's representative of what Americans know about WWII.
I have never heard any of the above-mentioned Italian Campaigns battles mentioned by anyone. But Iwo Jima is a household word(s).

Agree Dave but I think what made it a household word was Rosenthal.s photo. That photo was on the cover of virtually every newspaper 2 days after it was taken.

USNAviator
04-06-11, 04:43 PM
Above all----maybe one kid on a forum doesn't know any better, but to the average American, I think what the Corps did in the Pacific is just as remembered as what the Army did in Europe. Certainly it was just as important. And I think people know that.

Having said that, who outside the Corps has heard of Bougainville?
But who has heard of Monte Cassino either?

Keep in mind that we're talking about one individual on a forum who did not know his history.

Sorry Sterling don't mean to hijack your thread. Dave and I can tend to do that.....lol

Dave ask your average college educated 25 yo who were our allies in WW2 and I'll bet he or she can't tell you the correct answer. BTW that is on the US Citizenship test

Last one from me on this topic Zoomie....:D

Sterling Mace
04-06-11, 04:48 PM
A slightly different viewpoint.
I would be willing to bet that there isn't one American over a certain age who hasn't heard of Iwo Jima.
How many of those same folks have heard of Salerno, Anzio, Monte Cassino, San Pietro, the Rapido River?
Not many.
Iwo Jima is much more well-known than those locations where the 36th (Texas) Division fought in World War II.
One kid on a forum who doesn't know Army from Marines---I don't know if that's representative of what Americans know about WWII.
I have never heard (recently) any of the above-mentioned Italian Campaign battles mentioned by anyone. But Iwo Jima is a household word(s).

It wasn't about what the kid said that bugged me. It was everything that I've experienced since the war. The other day there was all this talk on the face book about this guy Shifty Power's book, fighting in Europe.

Now, I'm not knocking anyone who fought in Europe. They did their part like I did mine.

I'll tell you what might be a little telling. Or maybe not. When we were on Okinawa, and they told us the war was over in Europe, the first thing out of Junior Hudson's mouth was, "Hey, maybe we can get the Germans to come help us now, huh?"

For what it's worth (and though we knew it was only half a joke), we all pretty much agreed it wasn't a bad idea.

Sterling G. Mace

EGTSpec
04-06-11, 05:01 PM
It wasn't about what the kid said that bugged me. It was everything that I've experienced since the war. The other day there was all this talk on the face book about this guy Shifty Power's book, fighting in Europe.

Now, I'm not knocking anyone who fought in Europe. They did their part like I did mine.

I'll tell you what might be a little telling. Or maybe not. When we were on Okinawa, and they told us the war was over in Europe, the first thing out of Junior Hudson's mouth was, "Hey, maybe we can get the Germans to come help us now, huh?"

For what it's worth (and though we knew it was only half a joke), we all pretty much agreed it wasn't a bad idea.

Sterling G. MaceShifty Powers was a soldier in the 101st Airborne, and was featured in Band of Brothers. If you haven't seen "Band of Brothers" or "The Pacific" HBO series yet you need to see both. Although I did enjoy the "Band Of Brothers" series more, only because it delved more into the actual fighting the 101st did in Europe, and "The Pacific" seemed to focus more on what the individual Marine was experiencing mentally island hopping in the Pacific. Both are good docu-dramas about WWII though.

Sterling Mace
04-06-11, 05:41 PM
Shifty Powers was a soldier in the 101st Airborne, and was featured in Band of Brothers. If you haven't seen "Band of Brothers" or "The Pacific" HBO series yet you need to see both. Although I did enjoy the "Band Of Brothers" series more, only because it delved more into the actual fighting the 101st did in Europe, and "The Pacific" seemed to focus more on what the individual Marine was experiencing mentally island hopping in the Pacific. Both are good docu-dramas about WWII though.

I've seen a little bit of the Band of Brothers and I was invited to the red carpet premier of the Pacific in New Orleans. I've seen that one too.

The Pacific, while well meaning, was quite a bunch of Hollywood. My daughter says I should post this. I think I was misquoted once or twice, but that's okay...sometimes I don't make sense.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/article1079385.ece

I hope you can read this thing.

