PDA

View Full Version : What should I work out to do more pull ups?

Carflux
04-05-11, 11:55 AM
Back? Biceps? Chest? Shoulders? Everything? What should I do at the gym? Should I just keep doing as much pull ups as I can? I also need to work on my sit ups. What should I do?

iamspartacus
04-05-11, 12:08 PM
Between pullups and crunches, pretty much every upper body muscle is used. Especially if you're doing over-handed pull-ups. Over-handed pullups use more muscles to pull yourself up. Under-handed pullups isolate your biceps more. Over-handed are harder to start out doing, but once you build your upper body muscles they should (in theory) be easier to do than under-handed pullups. Definitely keep working out all of your upper-body muscles. But ultimately, to get better at pull-ups you just have to keep doing them.

Marine3451
04-05-11, 02:42 PM
Try the 5 sets of 5 method doing deadlifts, squats, bench press and pullups

chulaivet1966
04-05-11, 04:29 PM
Back? Biceps? Chest? Shoulders? Everything? What should I do at the gym? Should I just keep doing as much pull ups as I can? I also need to work on my sit ups. What should I do?

The only way to get good at pull-ups is to do more pull-ups.
They are a back movement.
If you are having problems with pull-ups start at top - hold - and slowly let yourself down....repeat for about 6 reps. Rest 2 minutes....repeat.
There's no shortcut to getter better at these.
Try 3 sets of 3 to start and aim for 3 sets of 10.....then work on you requirement for the PT test.
Mix it up any way that keeps you motivated but you must do them to get good at them.
I would say the same approach will work for sit-ups also.

What is min. pull-up requirement these days?

Hope that helps....good luck.

Go here to get educated further:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9