PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember these terms?

Ray Merrell
04-05-11, 07:44 AM
fender skirts
steering knobs
continental kits
emergency brake
foot feed
clutch
dimmer switch

USNAviator
04-05-11, 07:51 AM
Ray

Some I remember, others I've heard of save one. What does foot feed mean?

Ray Merrell
04-05-11, 08:18 AM
foot feed was the accelerator

Deduke
04-05-11, 08:46 AM
Ray

Some I remember, others I've heard of save one. What does foot feed mean?

You mash down on yer foot feed while you work yer stomp starter.

Old Marine
04-05-11, 10:01 AM
Neckers knob
Floor Board Starter.
Rumble Seats
Windshields that opened for air
Windwings
Hand Signals for making turns
Ford Flathead V8 60

EGA1957
04-05-11, 10:11 AM
When you turned the key on a Buick, how did you then start it?

How did you put a earky GM automatic transmission in a "Park" status?

USNAviator
04-05-11, 10:17 AM
I remember my parents had a car, probably a Chrysler that had push button gear selection

But the coolest car belonged to my uncle. A rather shady character, sort of the black sheep of the family. He owned but very seldom drove a Tucker with it's three head lights. The center headlight turned as you went around curves

Apache
04-05-11, 01:46 PM
I remember my step dads Nash
Built like a tank

Dad 2 pushed it about 2 miles to a "service" station who wacked it on the starter with a hammer to get it going

dad2 was pizzed to pay $5.00
1.00 for the wack and 4.00 to know where

montana
04-05-11, 02:26 PM
spark advance on the steering collum. gravity flowe fule...tank higher then the motor
had to back up a few hills on the hiway to keep the tank up above the motor with less then a 1/4 tank...nobody minded...wasnt that much trafick...could use bright lights for extended time

Old Marine
04-05-11, 05:45 PM
I forgot this one:

CURB FEELERS

EGA1957
04-05-11, 05:50 PM
Dagmars.

Bruce59
04-05-11, 05:52 PM
Of course, I remember them all. I also remember GAS WARS!!!!

SlingerDun
04-05-11, 05:56 PM
Pour the coal to it!

Fender Skirts oh heck yeah we had custom fiberglass skirts from Lund on a Chevy dually 1 ton flatbed. Gave the appearance that those "extra" wheels actually belonged to the vehicle. That's what the ex claimedhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

EGA1957
04-05-11, 05:57 PM
Of course, I remember them all. I also remember GAS WARS!!!!
Barracks on a Sat. night, right?

Old Marine
04-05-11, 06:01 PM
$.15 a gallon leaded gas
Horns that went OOOOOOOOOGA
Big dice hanging on the Rear View Mirror

Sterling Mace
04-05-11, 06:48 PM
There was this apparatus that affixed to your car door, right where the window rolled down, and it would hang out of your car…you would put ice water in it – lots of ice – and the air moving through it, as the car went down the road, would turn the fan inside this gizmo and blow cold air in on you. It was just a metal box. Cheap stuff. I’m not sure if they sold a lot of those.
<O:p</O:p
Sterling G. Mace

SGT7477
04-05-11, 06:52 PM
The big azz whitewall tires,lol,Semper Fidelis.

USNAviator
04-05-11, 06:56 PM
Windshield separated by a metal bar. AM only radio. Car washes where human beings actually washed your car and dried it. Full spare tires. Free maps, water and air in "service" stations.

tracs1833
04-05-11, 07:59 PM
green pine tree shaped air fresheners hanging from your rear view window
Wing Windows
Suicide Knobs
S & H Green Stamps with gas purchase
those funky drinking glasses free with fill up of gas
"going parking" at the airport
or "going parking" at the beach to watch the "submarine races"
and the bobble headed hula doll on the dashboard

Sterling Mace
04-05-11, 08:20 PM
"Spoonin' under the moon."

