PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Boot Camp

Johrai
04-02-11, 04:05 AM
Hello,

I joined these forums a few years ago as a wannabe. Just recently, I was finally able to set things in motion to join the Marines. I am currently in the DEP with a ship date of October 17th, 2011 to San Diego.

I have, of course, taken getting ready for Boot Camp very seriously. I don't want to be in "good enough" physical condition I want to be in fantastic condition! Unfortunately, my body type is very frustrating to work with; I have a larger, squat frame. I am exceptionally strong for my size and do pullups/pushups/crunches quite well(I will easily be able to score perfect scores on both of these on the IST by the time I ship), however running is not my forte at all.

I have semi-flat feet, short legs, and a stout frame, making running a great annoyance. I can make the speed requirements, but I greatly prefer muscle workouts and, if possible, long marches over speed running.

My question is; How much actual running takes place at Boot Camp? I understand that long marches and humps are commonplace, but I am unsure as to how much, and in what distances, runs will take place.

Secondly, are you allowed to take pain killers in Boot? Normally, I would not take them but during exceptionally harsh runs I do get annoying pains in my knees. Nothing actually wrong, just simple overuse pain.

Thanks in advance.

PooleeGewarges
04-02-11, 07:37 AM
First and foremost, fill out your profile completely. This means you must add your recruiter's name, his number, and your ship date.

Also, do not post this thread in the poolee section. Us poolees can not answer a question that a Marine can answer. This thread should be moved to "Ask A Marine,". They have been through recruit training and they can answer your question because they had the experience.

Tbrown10
04-02-11, 07:37 AM
probably shouldve posted this in the ask a marine section

kjohnson8824
04-02-11, 08:12 AM
Johrai, I know what your talking about. I have low arched feet and I'm only 5 foot 8. You need to STOP doing heavy weighted squats because building up too much muscle in your lower body is going to SLOW you down.

My brother is a more natural runner being tall with longer legs but I can still keep up right behind him, You just need to put in the work to run faster. I can run a 3 Mile PFT now at 6:30 a mile.

IHaveEGA843
04-02-11, 11:32 AM
^^^kj speaks truth on the lifting. Start running more and eventually your body will tune itself for it. My knees use to hurt when I was heavier but since I've lost weight my legs don't bother me. This maybe your issue also, you're just to top heavy for your legs to support.

I have serve flat feet so I researched and bought a pair of running shoes that support those with flat feet and correct it by building a arch. I can now run pain free minus the stomach cramping I get when I push past my current limits.

If you have to lift do light with high reps......my recruiter told me if I have to lift do it light and burn out.....

kjohnson8824
04-02-11, 11:59 PM
Soontohvega, where did you find those running shoes, although Im shipping out in less than 24 hours now itll be good to know for when I get out of boot since I have low arches.

Ive been looking for a shoe to help correct that.

Johrai
04-03-11, 08:13 PM
Appreciate the response, I will look into the "Ask a Marine" forum.

@kjohnson8824: Indeed, probably a good idea. I think that I might have some muscle balance problems, laying off the weight lifting for the most part. I'm trying to make weight without having to tape in, even though I have such a compact frame, so Cardio and Calisthenics are my top priority. Appreciate the advise!

@Soon2HaveEGA843: Glad I'm not the only one! It's very likely that my weight has something to do with it; had the pain since I started running hard, started at 250 lbs(!) in my darkest hour, have since whittled myself down to 190! Almost to my goal. I've also started using Glucosamine, did you ever use it?

I bought myself some really nice Brooks for running, they corrected some of the pain, but I've still been taking it easy since it recurred. I've been walking when I can't run, rather take it easy and work on my core and pullups then get too comfortable and possibly hurt the knee.

In any case, it's not serious, just annoying! Appreciate the replies!

IHaveEGA843
04-04-11, 05:56 PM
Soontohvega, where did you find those running shoes, although Im shipping out in less than 24 hours now itll be good to know for when I get out of boot since I have low arches.

Ive been looking for a shoe to help correct that.

SMH I know you're currently in Recieving/Forming right now but I've bought a pair of Asics GT 2150 *I believe* and it has helped alot.