PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with reenlistment question

rrswelch
03-28-11, 10:18 PM
My son is an 0311 LCPL soon to be promoted to CPL. He wll be doing his second deployment to Afghanistan in the next week or so. His 4 year enlistment will be completed in August 2012. So he will be in 3years this coming august. He has done very well and has no regrets at all about his enlistment.

So he is conflicted about staying in or getting out in august 2012. He is being told that he needs to make a decision about reenlisting now. Basically he is being told he needs to start paper work now and have it submitted by June 2011 if he wants to continue his marine career.

I'm skeptical and feel he is a good Marine and he would be able to wait until after this deployment (ends in November 2011) to make a decision.

Any advice, any other parents been through this before with their son or daughter have advice?

usmcdanno
03-29-11, 01:25 AM
Support him all the way every way. A career as a Marine is very rewarding and pays in the long run. If he loves the Corps...stay.....if he hates it, get out. You wouldn't believe the numbers of Marines who sat on the fence when reenlistment time came who regret not staying in. Their are droves of them trying to get back in now. He can serve outside of his MOS, stop deploying for a while, etc. Tell him to seek a "B" billet as a reenlistment incentive. MSG duty is a great three years of one's young life. If he's a good Marine, please encourage him to stay. Tell him to put his reenlistment package in as soon as possible, as incentives tend to dry up after the Corps gets closer to meeting it retention quota. My advice is to not wait after his next deployment. Get the approval for reenlistment as soon as possible. Just because he gets approval doesn't mean he has to commit. He will have to wait to reenlist until he under one year anyway.

Vandrel
03-29-11, 01:28 AM
My advice is to not wait after his next deployment. Get the approval for reenlistment as soon as possible. Just because he gets approval doesn't mean he has to commit. He will have to wait to reenlist until he under one year anyway.

Not to mention if his package is approved before or while he's deployed then he can possibly reup in country and get more money out of the deal.

devildog9009
04-14-11, 10:14 PM
Hello. I enlisted in the corps in 2008 and shipped 2009. I spent 4 months on parris island where i contracted cellulitus in my right foot and was hospitalized. I was on bed rest for nearly month and...

Lisa 23
04-14-11, 10:21 PM
How about filling out your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
RE-3P Failure to meet physical/ medical standards (includes pseudofolliculitis and weight standards). <br />

devildog9009
04-14-11, 10:47 PM
Yes i know all that and th:)ank you. I dont have a profile filled out yet because i just signed up on this site. I will soon. But my concern is what are chances? Ive been told by some recruiters i wont even be looked at and some say its possible. I got medicaly cleared by a doctor with x-rays. Im being told 2 different sides of the story here and its alittle unsettlIng not know which to expect.

Lisa 23
04-14-11, 11:21 PM
No profile...no answers. You may want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums while you're at it.

0331 2 0369
04-15-11, 07:11 AM
It it pretty freakin rude of you to post this in someone else's thread. You need to either search the site for more info or start another thread.

phoneman
04-15-11, 07:31 AM
back to the original post...

As a parent myself I would suggest that he goes through all the steps to prepare to stay in. He can always change his mind later but needs to keep his options available. Currently, as we are all aware, the job market is very poor in the outside world. Most prognosticators of these things, don't see it getting any better over the next few years. My son just left last week on his first deployment and the advice I have been giving him is the same I am giving you. The outside world is a pretty fickle place right now. You have a solid career in the Corp, don't mess it up because I am not supporting you when you get out. If he doesn't mind the deployments and can handle the rigidness of the military stay with it until things change on the outside. A place to live, meals, health benefits, are hard to find out here right now for anyone who is looking for a job.

Mike

Mike

Apache
04-15-11, 09:22 AM
Concurring with the solid choice
Start the reup process
Civilian world if flaky right now

Personal experience
Hired on in 1970 with a civilian firm-helped the retired Marine grow his business
Mustang. Started at the grunt level
Was at the Corporate level overseeing a national compliance program

Was called in to the office and told my job has been eliminated,here's your BOX

devildog9009
04-15-11, 12:32 PM
Well im sorry its not on my own thread. But i doing this on my phone and couldnts set one up of my own.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-15-11, 05:53 PM
Then, GET off the phone, follow the rules, and start your own thread. These posts will be deleted as not relevant to THIS one.