Sterling G. Mace

Sterling Mace
04-06-11, 05:43 PM
By the way, when is your book coming out, any date yet for 2011??

Dave,
It goes to press in July I believe, which should mean about 6 months later. At least that's what they're telling me. I can't wait too much longer though or I'll die. hahaha.

Sterling G. Mace

USNAviator
04-06-11, 05:55 PM
I've seen a little bit of the Band of Brothers and I was invited to the red carpet premier of the Pacific in New Orleans. I've seen that one too.

The Pacific, while well meaning, was quite a bunch of Hollywood. My daughter says I should post this. I think I was misquoted once or twice, but that's okay...sometimes I don't make sense.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/article1079385.ece

Sterling thank you for sharing that interview. Unfortunately, truth doesn't sell all that well in Hollywood

03Foxtrot
04-06-11, 06:11 PM
Mr. Mace,
I also want to offer my gratitude and admiration for your service to our country as a U.S. Marine, fighting in the Pacific in WW II. My Dad was one of you, fighting on Iwo Jima at the young age of only 16. He always said that America was too caught up in the victory in Europe celebrations and the public perception that the real war was about Europe, not the Pacific. The great distance from America and the horrific casualties on small unknown islands, that for a long time was kept from the public, all of this contributed to a lack of interest by many Americans. I too think that the recent series was too politicized by the producers who strayed away from the formula used in Band of Brothers. I look forward to your book being published and plan on reading it.
Semper Fi, Scott

EGTSpec
04-06-11, 06:21 PM
Interesting perspective on the movie. Thanks for sharing. Only those who were there can know what it was really like.

Sterling Mace
04-06-11, 07:14 PM
Mr. Mace,
I also want to offer my gratitude and admiration for your service to our country as a U.S. Marine, fighting in the Pacific in WW II. My Dad was one of you, fighting on Iwo Jima at the young age of only 16. He always said that America was too caught up in the victory in Europe celebrations and the public perception that the real war was about Europe, not the Pacific. The great distance from America and the horrific casualties on small unknown islands, that for a long time was kept from the public, all of this contributed to a lack of interest by many Americans. I too think that the recent series was too politicized by the producers who strayed away from the formula used in Band of Brothers. I look forward to your book being published and plan on reading it.
Semper Fi, Scott

Scott, I don't know too much about films, but from what I understand this Band of Brothers spent a lot of time with the men who actually served, while the one of the Pacific didn't speak to any of the living Marines...and there are quite a few of us, too! That might be a formula you are refering to.

But the Pacific was an entertaining film. A fella can't knock that. But the record can be set straight.

Speaking of "setting the record straight if you read the acknowledgments in the front of Sledge's book, you'll see my name as well as Jim McEnery, Billy Leyden, and Tex Barrow...all of us riflemen, whom Sledge drew stories for his book. We were glad to help a K/3/5 buddy.

Yes, I was misquoted a little. When I said "too much machinegun fire and mortars," I was refering to the film showing Sledge's wave coming in after the first wave (mine). If they were shooting those 50 calibers on the amtrac like that, into the mangrove, they would have been shooting us right in the backs, because we were already into the foliage.

That thing about "can my mother join the mortars." Well, that wasn't what we said to all the mortarmen....that's what was said to one in particular.

But yes, that Peleliu and Okinawa was some rought duty, let me tell you.

And guys, I appreciate all the kind words, but I'm just a Marine like all of you. There's nothing special about me just because I was born earlier and put into the circumstances I was in. The only thing I can say that's different from you and me, however (and you can ask Ray Merrell), is that the Great Depression really helped prepare us for what was going to happen to us at the end of a rifle.

Sterling G. Mace

SGT7477
04-06-11, 08:55 PM
Marines...

I'm not one to bellyache much, but if you've been living with this - as I have - for 66 years, it begins to ache a little in your heart of hearts.

A well meaning kid (from the philippines of all places) sent me a message on my face book today asking me if I knew a Richard Winters. I don't know who he was talking about, and I said as much...so I asked him who this guy is. The kid replied that this fellow was an Army guy, a paratrooper in Easy Company.

