PDA

View Full Version : Rest or PT?

achilles097
03-28-11, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, I am rarely sick but I caught a cold from one of my buddies. I thought I would be able to work through it but overall I am feeling pretty weak. I'm not the sort to skip PT, but this is pretty bad. I ship off in 3 weeks, should I get my rest or continue to work through it? The reason I say 'work it off' is because I know in boot camp I'm going to have to work through it if i get sick.

holey336
03-28-11, 10:41 PM
id see if i could work through it. sometimes helps to make me feel better, sometimes makes it worse. judge how u feel and be safe, if u feel like you'll pass out, stop.

IHaveEGA843
03-29-11, 05:49 AM
REST

When I get sick I sweat it out the day it gets to its worst. Usually after that I will be good.

THERAFLU IS YOUR FRIEND along with VICKS VAPOR RUB!!!!!! BUY IT!!!!! USE IT!!!!!

You'll feel like new the next day but just with alot of mucus coming up.

Do the smart thing man, you can easily injure yourself or even make the cold worst because those pores will open up and let more in and if its cool/cold where you're at you seriously don't want it to turn into something else more serious. Take a day off on me.....I approve it

Bagwell916
03-29-11, 08:16 AM
PT it up. Just go light and do some indoor stuff. Crunches, Pushups, Pullups, etc. No reason to run with a cold at this point.

But remember, only you know your limits and what your body can handle.

C_Squash_D
03-29-11, 03:49 PM
I once heard that as long as you don't have any pain below your throat, you can still do PT. It does kind of suck when you have sh** in your nose and can only breath through your mouth, but I did it once, and it actually helped me a bit.

Also, what works amazing for me is taking showers when I'm sick. After every shower I feel a little bit more recovered.

Honcho1010
03-29-11, 04:56 PM
REST

When I get sick I sweat it out the day it gets to its worst. Usually after that I will be good.

THERAFLU IS YOUR FRIEND along with VICKS VAPOR RUB!!!!!! BUY IT!!!!! USE IT!!!!!

You'll feel like new the next day but just with alot of mucus coming up.

Do the smart thing man, you can easily injure yourself or even make the cold worst because those pores will open up and let more in and if its cool/cold where you're at you seriously don't want it to turn into something else more serious. Take a day off on me.....I approve it

:thumbup: :banana:

IHaveEGA843
03-29-11, 07:12 PM
SMH @ the "motivating" post....

Real talk man take it easy until you're 100%. Your body is doing the job of fighting off what you have so why put more stress on it?

Please use common sense please because if you're not going to then Recruit Training and life will be something you will not do well in.

achilles097
03-29-11, 07:29 PM
Recruit training I can understand but life? It's just a cold. Your advice on theraflu was spot on though, it's helping a lot. Again,I am rarely sick (maybe once a year or less) and didn't know whether to fight it off or rest. I I was in the middle of working on my PT and it was a bit of a letdown when I came down with this cold so close to my ship date and then my body felt weak. I did not know if it would be detrimental to try and PT through it. I received some great advice on this thread and in PMs and already feeling better I just wish this wasn't as close to my ship date.

IHaveEGA843
03-29-11, 07:37 PM
I was saying have common sense because if you lack it then making simple decisions will kill you in Recruit Training and in life in general.

What is one or two days from PT man? Seriously.....I could see if you would lose something but you're not. Just train harder if you need to make up for the training you missed on.

It will be detrimental if it went from a cold to the flu or pheumonia (SP?)

DudefromDiego
03-29-11, 09:36 PM
Rest. What harm will one day do? I DON'T PT 6 days of the week, and I'm still passing my IST's. A bit of a fatbody sure, but I just need to eat. I can't eat salads and all that healthy crap. That isn't food. That's what food eats. But I figure if I can pass my IST with hardly any exercise now, then once summer rolls around and I have time to do it all I can do is improve. One day off will not cause you to relapse. Sleep soundly.

Pwork703
03-29-11, 10:54 PM
I would say rest man...not worth it to let the cold stay any longer than it needs to with your ship date this close. If you weren't shipping for a few months I would say go for it just because you'll still have to PT at boot camp even if you're sick, so why not get used to it now. Just wait for it to pass but know that once your in RT (and from then on out) you won't have that luxury.

Tbrown10
03-30-11, 06:00 AM
I say workeven harder, your gonna be feeling like **** osme in boot camp, so give yourself the upper hand and get used to it, but i would take some kinda medicine before you workout to protect yourself.

IHaveEGA843
03-30-11, 07:29 AM
^^^Come on man lets be for real with this.....

There's a Marine at my job who has a daughter who is currently going through Recruit Training now and she caught a cold that turned into pheumonia(SP?) and they placed her in the medical platoon until she got better.

Do the smart thing.....

Tbrown10
03-30-11, 08:10 AM
^^^Come on man lets be for real with this.....

There's a Marine at my job who has a daughter who is currently going through Recruit Training now and she caught a cold that turned into pheumonia(SP?) and they placed her in the medical platoon until she got better.

Do the smart thing.....

Your probably right, but i wrestled in high school and we had to wrestle regardless whether we felt good or were sick or not, so im just kinda used to that mindset lol

USMC Infantry
03-30-11, 01:15 PM
1. Try doing some swimming (believe me this will be good for you)
2. Avoid Dairy products/ Milk in General (this will help you get over your cold faster)
3. Hot Soup and Tea!

robbyj
04-03-11, 07:53 PM
I think you should rest, there is an OCS that leads PT and he has a degree in a health related field and told me once that you shouldn't workout when your sick because its hard for your body to fight the illness and repair muscle at the same time.