PDA

View Full Version : Working out

robbyj
04-03-11, 07:32 PM
I have a question about working out to prepare for Boot Camp. I started to PT in the beginning of January and shortly after I upped the ante a bit and started spending alot of time in the gym. As it goes now my workout regiment is

Monday- Chest/Triceps/Abs
Tuesday- PT, then Back/Biceps/Abs
Wednesday-Legs/Abs
Thursday-PT, then Chest/Triceps/Abs
Friday- Back/Biceps/Abs
Saturday- Sets of push ups/pull ups
Sunday- Sets of push ups/pull ups

Everyday is usually accompanied by a 1-5 mile run, my question is does anybody have any advice on how to improve my work outs or think I may be working out the wrong way?

I ship out in November of this year and I can currently do

Pullups:16
Crunches:103
1 1/2 Mile Run: 12:30

My running needs alot of work, aside from running everyday is there anything else I could be doing to improve my run time?

:tank:

robbyj
04-03-11, 07:33 PM
Also, my knees/hips tend to bother me a bit when running, any stretches or anything of that nature you guys recommend to help with that?

C_Squash_D
04-03-11, 07:54 PM
I'm working out a lot, too, although it is very likely that you'll lose most of the muscle in bootcamp.
We have pretty much the same run time. I run 12:19 and usually have lots of energy to sprint left, so I'll try that next time ;)
To improve your running, you need to do 400m sprints. I usually do 5-6 sprints the day after I run long distance and that helped me a lot on improving my time (used to be 13:40 or something).

Tbrown10
04-03-11, 09:14 PM
Alternate Doing distance running ie 3-4 miles at a nice pace and then 1.5 for time..that should bring your time down some. or since it looks like your training for 1.5 just sprint .75 as hard as ya can..then the next week o the 1.5 mile but up your speed just a hair etc

Were pretty much doing the same workout lol im trying to look good for the Beach this summer while getting in Marine shape too

Bagwell916
04-03-11, 10:19 PM
Just curious, when you're working out at the Gym, are you going for more muscle endurance or trying to build?

Honcho1010
04-03-11, 11:05 PM
Yep, like Tbrown said, switch it up. I just started doing it a couple weeks ago and im seeing a big change. im running 2-4-2 miles. A day off then 4-2-4. That accompanied with sprints and youll drop time. I wish i would have started months before my Poolee Function yesterday, still showed a minute plus improvement on my 1.5 mile.

robbyj
04-04-11, 09:37 AM
Just curious, when you're working out at the Gym, are you going for more muscle endurance or trying to build?

Build muscle.

robbyj
04-04-11, 09:40 AM
Yep, like Tbrown said, switch it up. I just started doing it a couple weeks ago and im seeing a big change. im running 2-4-2 miles. A day off then 4-2-4. That accompanied with sprints and youll drop time. I wish i would have started months before my Poolee Function yesterday, still showed a minute plus improvement on my 1.5 mile.

Sounds like a good idea. It's good that your trying to get better for the Pool Functions, more than half of my RSS doesn't do anything (gym, pt etc.0 and when it comes time to put out at the Pool Functions, they can't do anything and we get stomped.

surfer2513
04-04-11, 01:11 PM
You should only be doing abs twice a week. It gives them time to grow. Trust me when they rest up, you'll feel better and your run time will increase since you are building your core. You should never run the same route again and again everytime you run. Try uphills and cross country. Training exercises that help are "repeats." Go to a track. Set a time goal for a mile. For me 6:15. Run 1 mile (timed) get under 6:15, walk one lap and rest a few seconds, Run another mile (timed) get under the time you just got, Rest/walk, run another mile (timed) go all out and get under the time you just got. This is speed training. It works miracles. Have a "meal" afterwards to help with protein and carbs to refuel what you just burned (nutrition is key in working out). The next day do a 4 mile run at a comfortable to fast paced, push yourself. Then the next day do a light run. Keep repeating these workouts and hopefully it helps you out.

IHaveEGA843
04-04-11, 05:54 PM
I really don't have a accurate time now but I know my 1.5 mile is passable....may not be impressive but passable.

I'm trying to get to the point of where I can just do a good sprint for the first mile and gradually work my way down and finish the 1.5 like it was nothing. I haven't put in those 3+ miles in yet but my recruiter says dont worry about it but I am. I know I can pass the PFT but the run will hurt me alot because I'm just not a running guy, I'm more upper body power then endurance running.

I've posted my routine countless times so I'm not going into detail with it anymore.

Monday-Wednesday-Friday
1.5 run to get the heart rate up
15 min of resistance biking/eliptical
Remaning time doing low weight high rep lifting *Pull downs, Chest press, Fly, Abs*

Tuesday-Thursday
1.5 mile run
30 min resistance biking
30 min high height and high resistance eliptical

It has really worked and when I feel I can do more I just add more miles or add more resistance. I know it worked for me because I've dropped a great deal of weight doing it.

Just that run is the killer for me, I can sprint it out but I HATE DISTANCE RUNNING!!!!!