So, it dawns on me, this kid is talking about somebody who served in Europe. Okay, fine, kid. So, I informed him that I was in the Pacific, fighting the Japanese. He seemed a little disappointed by this.

Now, when I came home from the war the same older knuckleheads who used to stand on the street corners were still standing there, but this time in their Army uniforms, having returned from n. Africa, Italy, France, etc. I came waltzing up in my Marine uniform, and everyone asked me where I had been. I told them about Peleliu and they didn't know what I was talking about. They had barely heard of Okinawa.

It hurt. I went home and took off my uniform and made a vow that if somebody didn't ask me, I sure as hell wouldn't talk about what I did over there. In 1946 I went to the very first 1st Marine reunion in New York, and I didn't know anybody without their dirty faces, salty dungarees and cracked lips. I never went to another reunion until 2006.

To this day the war in Europe still overshadows what we did on those crappy little islands. I've never been a very prideful man, but dammit, one of these days I hope we get what's coming to us.

Even with that TV show that came out about the Pacific...people still don't talk about the Marines. What happend to the Marines in WWII?

Semper Fi
Sterling G. Mace
Job well done Brother, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

EGTSpec
04-06-11, 09:14 PM
The Greatest Generation, so named for a very good reason :)You said it Brother. :thumbup:

m14ed
04-07-11, 05:12 AM
Welcome to the site MARINE
SemperFidelis and Welcome Aboard!

I wish you had been here to chat with HobartCobb one
of the many Marines who have paused to share our company
here in leatherneck dot com.
He was one of the fine Marines who also served in the
Pacific, and also did Peleliu .

( http://www.lafollettepress.com/frontpage/marine.html )
click this link from the past

Part of the MarineCorps history he served and some of the events there are in that link taken before he passed a number of years back.
Many of us here also served active duty, even combat duty with Marines who served in WW2 and Korea. Some of us grew up also with them as school teachers
before we entered the Corps. And had many of them as Neighbors and examples of
leadership and CitizenShip as we matured before having become Marines.
Many of us grew up having seen War movies as children and never knew there were mistakes in them, or Libretys of truth taken for telling the story.
There weren't as many veterans of my era as yours. Many of us will agree that
perhaps WW2 was the last time the American Military was given the mission of winning
a conflict.
The American public gave also short shift to the returning Korea Veterans who also deserved better for their service to America.
I'm very proud to have served in Vietnam as a U.S.Marine and humbled by some of the Marines i served with while there. Should I tell you of the bitterness i held for the general American Public for the dis-respect we saw when we returned home ?

I understood the political message in Johnwaynes "TheGreenBerets" .
And laughed inside for some of the Techincal Mistakes too.
Aside from the first half of FullMetalJacket that i thought was a pretty accurate portrail of MarineCorps boot camp, i dont recall anything much worth watching film wise of anything i saw in Vietnam.

The American public now at least seems content with the "PROFESSIONAL MILITARY", but i feel un-comfortable about it. I just cant describe it. I hope you understand my lack of being able to express my feelings, words fail me.

SemperFidelis Marines
Welcome Home Brothers

hillbillyjar
04-07-11, 05:38 AM
Sterling.

It's not much of a nod in the right direction, but... Most of the current game programmers are grandchildren of WW2 Vets, and "Medal of Honor - Rising Sun" is ALL about Marines in the Pacific war.

My Father was one of those Europe Army Vets. He all but disowned me when I joined the Marines.

Popular culture shows, the grandkids actually do care about what you did. They show it in their way.

Semper Fi Marine.

m14ed
04-07-11, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the site MARINE
SemperFidelis and Welcome Aboard!

I wish you had been here to chat with HobartCobb one
of the many Marines who have paused to share our company
here in leatherneck dot com.
He was one of the fine Marines who also served in the
Pacific, and also did Peleliu .

( http://www.lafollettepress.com/frontpage/marine.html )
click this link from the past

SemperFidelis Marines
Welcome Home Brothers

Sorry Brothers, that link seems to have gone to a blank page
so i'll post a link here to leatherneck for those interested
in reference to Hobart Cobb.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7576

Sorry about that

USNAviator
04-07-11, 06:50 AM
Sorry Brothers, that link seems to have gone to a blank page
so i'll post a link here to leatherneck for those interested
in reference to Hobart Cobb.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7576

Sorry about that

Ed I couldn't get that link to work. But I did find another on here that seems OK

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7576.html

Thanks for telling us about Mr Cobb

m14ed
04-07-11, 10:50 AM
The irony here ,,,,they may well have known each other.
or at least had friends in common .
Sure would have been ahellofa story and would have liked to
have been a fly on the wall listening to these Salts .
Seems Hobart Cobb also went on to Oki.

Cobb also had a daughter who joined in the chat on occasion
back on THEFEW
Her tag if i remember was "CobbsBrat"

Sterling Mace
04-07-11, 04:25 PM
Ed I couldn't get that link to work. But I did find another on here that seems OK

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7576.html

Thanks for telling us about Mr Cobb

This was a very good read. Thank you. The 1st Marines were done as a fighting unit very early on Peleliu. It's sad really.

Sterling G. Mace

crazymjb
04-08-11, 08:13 AM
Regardless of how much people "know" about the Pacific, we know you guys saved the U.S. from the enemy that attacked us, and posed the greatest threat to us, directly, and Marines forever will continue to share to the best of our ability your story and your importance. I know at least in my family everyone is familiar with the Pacific campaign, and not from first hand experience but from education, so it certainly isn't lost.

Kids these days are stupid in general, as they always were. Can't help every ungrateful prick learn their history. You can rest easy at night knowing you helped save the world, though, and many others know it too.

Semper Fi

Mike

ChuckH
04-08-11, 02:10 PM
Regardless of how much people "know" about the Pacific, we know you guys saved the U.S. from the enemy that attacked us, and posed the greatest threat to us, directly, and Marines forever will continue to share to the best of our ability your story and your importance. I know at least in my family everyone is familiar with the Pacific campaign, and not from first hand experience but from education, so it certainly isn't lost.

Kids these days are stupid in general, as they always were. Can't help every ungrateful prick learn their history. You can rest easy at night knowing you helped save the world, though, and many others know it too.

Semper Fi

Mike

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sterling Mace
04-08-11, 06:00 PM
Mike,
That's very interesting and it brings up something I touched upon in my book a little.

How do kids view us older vets? Honestly, I don't put much thought into whether they care or not. I know that us winning the war still has tremendous ramifications in the world today; yet I believe it took most of us a long time to see that for ourselves.

Those of us who fought Japan, Germany and Italy couldn't see much more than our current circumstances and how much combat hurt. Coming home I didn't have the feeling that we saved the world. I only had the good feeling that I was alive and that we won. Winning always feels good (and I'm a sore loser) - so having a whole nation infused with that winning feeling was a something else.

The thing is, me and most of my buddies didn't know what Japan and Germany had planned for the rest of the world, and we only had an inkling what they did to China and the Jews. So, in that regard the "big picture" could only be seen as far as I could aim my weapon.

I've killed men. Living, breathing men. And I never felt bad about it either.

On the other hand, I can stand before God and country and state in all truthfulness that I never killed a man with hate in my heart. The only hate was that I'd sure hate for this guy to kill me first!

So, if it took that long for those guys who were there to see what we really did, then those kids today probably don't have a chance. But if a person wants to learn about WWII...? Then I just think it's damned sorry for what we did in the Pacific to always play seconds to what they did in Europe.

Sterling G. Mace

DRB
04-09-11, 09:50 AM
You have my respect sir and I am well aware of what the Marines experienced during World War Two. You just happened to have the misfortune of running into people who are not well educated on World War Two. I know people who are school teachers and they did not know who we even fought during World War Two. Thank you for your service. The greatest generation!

advanced
04-09-11, 09:57 AM
You have my respect sir and I am well aware of what the Marines experienced during World War Two. You just happened to have the misfortune of running into people who are not well educated on World War Two. I know people who are school teachers and they did not know who we even fought during World War Two. Thank you for your service. The greatest generation!

Pretty sharp for an army guy.

DRB
04-09-11, 10:02 AM
Pretty sharp for an army guy.