Old Marine
04-05-11, 08:32 PM
Hub caps on the wheels.
Movies at the Drive In.
Carhops at the Drive In Restraunt.
Cars with fluid drive. (No shifting)(47 Dodge)

EGTSpec
04-05-11, 09:03 PM
fender skirts
steering knobs
continental kits
emergency brake
foot feed
clutch
dimmer switchRemember em all Ray, and in fact a couple I still use from time to time.

m14ed
04-06-11, 04:42 AM
Running Boards
Vacuum Windshield wipers
Hood Ornaments that lit up when the headlights went on
Real Hood Ornaments !
OneBrake light, One Tail light = two bulbs , one mount and lens
(Backup light not included)
Starter buttons on the dash, Starter Buttons on the floor.
Starter crank
Spark Advance on the steering wheel and a throttle control on the other side.
Tires with tubes. "Patch kit, Hand airpump , and tire tools as SuggestedStandard Equipment for any trip."

How about MarineCorps Gear from the past???

Tie Ties, = for hanging your laundry instead of clothes pins.
Oil and Thong set/kit. = for rifle cleaning .
JohnWayne CanOpeners = p38's.

Sgt Jim
04-06-11, 08:16 AM
Three two barrel carbs,split exhaust on a six cyl,cut outs on the exhaust,glass packs or straight exhaust,bigs and littles,back of car jacked up for bigger tires,vacume wolf whisle,welded spider gears or poor mans locker diff.

Old Marine
04-06-11, 09:13 AM
Vehicles actually made of real metal.
Chrome bumpers.

jim27581
04-06-11, 10:31 AM
Boy do I ever! I guess that ages me, oh well!

montana
04-06-11, 11:35 AM
also the windshild washers that had the foot bulb that squerted water on the windshilad...all manul...hated the vacume wipers...speshly when the motor started gettin a little week...only work when ya let off the gas

DrZ
04-06-11, 11:35 AM
Oil Bath Filters
Slant 6
Hemi 6-pack
Chevy Nomad
4-track tapes
8-track tapes
AM Tube Radios (5 minute warm up time)
Studebaker Avanti
WLA Harley
Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead
Three on the tree
Double Clutch
Honda 305 Dream
Harley Davidson Sprint

AND FINALLY...

Frantz Toilet Paper Oil Filters!

Let's find out how many old farts we really do have here.

montana
04-06-11, 11:44 AM
in a gas station here they had 50 gallon barrols filled with sawdust....they dumped all the used oil the changed into them...they has taps at the bottum...when the oil worked its way threw it came out clean..they would resell for half price

FistFu68
04-06-11, 12:20 PM
:evilgrin: Reverb Chamber...Hell I still get High from Burning Rubber...Or Peeling Out :thumbup: :beer:

EGTSpec
04-06-11, 01:41 PM
"Three on the tree", Over-drive knob on the dash, "kick starter" knob on floorboard for engaging the starter, choke knob on the dash, having to pump the brake pedal to get good brakes, push button shift on the dash, Chrysler square steering wheel, fins, rear view mirror mounted on the dash.

DrZ
04-06-11, 02:03 PM
Vacuum Windshield Wipers (My 56 Chevy had these!)

At the time vacuum windshield wipers were commonly used in cars--primarily in cars built between the 1920s and the 1960s--their utilization of the manifold vacuum created by the engine prevented them from taxing the electrical systems of the automobiles of that period.
However, they had their disadvantages. Vacuum windshield wipers were not able to maintain a constant, regular speed: their speed corresponded directly with the speed of the engine. Also, because the function of the windshield wipers depended on the amount of vacuum created in the engine, the wipers would stop working entirely when the car was in a situation that lowered the pressure, such as when the driver was trying to navigate up a steep hill.

Great fun on a rainy night when you were hot rodding around the neighborhood with the wipers only occasionally working!!!!

SlingerDun
04-06-11, 04:15 PM
Pop's drove a 48 Cadillac hard top with fender skirts and wide whites when i was an urchin. That thing would float like a dream at 70 - 90 MPH down those Great Basin highways. He got a kick out of watching the station attendant walking around the back of the vehicle trying to figure out where to fill'er up! with ethyl. He paid me a quarter to wash it and scrub the white walls