PDA

View Full Version : Marines honor pilot killed in night crash

thedrifter
10-14-03, 05:50 AM
Marines honor pilot killed in night crash

By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 13, 2003

Capt. Theodore Treadwell was flying a night mission over the Mojave Desert when the tail of his helicopter fell off.

While the craft bucked and pitched, the Marine pilot based at Camp Pendleton calmed his crew over the intercom. Hold on, he told them, we'll land soon.

Treadwell kept the nose up long enough to crash-land the Huey on a sandy hillside 20 seconds later.

Treadwell, 29, and Staff Sgt. Roderick Nesmith died in the February 2002 crash. Two crewmen survived.

For his heroism and ability, the Marine Corps has posthumously awarded Treadwell the Distinguished Flying Cross, the top award for flying.

"No one could have piloted this aircraft with more expertise. It's remarkable that anyone walked away from that mishap," said Col. Stuart Knoll, commander of Marine Air Group 16, who recommended Treadwell for the decoration. "If it would have been a nice, flat area, he might have successfully landed and everybody might have walked away."

The medal, showing an airplane propeller over a stout cross, was presented to the pilot's widow and parents late last month. Treadwell was a Phoenix native. His widow, Jenny, is a Navy helicopter pilot.

The citation accompanying the award said:

"By his prodigious efforts, sterling performance, and unexcelled dedication to duty in the face of hazardous flying conditions, Capt. Treadwell reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

Treadwell's mother, Sandee, and his widow said the family is glad his talent and training saved other lives.

"Ted is a special hero to us," his mother said. "We are very moved by his extraordinary achievement and proud to be the family of one so honored to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross."

"Of course, Teddy would have given anything to be here with me instead, though it certainly means a lot to his family and me," Jenny Treadwell said.

An investigation found that a hinge had been improperly installed when the Huey was at an Army maintenance depot in Texas. Cracks formed as a result, causing the eventual tail failure, according to a June 2002 report.

After the tail fell off, Treadwell fought to keep the helicopter from spinning in circles and nose-diving. The breakup also knocked out the pilot's night-vision equipment. It was a dark night, and he would have had trouble seeing the ground rushing up.

Despite the chaos, a cockpit audiotape reveals Treadwell rising above panic, Knoll said.

"It's a natural instinct to try to save yourself, but he was talking over the intercom system to the crew right down to touchdown, telling them to hang on," the colonel said.

"I get a little choked up when I think about it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeanette Steele: (619) 718-5182; jen.steele@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20031013-9999_1m13cross.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: