PDA

View Full Version : New RAT boots being recalled

USNAviator
03-30-11, 07:41 PM
Marine Corps recalls new boots from war zone

The Marine Corps is recalling more than 8,000 of its new rugged all terrain boots — many of them being worn by troops in Afghanistan — after reports they are falling apart in the field, Marine Corps Times has learned. <form id="hidden"> <input id="headline" value="Marine Corps recalls new boots from war zone" type="hidden">
<input id="url" value="http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-boot-defect-rat-recall-033011w/" type="hidden">Problems with the hot-weather RAT boots include separation of stitching and glue at the seams, said Lt. Col. Kevin Reilly, the program manager for infantry combat equipment at Marine Corps Systems Command in Quantico, Va. Eyelets that allow the boots to breathe and drain water also are falling off.

“These failures are not due to the RAT boot’s design, but its manufacturing process and improper materials used in the manufacturing of the boot,” Reilly said.
</form>
“That’s what caused a durability issue.”

The RAT boot is set to become the Marine Corps’ new standard, with plans to add it to the sea bag in 2012. It will replace the Infantry Combat Boots that Marines have worn since 2002.

Old Marine
03-30-11, 08:25 PM
Must be made in China or Tiawon.

BauerBrat
03-30-11, 09:17 PM
Must be made in China or Tiawon.

Lowest bidder Gunny, lowest bidder! Yet I'm sure the political turds who took care of this got their cut :devious:

TheReservist
04-01-11, 03:30 PM
Lowest bidder Gunny, lowest bidder! Yet I'm sure the political turds who took care of this got their cut :devious:

More like lt. col...

chadhertz
04-01-11, 03:48 PM
Well thats reassuring knowing that I just got those from tap issue for this deployment...

hbharrison
04-01-11, 03:49 PM
When we received the first of the new jungle boot for VN they came apart quick so nothing new for the Gov/DOD. Low bid sucks!!!!!!

Mongoose
04-01-11, 04:21 PM
When we received the first of the new jungle boot for VN they came apart quick so nothing new for the Gov/DOD. Low bid sucks!!!!!!
I remember Butch. They turned white looking. Next thing you knew, you walked completely out of them.

SlingerDun
04-01-11, 04:48 PM
Low balling is a mistake for sure, Danner has built various military styles from their factory in Oregon and they sure don't give the product away. Are these RAT boots from the Danner USA factory?

SlingerDun
04-01-11, 06:04 PM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2011/03/marine-boot-defect-rat-recall-033011w/033011mc_boot_800.JPG (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2011/03/marine-boot-defect-rat-recall-033011w/033011mc_boot_800.JPG)

Bates-made versions of the RAT boot are being recalled.

crazymjb
04-04-11, 09:29 AM
I know guys who paid the $350 dollar sticker price for them, I can't wait to tell them. I'm glad I just got a nice set of insoles for my ICBs. If they weren't unfairly expensive I would have ordered a set.

Mike

ggyoung
04-04-11, 10:32 AM

The worst thing we received in Vietnam was the M-16

hbharrison
04-04-11, 11:18 AM
The worst thing we received in Vietnam was the M-16

Supply was told to send back all the 14's but the Col said to wait once we started to hear about the problems with the ammo for the 16's. It was one big load of cr*p.

chulaivet1966
04-04-11, 12:11 PM
Ahhh....the 'M16' mess.

Early March 1966....my unit test-fired that (IMO) Mattel device from the fantail of the USS Princeton LPH-5.
I was totally underwhelmed, it felt like a toy and I was quite relieved that we kept our trusty 10# M14.
The thought of being in a firefight and having to rely on an M16 as my weapon would not be an appealing situation.
I am familiar with all the **** that occurred with the M16 issues and sorry for those that HAD to use it.

Here she is....