Appreciate it. ;)

crazymjb
04-10-11, 01:50 AM
Being a reservist in college, I don't think kids give a crap enough about their past. I have noticed a pretty strong lack of nationalism, not because people are ashamed of the U.S, but because I am part of the MTV generation that doesn't actually care about what is going on in the world around them, or what their country has given them, only what celebrities are doing. It's sad, but unfortunately true.

I can only help by telling people to read certain books or up on certain material, even to watch movies and documentaries. Hopefully teachers will continue to teach our history, but if not it is a my generations responsibility to pass your story down. I know when I have kids they and their friends will never hear the end of it.

Mike

Carpshooter
04-10-11, 08:28 AM
In my part of the world , most of the guys in the Legion / VFW are members who were drafted and there are few of us inductee Marines . I know of a another one during WW2 who was an inductee Marine ( since died ) , besides myself ( Nam Vet ) .

There is little talk about the wars that we served in as there is a duty on what we can do to benefit our community today and doing other things that are what these organizations do !

Talking about our experiences is not brought up much , but I don't have to look hard to find good storiess amongest my peers there !

Even if it is about the Army / Navy / Air Force ! ;)

Sterling Mace
04-10-11, 08:53 PM
In my part of the world , most of the guys in the Legion / VFW are members who were drafted and there are few of us inductee Marines . I know of a another one during WW2 who was an inductee Marine ( since died ) , besides myself ( Nam Vet ) .

There is little talk about the wars that we served in as there is a duty on what we can do to benefit our community today and doing other things that are what these organizations do !

Talking about our experiences is not brought up much , but I don't have to look hard to find good storiess amongest my peers there !

Even if it is about the Army / Navy / Air Force ! ;)

Marine...This sort of brings back things full circle, because growing up in South Ozone Park, Queens, New York, we had a VFW hall...and it was full of drunken Great War veterans. To us kids, it was not a matter of respecting them or not - instead we wanted to stay away from them because they were scary men. They didn't look or act liek the average Joe on the streets. Sure, a few of us took some jibes at them, in their drunken state; and they turned around and gave us what's for.

To this day, I don't think anyone did right by them...even us kids. And so it goes, I never joined a veterans organization, chiefly because I remember those days. It didn't matter though. I still had my fair share of drink when I returned home.

On another note, my old eyes read your name as "crapshooter." I was thinking i'd met a kindred spirit in the art of crap games. Brother, that brings a lot of Queens memories back.

Sterling G. Mace

Captain Kirk
04-10-11, 09:40 PM
God Bless you Sterling. You are my hero. MY war was built on the back of you and the rest of our Corps. Your tactics and brave victories inspired me and encouraged me when thime were tough.

Thnak you for the service you so willingly gave.

God Bless

Doug

Fox 2/5 RVN 67-69

ACRinPA
04-10-11, 10:41 PM
Mr. Mace, I would like to say thank you and I would like to then offer a small introduction. My name is Aaron and I am a seventeen-year-old high school senior from Pennsylvania. I seek to one day join the United States Marine Corps, either as an officer or as an enlisted Marine. Perhaps both, whatever is according to the needs of the Corps and God's will.

I want to thank you, sir, for asking this question: "How do kids view us older vets?"

If you don't mind, I would like to first write for myself.

As soon as my Dad hooked up the satelite television and turned on the History Channel when I was just a little kid, I was utterly fascinated by World War II. It's hard for me to describe it now since I now have a slight understanding of the fear and terror of war, but I remember being drawn in by the combat footage of Marines running across a battered Pacific landscape with flamethrowers and some Sherman tanks in the background. I believe that it was that first television viewing that led me to where I am today. I moved on from television to books a while ago and after all of that reading, I am at the point now where I have developed a firm belief in myself, my family, and everything America stands for. I have a hunger for learning and every book I read, from General Krulak's First to Fight to even non-USMC related books, only seems to solidify my determination to become a Marine.

I believe young people like me, while still numerous, are becoming more and more rare in America today. I feel a respect for you, sir, so tremendous that it is hard for me to put it into words. I have wanted to honor what you did and what all service members still do since I was old enough to know what "honor" meant. I suspect I am in the minority of American teenagers - and even adults. I hold this view for a number of reasons: the history textbooks in many schools are horribly lacking on even the most basic facts, American popular culture has been far too vapid for far too long, and last but not least, we have fewer and fewer adult role models in the country.

