PDA

View Full Version : I'll be damned.

mucho
03-30-11, 04:24 AM
I just saw some footage from MCRDSD and I swear I could smell and taste it!
Brought back alot of great memories. I would give anything to go back and do it all over again oorah!

EGTSpec
03-30-11, 07:38 AM
I'd like to go back for a visit and walk the same streets, and the grinder where I spent hours marching, smell the smells I associate with boot camp, stand where I stood on the yellow footprints, and in front of the theater where I stood on graduation, and see a graduation ceremony.

EGTSpec
03-30-11, 07:49 AM
Back to where they issued suntan lotion and sunglasses, rather than the tough tough MCRD Parris Island???? LOL
I went back to PI in 1996. You should really look into visiting SD sometime. They welcome Marines of all eras with open arms. They go out of their way to make you feel at home, really.Wife might call me crazy but I would consider it a cool vacation.

micarr57
04-01-11, 07:56 PM
got out in 79 went back out in 99 mcrd was cool pendelton and 29 palms were great
the trees at luckie park sure grew a lot in 20 years

jumpinjack
04-01-11, 08:12 PM
I went back for my Great nephew's Grad, in Nov 4th of 2009. Just looking at the grinder made my feet hurt, I heard a DI singing a very pretty cadance to his platoon, such memories, wasn't the same as back in 68, well not all. Was a wonder memory. My profile picture was from that day. I felt that old pride swell up in my chest when they asked for all Marines past, present to stand. Yes one a Marine always a Marine.

Semper Fi

Old Marine
04-01-11, 08:50 PM
I'd like to go back for a visit and walk the same streets, and the grinder where I spent hours marching, smell the smells I associate with boot camp, stand where I stood on the yellow footprints, and in front of the theater where I stood on graduation, and see a graduation ceremony.

Yep, you need to do it. You will not recognize the graduation they have these days. They do not have it at the theater any more. The now have a mini parade and are dismissed on the Parade Deck. Parents/reletives/spectators sit in the bleachers until the new Marines are dismissed. You will enjoy it.

SGT7477
04-01-11, 09:23 PM
Back to where they issued suntan lotion and sunglasses, rather than the tough tough MCRD Parris Island???? LOL
I went back to PI in 1996. You should really look into visiting SD sometime. They welcome Marines of all eras with open arms. They go out of their way to make you feel at home, really.
Are you dreaming again Dave, Semper Fidelis.:D

SGT7477
04-01-11, 09:36 PM
Had to say it, whenever SD/PI comes up. LOL
I'll never forget the rivalry between the two, with the same training schedule, but the jokes went on and on anyway.
I know they did but how can we compare or say one was tougher when we haven't been to both, I told a poolee if a Marine ever gets to both he must be Gomer Pyle, Semper Fidelis.:D

tracs1833
04-01-11, 10:17 PM
I graduated from the 'Island' on 1 Apr 1969. But, I always thought that we had it easier on at least one thing then the 'Hollywood' Marines. On the Island, you were secluded and alienated from the real world. From what I have heard, at SD you could actually see the real world outside the Depot everyday. I have often wondered how many boots at SD saw/heard a commercial airliner taking off and wished they were on it, no matter where it was going!

EGTSpec
04-02-11, 12:25 AM
I graduated from the 'Island' on 1 Apr 1969. But, I always thought that we had it easier on at least one thing then the 'Hollywood' Marines. On the Island, you were secluded and alienated from the real world. From what I have heard, at SD you could actually see the real world outside the Depot everyday. I have often wondered how many boots at SD saw/heard a commercial airliner taking off and wished they were on it, no matter where it was going!I could lay in my rack, and watch the planes taking off and landing about 300 yards away. Was like putting a restaraunt next to a Fat farm. Yeah, It sucked at the time. Wandered many a night if I would ever be on one of them. We used to run PT along the fence line separating San Diego airport from MCRD. On Google Earth you can zoom in and see just how close the airport was.

Tennessee Top
04-02-11, 01:14 AM
I also remember all the "freedom birds" taking off/landing at the airport bordering MCRD San Diego. Too scared to ever look at one but I heard them.

Going to MCRD PI this June for a graduation ceremony; will be my first time there...can't wait! Maybe I'll get bitten by one of the infamous sand fleas!!

TazMatt
04-02-11, 07:04 AM
Top when in June are you going?I am going the first Friday of June which is the 3rd and a graduation is on that day.I don't know anyone graduating but another Marine and I are going just to be going.If you are going the same time maybe we can hook up for a cup of coffee or something.
Sgt.Harris Mathis U.S.M.C. 69-75 (TazMatt)

tazMatt)

SGT7477
04-02-11, 07:38 AM
I graduated from the 'Island' on 1 Apr 1969. But, I always thought that we had it easier on at least one thing then the 'Hollywood' Marines. On the Island, you were secluded and alienated from the real world. From what I have heard, at SD you could actually see the real world outside the Depot everyday. I have often wondered how many boots at SD saw/heard a commercial airliner taking off and wished they were on it, no matter where it was going!
:thumbup:, Semper Fidelis.

ChuckH
04-02-11, 08:47 AM
I was there Feb 68 - April 68.

We had an earthquake when I was there, we were watching the skyscrapers in down town SD sway... no big deal as I was from San Francisco and used to that.. lol

Old Marine
04-02-11, 10:35 AM
I was there Feb 68 - April 68.

We had an earthquake when I was there, we were watching the skyscrapers in down town SD sway... no big deal as I was from San Francisco and used to that.. lol

I remember that shaker very well. Had my herd on the company street cutting belts for inspection when it started rocking & rolling. Watched the palm trees along the parade deck swaying. The company street was really rolling. Most of my platoon was from Ohio and never felt a shaker before. I told them to get on the parade deck, then when the ground opened up I could get rid of them. Most ran inside the quonset huts and got under their racks. The Depot Theater got closed as it had many cracks in it.:evilgrin:

ChuckH
04-02-11, 02:50 PM
I remember that shaker very well. Had my herd on the company street cutting belts for inspection when it started rocking & rolling. Watched the palm trees along the parade deck swaying. The company street was really rolling. Most of my platoon was from Ohio and never felt a shaker before. I told them to get on the parade deck, then when the ground opened up I could get rid of them. Most ran inside the quonset huts and got under their racks. The Depot Theater got closed as it had many cracks in it.:evilgrin:
Gunny, my senior DI was SSgt Duke, DI's were Sgt Lagree and Sgt Adams
Adams was a sadistic SOB who got relieved and got office hours,and a Sgt Harris took over for him until we graduated.
Did you happen to know any of them?

ChuckH
04-02-11, 03:05 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2468&pictureid=14112

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2468&pictureid=14113

Old Marine
04-02-11, 03:21 PM
I know Gentz and Duke. The others I do not know.

ChuckH
04-02-11, 03:36 PM
Being a recruit I didn't really see Gunny Gentz... Sgt Duke and Sgt Lagree... DAMN fine Marines!!!

Any of you Marines remember this part of boot camp?
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2468&pictureid=14119

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2468&pictureid=14118

Old Marine
04-02-11, 09:22 PM
Rifle & Duece issue.