PDA

View Full Version : throwing knives?

StevenF
03-30-11, 07:49 PM
Um hey i'm new here but anyways I am wanting to join the Marines and am going for my interview with a recruiter tomarrow. I was just wanting to know if on active duty if I could carry throwing knives if I am actually skilled with them. I asked my recruiter and he said he wasn't sure so i thought maybe you could help me. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service and I hope to join you all as a proud Marine soon. :flag:

SlingerDun
03-30-11, 11:08 PM
I'd like to see your knife throwing video, where's it at..

StevenF
03-30-11, 11:18 PM
why would I have a video? I simply asked a question after asking a recruiter who didn't know in hopes someone would know. not that hard man.

Tennessee Top
03-30-11, 11:58 PM
Negative.

Throwing knives are not an approved uniform accessory in garrison or combat. When you become a noncommissioned officer you will be authorized to carry a sword for drill and ceremonies but don't think you'll be able to throw it very far.

The knife Marines are associated with is the K-bar and you will get instruction with its use during close combat/martial arts training.

Leave your throwing knives at home.

Wyoming
03-31-11, 12:56 PM
Your recruiter went to the bar after work and they are still laughing about this issue!!!

ggyoung
03-31-11, 04:36 PM
I went through 2 tours in Vietnam with a "BenHibbin jungle fighting knife" No body ever said a word about it except when I came back from Vietnam darning a shake down. This damn butter bar tried to keep take it away from me. Gunny Ray read that boot the riot act.

Old Marine
03-31-11, 06:00 PM
Play a lot of Mumbly Peg do you.

StevenF
03-31-11, 06:42 PM
Well my recruiter asked his superior while we were doing my interview and according to him it would be permitted after i was put on active duty. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service to our great country :usmc: I seriously do appreciate it Marines.

Marine3451
04-01-11, 12:33 PM
We got a ninja on our hands here

Wyoming
04-01-11, 01:03 PM
Well my recruiter asked his superior while we were doing my interview and according to him it would be permitted after i was put on active duty. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service to our great country :usmc: I seriously do appreciate it Marines.

Well then what was the ****ing purpose of your question?

Are we to be impressed that you are actually skilled and can throw a knife? Who says, you. **** padewan, I got a black belt in bar stool!

Besides, never carry a knife to a gun fight.

Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam!! 6 body mass shots.

What now? 'Oh yeah, nice knife, you gonna throw it????'.

Oh wait, you are ****ing dead!

StevenF
04-01-11, 02:18 PM
The point was when I first went and asked him he didn't know so I came here were all the Marines might be able to help answer it since I would assume have field experience and know. And honestly i wasn't trying to impress anyone. Everyone could easily get good at knife throwing if not better. Besides everyone has talent at something. Nice assumption though Wyoming :)

Wyoming
04-01-11, 02:25 PM
Thanks, but help me here, what exactly did I assume???

Apache
04-01-11, 02:52 PM
Steven
You come in to a Marine site with an attitude
Did you expect you could extract gracefully?

USNAviator
04-01-11, 02:59 PM
The point was when I first went and asked him he didn't know so I came here were all the Marines might be able to help answer it since I would assume have field experience and know. And honestly i wasn't trying to impress anyone. Everyone could easily get good at knife throwing if not better. Besides everyone has talent at something. Nice assumption though Wyoming :)

Steven sorry but I didn't know this post existed. I see you hail from W. Virginia, I'm from Virginia so maybe we can get this straightened out

My brother is a Marine Corps JAG who works at the Marine Headquarters in DC. He's full Colonel so he knows his stuff. He sent me the Marine regulations on throwing knives

Marine Corps Order (MCO) 4630.16C - Knives, for throwing and hunting

Pursuant to Corps policy dated 12/13/09, only knives allowed for throwing and hunting shall be carried by enlisted ranks of E-7 and above and only officers with the rank of O-3 and above

Any other rank, unless specifically authorized in writing under Article 13.10 subsection/4567, shall be prohibited from knives, for throwing or hunting

So you see, you'll have to wait until you attain the rank of Gunnery Sgt. to be able to carry your knives with you

Now this policy is subject to change so I strongly suggest you print out this info and bring it with you when you next visit your recruiter. Perhaps he has more up to date intel on the subject

Hope this helps

StevenF
04-01-11, 03:09 PM
Wyoming the assumption I mean is you thought I was bragging about me being skilled with throwing knives. If it was sarcasm or a joke then by all means I will apologize but sarcasm can be a bit hard to understand over typing.

And gehrij I didn't come here with an attitude but I did come here with a question to be answered but I have answered each Marine's response as i saw it in the utmost respect.

And thank you Aviator your post is a big help and I'll check to see if those are the updated regulations or what I was told.

USNAviator
04-01-11, 03:10 PM
Wyoming the assumption I mean is you thought I was bragging about me being skilled with throwing knives. If it was sarcasm or a joke then by all means I will apologize but sarcasm can be a bit hard to understand over typing.

And to the other Marine who posted after(I don't recall his/her name) I didn't come here with an attitude but I did come here with a question to be answered but I have answered each Marine's response as i saw it in the utmost respect.

And thank you Aviator your post is a big help and I'll check to see if those are the updated regulations or what I was told.

You're welcome and carry on smartly. You're a credit to West Virginia

StevenF
04-01-11, 03:18 PM
You're welcome and carry on smartly. You're a credit to West Virginia

No disrespect but when I'm a Marine then I'll consider myself a credit to West Virginia :)

USNAviator
04-01-11, 03:22 PM
No disrespect but when I'm a Marine then I'll consider myself a credit to West Virginia :)

Good one!!!! BTW we have a JAG Officer aboard. Today he is in court, if you can hold on for a day or two, I'll see if can shed some further light on these Marine Regs

afraziaaaa
04-01-11, 03:28 PM
Um hey i'm new here but anyways I am wanting to join the Marines and am going for my interview with a recruiter tomarrow. I was just wanting to know if on active duty if I could carry throwing knives if I am actually skilled with them. I asked my recruiter and he said he wasn't sure so i thought maybe you could help me. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service and I hope to join you all as a proud Marine soon. :flag:

How did you do on the test the recruiter gave you?

Covey_Rider
04-01-11, 04:26 PM
1. You never bring a knife to a gun fight.

2. I really think this is the last straw. I am officially done with the site haha. I'll check PM's and see if anyone is still wanting to keep in touch...outside of that, good luck to you all.

To the poster, since I'm leaving I will speak my mind. You are a f*cking idiot. I just wanted to let you know that. Everyone here is thinking it, however they are being politically correct. I really hope this whole thing was a joke, because if not, I am seriously concerned about the people wanting to join the Corps these days. Let me repeat one last time that you're an idiot.

S/F Marines.

StevenF
04-01-11, 04:36 PM
1. You never bring a knife to a gun fight.

2. I really think this is the last straw. I am officially done with the site haha. I'll check PM's and see if anyone is still wanting to keep in touch...outside of that, good luck to you all.

To the poster, since I'm leaving I will speak my mind. You are a f*cking idiot. I just wanted to let you know that. Everyone here is thinking it, however they are being politically correct. I really hope this whole thing was a joke, because if not, I am seriously concerned about the people wanting to join the Corps these days. Let me repeat one last time that you're an idiot.

S/F Marines.

1. Honestly that is your opinion and you are free to think it. Just because someone would carry them it doesn't mean they wouldn't use a rifle.

2. I'm not an idiot, I simply just believe in being prepared in the worst conditions. By all means if it means it could save my fellow Marines I'll use anything whether I'm skilled with it or not to protect them. So by this i fail to see how I am an idiot for wanting to have weapons to protect the brave Marines next to me.

StevenF
04-01-11, 04:53 PM
Steven, it's way more than that, I think you realize.
I mean, do you honestly believe that this thread is about nothing more than one defending himself?
The fact is, we're getting a lot more BS threads than we've seen in a long time. I don't know whether it's due to a full moon, but its' a fact.

I'm sorry if this seems like a BS question to anyone here and I'm not trying to come off as disrespectful. I was just asking because I wanted to protect the Marines I'd be grouped with and be a credit to the United States Marine Corp. If you would all like I'll happily stop replying and let this slide away.

StevenF
04-01-11, 05:02 PM
No no, you don't have to slide away. You just want to protect the Marines you're with, and I'm sure they'll be very grateful for that protection, and there's nothing more to this than that. Okay.

Thank you Sir.

Wyoming
04-01-11, 05:23 PM
****!!!

Lisa 23
04-01-11, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry if this seems like a BS question to anyone here and I'm not trying to come off as disrespectful. I was just asking because I wanted to protect the Marines I'd be grouped with and be a credit to the United States Marine Corp. If you would all like I'll happily stop replying and let this slide away.

Yes, this does bother me.......it's United States Marine Corps......with an "s".

StevenF
04-01-11, 05:40 PM
Yes, this does bother me.......it's United States Marine Corps......with an "s".

Sorry Ma'am it won't let me edit it.

Lisa 23
04-01-11, 05:44 PM
Sorry Ma'am I'll go fix it now.

There's a 5 minute rule....anything after that, you can't fix.

I know we all making typing errors, it happens, but......Marine Corps is spelled out all over the site.

StevenF
04-01-11, 05:48 PM
There's a 5 minute rule....anything after that, you can't fix.

I know we all making typing errors, it happens, but......Marine Corps is spelled out all over the site.

Oh, I thought I hit the "s" key but I was mistaken. Sorry Ma'am.

Th3 Maelstr0m
04-01-11, 07:25 PM
Money says this is you on your first deployment.

But seriously, go in & learn from your team/squad leaders. theres a wealth of info & experience they can pass on to you. & dont mention throwing knives.

Tennessee Top
04-01-11, 11:10 PM
Wish somebody would fix that edit button and give us more than only 5 minutes...my brain housing group gets stuck in neutral sometimes.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-01-11, 11:17 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh.......I grow weary.

Throwing....knives. No kiddin?

With the 120 plus pounds of CRAP you have to carry, do you really, really, want to add weight to yourself? Trust me on this when I tell you, those knives will be left in the barracks or end up in the nearest pawn shop. Seriously.