It's getting late and I've struggled to articulate my feelings correctly for nearly an hour now, so I will try to end with this:

Those who know about World War II hold immense respect for everyone who served. Those who don't know are just as ignorant about many other aspects of life. I don't think they are intentionally disrespectful, they just don't know any better.

Mr. Mace, you are the first World War II veteran I've spoken to in some time. It's truly an honor to live in the same country as you and every other Marine. Thank you all and may God bless you all forever.

Sterling Mace
06-13-11, 08:07 AM
A few days ago I ran across a WWII message forum, so I decided to talk to ome of the fellas in there...and while a few seem interested in what happened in the Pacific, I was shocked to find they were more interested in some German private's war memoirs.

What's more, there is a section of their message forum where they dress up in German uniforms and take photographs of themselves. These are men in their 20s and 30s dressing up like Germans! They have the German rifles and everything.

I can't friggin believe something like this happens. The last time I checked we had thousands of American boys died at the hands of the Germans - and while nobody should hate a people for what they did 60 or 70 years ago, still, you don't friggin worship what they did, do you?

To me, this is not only an extension of how the war in Europe takes center stage...but this is taking it one step further in the wrong direction.

Or maybe I'm just a crabby old man and I don't know any better.

Sterling G. Mace

HST
06-13-11, 09:03 AM
We're all getting old. I'm not crazy about the other option.

I don't think much of the jerks who get into the nazi role playing either. They murdered millions of innocent people and sure don't deserve any praise.

Good luck with your book. If it's a success maybe you can take a trip back to the islands and look around. I've read that a lot of guys are doing that now. A lot of Nam guys are going back too. I thhought about it but passed when I heard there's still a lot of live ordinance laying around. I'd hate to get wacked by a booby trap I set in 67.

kenrobg30
06-13-11, 09:28 AM
I've just read your platform here, and i'd like to say, Thank You for the ordeal you experienced, to make it possible for all of us, to be free to express our opinions here as free men.

I had a Cousin named Jack Owen, who told me a lot, about Guadal Canal, and a friend named Glenn Pasho, Who told me the parts that jack missed. They were my reason for joining the Corps.

In my opinion, The battle for Iwo Jima, was famous, more for the casualties suffered than any other reason. The losses at Tarowa werewhat made that battle memorable. The families of the veterans who fought those battles remember They remember, but they don't necessarily under stand. Remembering all alone is not easy. That's why we have Organizations like the VFW. They are for the guys who remember what Shrapnel and bullets sound like as they, thankfully, fly past your ears. What's bee written here is worth reading, Thank You Ken

Caesar Augustus
06-13-11, 09:37 AM
Mike,
That's very interesting and it brings up something I touched upon in my book a little.

How do kids view us older vets? Honestly, I don't put much thought into whether they care or not. I know that us winning the war still has tremendous ramifications in the world today; yet I believe it took most of us a long time to see that for ourselves.

Those of us who fought Japan, Germany and Italy couldn't see much more than our current circumstances and how much combat hurt. Coming home I didn't have the feeling that we saved the world. I only had the good feeling that I was alive and that we won. Winning always feels good (and I'm a sore loser) - so having a whole nation infused with that winning feeling was a something else.

The thing is, me and most of my buddies didn't know what Japan and Germany had planned for the rest of the world, and we only had an inkling what they did to China and the Jews. So, in that regard the "big picture" could only be seen as far as I could aim my weapon.

I've killed men. Living, breathing men. And I never felt bad about it either.

On the other hand, I can stand before God and country and state in all truthfulness that I never killed a man with hate in my heart. The only hate was that I'd sure hate for this guy to kill me first!

So, if it took that long for those guys who were there to see what we really did, then those kids today probably don't have a chance. But if a person wants to learn about WWII...? Then I just think it's damned sorry for what we did in the Pacific to always play seconds to what they did in Europe.

Sterling G. Mace

It would be a shame for them to not learn about some of the most intense fighting and most important especially with regard to American interest and ability to project power.

