PDA

View Full Version : Family Dispute

06yz125
04-04-11, 07:03 PM
My son wants to go in the National Guard Reserve. We have the money
for him to get a four year degree. He has a 3.7 GPA (honestly) and is
graduating in 2 months.

The NG recruiter tells him he has to do basic..then one weekend a month for four years. Thats the only four years he will have to commit to the military and they will pay for his college. After college he thinks he would
be free of any other commitment to duty. I think not..he could end up
not finishing college and called to duty prior to completing college graduation.

I am a Marine folks..please HELP.

I want my son make the right decision.

benw2200
04-04-11, 09:14 PM
First of all, make sure your son knows exactly what and how much money he is getting when the national guard "pays" for his college. 100%? Tuition, books, housing? Any college? Does he have to keep a certain GPA to maintain financial assistance? I know the Army has different tuition assistance programs than the Corps does, but make sure you get the full story. Do your own research online... it's no secret that recruiters will not hesitate to stretch the truth : )

If his guard contract is four years, my guess is that he will almost certainly deploy, at least once. Depending on the type of unit, it might be stateside, peacekeeping, humanitarian, etc... but chances are it will be Afghanistan or Iraq, depending on how the next few years goes, foreign affairs-wise.

My advice to your son is to do what HE wants to do, but make sure he doesn't join the guard just for the money. If he really wants to be a guardsman or whatever, that's great. But don't let slick recruiters talk him into joining because the guard will take care of everything. If he really just wants to make money for college, there is millions of dollars worth of non-military financial aid out there.

06yz125
04-04-11, 09:25 PM
Thanks Ben..he just read your response. It may have ****ed him off. <smile>

MarinesFTW
04-05-11, 03:07 PM
I thought if you were in the Guards and enrolled into college you could not get deployed..? I would have him check into that, because if thats not the case, I wouldn't join. If he wants to be apart of the military maybe he should look into ROTC. I've never really unstood why people want to be in the guards to do some training once a month that he will never do for real, to me its just like playing dress up. I'm not hitting on the guards or anything but to me, it just makes no sense. I wish your son best of luck on what ever he does, either way, he's still doing something great with his life.

CrockettJW
04-06-11, 11:36 AM
I thought if you were in the Guards and enrolled into college you could not get deployed..? I would have him check into that, because if thats not the case, I wouldn't join. If he wants to be apart of the military maybe he should look into ROTC. I've never really unstood why people want to be in the guards to do some training once a month that he will never do for real, to me its just like playing dress up. I'm not hitting on the guards or anything but to me, it just makes no sense. I wish your son best of luck on what ever he does, either way, he's still doing something great with his life.

I've never heard of a college exemption when you're in the National Guard or Reserves.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that they're playing dress-up. The National Guard puts their people on orders, too.

Artemis
04-06-11, 11:53 AM
I am currently in the National Guard and can tell you that there is no exemption for college studants. If you are MOB listed you are going regardless of your work and school situation. If your son has questions about the Guard have him PM me and I will gladly speak with him about it.

Artemis
04-06-11, 11:55 AM

As for this post it is irrelevant to the thread starters issues. If you do not have first hand knowledge of anything useful to add then please feel free to keep it to yourself.

06yz125
04-06-11, 05:14 PM
Thank you all for the responses.

I asked my son to do more research before he deciedes on anything.

Some won't like this comment but.. I hope (if he chooses a military path)
he goes Air Force or Coast Guard.

The kid has a lot to offer. As his Dad..I may have a bias though..LOL

Thanks Marines..we are all different and can't always choose our own path
or the paths of our children. But we can ask for advice.. then make a decision.

Semper Fi