In all my years in the fleet, grunt, comm, and even Intel....never oncet did I see a Marine carry 'throwing knives' of any sort or kind. And I served with some squirrely Marines at times LOL. I've seen K-Bars, high speed cutting knives, combat knives, and even, god help me, a Tomahawk (a fighting one that the Marine knew how to use) being carried....but no 'throwing knives'.

I suppose it's the 'call of duty/WoW' generation that has never had to hump all this crap for miles and miles that thinks added weight of a useless knife (can it chop wood? Open an MRE? Ammo box? Pry wire? Dig a hole?) isn't going to be that big a deal. To me, any knife that can't do the above things, or is 'single issue' (throwing knife, 'fighting' knife, assengai, whatever) is pretty well useless for what the average Grunt needs it for.

Throwing knives. Sigh.

brian0351
04-02-11, 03:13 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh.......I grow weary.

Throwing....knives. No kiddin?

With the 120 plus pounds of CRAP you have to carry, do you really, really, want to add weight to yourself? Trust me on this when I tell you, those knives will be left in the barracks or end up in the nearest pawn shop. Seriously.

In all my years in the fleet, grunt, comm, and even Intel....never oncet did I see a Marine carry 'throwing knives' of any sort or kind. And I served with some squirrely Marines at times LOL. I've seen K-Bars, high speed cutting knives, combat knives, and even, god help me, a Tomahawk (a fighting one that the Marine knew how to use) being carried....but no 'throwing knives'.

I suppose it's the 'call of duty/WoW' generation that has never had to hump all this crap for miles and miles that thinks added weight of a useless knife (can it chop wood? Open an MRE? Ammo box? Pry wire? Dig a hole?) isn't going to be that big a deal. To me, any knife that can't do the above things, or is 'single issue' (throwing knife, 'fighting' knife, assengai, whatever) is pretty well useless for what the average Grunt needs it for.

Throwing knives. Sigh.

You just said you saw all types of knives being carried. How is this one any different? Marines will do what Marines do. I knew a guy who carried the weight of a small coleman stove everywhere he went. I also knew someone who carried throwing knives, 3 of them in a small case that hung on his belt. It was no bigger than a leatherman case.

Why does everyone here have to debate/flame someone who asks a simple question? Out of 3 pages of BS, ONE guy legitimately answered his inquiry.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-02-11, 03:19 AM
And the 'legitimate' answer would be.....what, exactly?

It's not a 'flame', as in 'frak you, you moron'. How about this, why don't YOU come here day in and day out, for about 3 months or so, and repeatedly answer the various and sundry questions that float through here, instead of doing a 'drive by' every so often? There are a few of us who have been at this for literally, years. And yet we come back to answer, for the 100th time, the invariable 'Recon' question. Among many others.

Most of us DO strive to give good, reasonable answers to intelligent questions. And even, I dare say, to the NOT so intelligent ones.

Tennessee Top
04-02-11, 05:06 AM
This electronic meeting place happens to be a public forum where people ask/answer myriad questions and exchange ideas/experiences. Invariably, topics will be debated and views expressed. All of this is open to interpretation; what is BS to one person may be considered totally serious by another and we are all entitled to our own judgements.

Nobody forces anybody to log-on and read these threads. If you truely feel it's a bunch of BS why are you wasting your time here? Certainly, there are more constructive things you could be doing.

Tennessee Top
04-02-11, 11:23 AM
Well said Dave!

ammermda
04-02-11, 12:54 PM
Money says this is you on your first deployment.

LOL

Tennessee Top
04-02-11, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Top. We have to stick together.

Well, you gotta love corporals and sergeants going on master sergeants/first sergeants and sergeants major/master gunnery sergeants. They've been in for maybe one enlistment, done a hop or deployment, got a couple ribbons, sewed a few wild oats, and now they're as salty as a thirty-year career man. Of course, the internet provides them a lot more leeway than what they would actually ever say in person to their senior staff NCO's. Here, there is no fear of any repercussions and no chance of standing on the carpet in front of the man getting an attitude adjustment.

Now, don't get me wrong. Many junior Marines today are or have been foward deployed and served in combat which I never have and they have my total and utmost respect. The majority of those Marines are not the ones we're talking about here however.

USNAviator
04-02-11, 04:36 PM
Dave isn't "Throwing Knives" HIP's Indian name?

Old Marine
04-02-11, 04:51 PM
You just said you saw all types of knives being carried. How is this one any different? Marines will do what Marines do. I knew a guy who carried the weight of a small coleman stove everywhere he went. I also knew someone who carried throwing knives, 3 of them in a small case that hung on his belt. It was no bigger than a leatherman case.

Why does everyone here have to debate/flame someone who asks a simple question? Out of 3 pages of BS, ONE guy legitimately answered his inquiry.

Sounds like someone has very thin skin. If you do not like what is being said, then don't read it. Simple.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-02-11, 05:11 PM
Closed for the good of the order. FYI, we all stand guilty of violating site rules, starting, at minimum, with yours truly. However, as I was taught, 'There is a time and a place for everything'.

Sometimes a public admonishment is, in fact, called for.