I can say that growing up even when I was in 2cnd and 3rd grade I was reading books about WWII and I always wondered why the campaigns in N Afrika and the Pacific Islands weren't covered and then you realize that there wasn't as much money. I honestly think it came down to the very nature of our country which feeds on whatever brings wealth the quickest and movies, books, etc about the action in Europe was by in large far more well known and also much more accepted. Even stall-worth isolationist would have a hard time denouncing the destruction of the Nazi regime but selling the American public on the war in the Pacific that posed the greater military and economic threat(albeit longterm) was probably a lot harder , so people published what was easy because unlike what the Greatest Generation did which was not easy they did not see the value in sharing the experiences of the Marines fighting in some ****ty hell hole because it wasn't as glorious as liberating France and because maybe sometimes people don't want to know just how gritty things get.

I have the utmost respect for your service and for the legacy I was able to follow in and I look forward to reading your book.

Semper Fidelis.

Osotogary
06-13-11, 10:25 AM

This doesn't surprise me at all, Sir, but I would have thought that that young man, from the Philippines no less, would have known a little bit more about his countries history during WWII. Buzz words like Corregidor, Philippine Scouts, Bataan, General McArthur, "Huks", let alone the US Navy and US Marines involvement in the liberation of his country from the occupying forces of Japan...but then again, ask some of America's youth if they even know where the Philippines are located and you might get a blank stare. I'm thinking, though, that at least he asked you. No harm, no foul. Maybe, he learned something even though it wasn't something he expected.
Thank you for your service to your Country.
All the best to you.
Gary

TanyaKHurst
08-23-11, 11:11 PM
Sterling,

I come from a long line of military folk. My grandfather was a Marine during WWII. My birth father was a Marine. My father was in the Army for 10, then retired in the Navy. He served during the Vietnam War. My mother was in the Navy. My uncles all served in one branch or the other. My brother was in the Navy. I almost went in, but didn't want to sign over my little girl... so instead she just married a marine!

That said... I don't know a lot about war. My grandfather was a very special man to me... probably more special then anyone ever. He passed away when I was 7 years old. My mother just passed away at the age of 59 in 2008. She had full disability from the Navy... seems they think they had something to do with her contracting Multiple Sclerosis.

I say I don't know much about war because my grandfather never talked too much about it to me... course I was a little one then. He did teach me many things, however. He taught me how to love people. I mean really love them. Example: He and I would take walks downtown. I remember stopping to chat with an ole fella and his toy poodle who was sitting on a porch stoop. I remember one day, stopping behind the bushes in the big yard of the Baptist Church and sittin down a while to share a can of pork-n-beans with a homeless fella who lived back there. He also taught me alot about nature and how to walk in the woods without making a sound with my feet.

See, he didn't talk too much about war. He talked a lot about love and taught me to say my prayers at night and bless my loved ones, and he always sang me to sleep. He sang songs like My Old Kentucky Home, Ole Black Joe, Carry Me Back To Ole Virginny... stuff like that which I now sing to my 1 year old grandson.

I only remember a few stories about the "war". He said something about living in holes and eating potatoes. That man could peel some potatoes... and he taught me how to do it without wasting the potato. Other than that, the only clue I have is that he seemed to hate a "jap", which I always found strange since he was so loving and kindhearted and well respected by all who knew him.

My grandmother said he had a purple heart. Back then, I didn't know what a "purple" heart was... to me he was a magical man who could walk out in the backyard and simply bend down and pick me up a 4 leaf clover.

I just wish he was around a little longer, when I would have been old enough to ask questions and learn more about what made him so compassionate. This is why I want to know where he served.

You see, I run a dementia unit for those who have Alzheimers Disease... and one of my residents (I love them all dearly) was actually at Iwo Jima when the real flag was raised, not the photo shoot. He had decreased veterans benefits because he refused to go to any old meeting to collect his own purple heart. He thought they oughta bring it to him... anyhow, when he goes back in time... guess where he goes? Right back there to Iwo Jima and demands the nurses lay down on the ground and guard the parameters. And if they refuse, he says he'll shoot them. ha ha. I really love this fella too! He's doing much better now than when he first moved in to the facility.

