PDA

View Full Version : A decent core muscle group workout

SheDevilPup
04-01-11, 09:22 PM
Hey all! So I was reading an issue of the "Marines" magazine and I just happened to stumble upon an article that had a decent workout to strengthen your core. Your core muscle groups are basic building blocks to helping you strengthen other parts of your body as it helps hold you up and supports your mid-section and spine.

They have so fittingly named it the "Core Challenge".

"Put the endurance and strength of your core to the test. Challenge yourself with a healthy dose of crunches, supermans, sit-ups, leg-lifts, and planks. Do all five challenge exercises without stopping. If you are truly hardcore, try doing the challenge three times with a 2-minute break in between."

Exercises:

1. Start by doing 2 minutes of crunches:

150 crunches -- excellent
100 crunches -- good
60 crunches -- work on it
2. After doing crunches move on to supermans:

Two minutes -- excellent
One minute -- good
Less than 1 min -- work on it
3. Moving from superman, roll-over and start doing sit-ups for 2 minutes:

100 sit-ups -- excellent
60 sit-ups -- good
40 sit-ups -- work on it
4. Roll-over and begin 2 minutes of holding the plank position. Alternate sides as needed:

Two minutes -- excellent
One minute -- good
Less than 1 min -- work on it
5. When you can't hold the plank position any longer, roll-over for one minute of leg-lifts:

50 leg-lifts -- excellent
40 leg-lifts -- good
30 leg-lifts -- work on it
I'm posting it because I think it's a good resource to have for those who may never look through "Marines" magazine or have maybe even never heard of it. It's a pretty basic workout, but I think for people who need to get better core strength, it is a good start.

Hope this helps everyone who reads it. (:

chulaivet1966
04-04-11, 07:20 PM
Shedevilpup......I'll chime in....but you won't like it.
I would dump every one of these exercises for your purpose.
IMO...they are waste of good workout time.

You want to address your 'core' muscles?
Do "dead lifts" and "squats"....not these trendy isolation movements.
If one wants to incorporate those isolation movements after the deads and squats that's cool although after doing deads and squats correctly you won't have anything left in the tank for that stuff.
You will best build your core muscles by doing 'compound lifts' which with these above movements which incorporate all muscle groups.

No disrespect (your motives are honest<grin>) but there is so much BS and myths out on the internet from 'Shake Weight' to 'Thigh Master' that sometimes I feel compelled to level the knowledge field a bit.

You serious? You want to know more?
Go here for knowledge and there's also a female specific forum.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/index.php

Hope that helps...good luck with your 'core' strengthening goals.
Respectfully...

EDIT: Those are 'ab' exercises...I would not refer to them as 'core' movements.

SheDevilPup
04-04-11, 11:21 PM
Shedevilpup......I'll chime in....but you won't like it.
I would dump every one of these exercises for your purpose.
IMO...they are waste of good workout time.

You want to address your 'core' muscles?
Do "dead lifts" and "squats"....not these trendy isolation movements.
If one wants to incorporate those isolation movements after the deads and squats that's cool although after doing deads and squats correctly you won't have anything left in the tank for that stuff.
You will best build your core muscles by doing 'compound lifts' which with these above movements which incorporate all muscle groups.

No disrespect (your motives are honest<grin>) but there is so much BS and myths out on the internet from 'Shake Weight' to 'Thigh Master' that sometimes I feel compelled to level the knowledge field a bit.

You serious? You want to know more?
Go here for knowledge and there's also a female specific forum.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/index.php

Hope that helps...good luck with your 'core' strengthening goals.
Respectfully...

EDIT: Those are 'ab' exercises...I would not refer to them as 'core' movements.

Thank you very much Chulaivet. Didn't take any offense to it at all, as I will take all of the tips that I can get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete sissy when it comes to strength but I definitely have room for a lot of improvement.

I saw it in the magazine and thought it was something that could possibly help others out. Whether it does anyone any good is a completely different animal. I'm glad that you added your own $0.02 though. :)

I will definitely check out that forum. I intend to max out everything for the IST in these next 11 months 'fore I ship out so I am going to use that to my advantage. If you've got any other workout tips, let me know. I love PT! lol

chulaivet1966
04-05-11, 07:52 AM
Good mornin'.....

The magazines are vehicles for all the supplement advertisements with an occasional interesting article, interview or supplement endorsement by some well known celebrity.
I would use the website I provided for most of your knowledge search.
As I say, countless myths out there.

Ha...yes...we all have room for improvement.

I will say this: any workout 'regimen' will do some good as long as one does it consistently....most do not.
Everyone thinks there's a pill or supplement to make things happen quicker...another myth....there are no shortcuts.

The trendy crap out there is overwhelming so don't believe the mag or TV ads.
It's all BS.

Some myths:

Fats in foods make us fat?
No, processed foods, too many calories, laziness and lack of self-respect make us fat. Balance is the key.

I'll see my 'abs' in 60 days by doing 1000 crunches?
No....ab muscles are already there. To be seen one must reduce body fat which would be in the range of about 8-12% or so.
Abs are made in the kitchen.

I'll be ripped in 90 days with this new 'Ab Machine From Hell' and the pretty color brochure they include?
No....it takes years of loathsome eating habits and laziness to put on extra pounds and it will take many months to lose them. One won't look like one of 'The 300' in 90 days.
Two pounds of weight loss per week is a safe way to lose extra pounds.

If you are going to push some weight approach it slowly and with good form and good sense.
Eating correctly is paramount.

And no, if a woman lifts weights she will not put on muscle quickly or look like a man.
Even men do not add muscle quickly and it's much more difficult for woman.

Hope that helps a bit...if you have any questions I will answer candidly.
Have a good day.