So.... if any of this gives you a clue to where my grandfather might have spent a few years of his life, only a few, but enough to forever change him.... I would love to know so I can read about his experiences. I believe he received something called "shell shock" from an explosion on his boat... ?

So... I say.... for what it's worth, start talking to those you love, because they might be afraid to ask you for fear that it is a hurtful memory, but they might really want to know about your time over there.

From one strong survivor to another, Love Tanya.

TanyaKHurst
08-23-11, 11:19 PM
Sterling, If I had to guess, I'd say my grandfather served in the Pacific, but I don't know for sure. I did send for info with the help of the Veterans Administration, but all I got back was a paper showing me my grandfathers enlistment date and his occupation before he went in, and then where he came out. They left out all the middle, go figure. Tanya

TanyaKHurst
08-23-11, 11:36 PM
Looking for my grandfather's friends. His name was Claude T. Abney. I think people called him C.T. back then.

Ray Merrell
08-24-11, 05:41 AM
Thank you for your post Tahya.

Gung Ho,

Ray

EGA1957
08-24-11, 10:50 AM
Though an older post, I have to say that as I was only 2 when the US entered WWII, I well remember being enthralled by the Sunday News (New York Times paper, I think) having Sunday "maps" that showed the progress in the war. As I recall, both fronts were covered in the paper.

But not knowing or hearing placenames was not as significant to me as my memory of putting the maps on the wall AND having a "favorite" toy that was Tojo hanging from a yardarm, then pulling the string would get his legs to "jiggle" really sticks in mind even to today.

For that toy to even exist suggests to me that the Pacific, and particularly the Japanese, involvement had more coverage than what some may think. But I have to admit, it's just my recall.

GT6238
08-24-11, 11:57 AM
I grew up with World War II firmly implanted in my mind. I read a lot of books about it. Watched the Victory at Sea series and other stuff on the early B&W TVs. Movies. My uncle was a Army Captain in the Amphibious Engineers. He had the highest respect for Marines and advised me to join when the time came. Wounded somewhere (Philipines? Oki?) when a kamikazi hit the ship he was on. Anyway...kids today are undereducated unless they seek it themselves. I saw a study where most had no idea was OJ was on trial for...and a lot had no idea who he was...

Ray Merrell
08-24-11, 12:18 PM
August 15th to August 30, 1945 I was aboard ship,
the USS Grimes, heading for Japan for the occupation
of the Yokosuka Bay area.

Mxzero
08-24-11, 02:27 PM
Talking as someone from that "dumb" generation that doesn't know anything about it, something I've always found is that Hitler is a household name, Hirohito not so much. I've always personally known much more about the European front then anything in the Pacific. Namely since having two relatives over on that side (one a bombardier on a B25 in the Army Air Corps and the other a German Feldwebel or Sergeant) and no one in the Pacific pushed that interest away from there beyond the major fights (Pearl Harbour, battle of Midway, Iwo Jima, Hiroshama/Nagasaki and the Manhattan project in general) and it's always seemed that way with most people around my age that I know. No one really hates anything that Marines did and always respect them (assuming they respect military at all), it's just not that popular all together. Hell, look at anything involving WWII and it's pretty much all Europe.

JH McClure
09-15-14, 11:19 PM
Mr. Mace: My dad served as a corpsmen on Okinawa, he was there for the entire fight. After the war was over, he was part of the marines who occupied China. He came home well after the war, and so saw none of the accolades. But, he did not want them. His group was destroyed by the enemy, only 3 of 250 survived. he never went to a reunion, had no one to write, or talk to. Every April, he never slept. He went on to do good things, and I'm sure you did to. Although I am not military, I hope I don't offend you by saying, "Semper Fi"!

awbrown1462
09-16-14, 06:50 AM
talk to any marine does not mateer when they where in ask about Wake, Okie, iwo and he will know about them ask him who Edison, Boyington are. Now go to an Army guy and ask him about Kasserine Pass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Kasserine_Pass), Bastogne are, and who Murphy, Clark or Arnold where so to all you Marine WWII vets you are rememberwd and love as Brothers by those who count your fellow Marines