PDA

View Full Version : Out of Shape Marines

USNAviator
03-28-11, 02:34 PM
Random screenings target out-of-shape Marines

By James K. Sanborn - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Mar 28, 2011 7:33:39 EDT
<form id="hidden"> <input id="headline" value="Random screenings target out-of-shape Marines" type="hidden">
<input id="url" value="http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-body-fat-weight-callout-032811w/" type="hidden">Senior Marine Corps leaders say they’re fed up with overweight Marines and lax commanders who fail to enforce the Corps’ appearance standards.
</form> Commandant Gen. Jim Amos directed the service’s inspector general to canvass the entire fleet and “ensure immediate compliance” with regulations, according to Marine administrative message 157/11. The IG’s assessment begins immediately. It will include random weigh-ins and last through mid-July, according to the MARADMIN. Findings are due to Amos on Aug. 1.

No exceptions

Current body fat limits for Marines start at 18 percent for men and 26 percent for women. Those limits increase slightly with age, up to 21 percent for men and 29 percent for women. Before the Corps tightened the rules in 2008, Marines with first-class PFT scores could slide a few percentage points. Now, no matter how capable a Marine is physically, there are no exceptions.

The BCP, which includes fitness and nutrition instruction, targets Marines who fail to meet height and weight standards. They are given six months on the program to shape up, after which they are retested. If they flunk again, they get another six months in the program. If after a year of formal guidance they still do not meet standards, they can be separated from the service.

Many Marines consider the BCP a likely career killer.

hbharrison
03-28-11, 02:58 PM
It would appear the Commandant is p*ssed over the fat. Glad I am not in, oh well could not pass the PFT or the fat thingy.:scared::p

chulaivet1966
03-28-11, 03:22 PM
Mornin' all....I'll bump this one.

Well...in only reading your post on this matter I don't have any problem with the need to address this issue.

Later....

Mongoose
03-28-11, 04:18 PM
I talked to my son thats in the Navy Sat. He told me they did a random weigh in on them last week. Those that failed have one month to get right.

Old Marine
03-28-11, 04:37 PM
I talked to my son thats in the Navy Sat. He told me they did a random weigh in on them last week. Those that failed have one month to get right.

Good thing Zumwalt is not running the Navy show these days.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-28-11, 06:53 PM
Nothing new, they would check our weight all the time, the ones who were overweight were put on remedial pt with a butter bars Lt. running the show, they would also give 6 months to lose the weight, Semper Fidelis.

Osotogary
03-28-11, 07:13 PM
Good evening. There was a random height, weight check for all the U.S.M.C. Recruiters here in the Ft.Lauderdale/South Florida Region this last Thursday AM. I thought that it was going to be for a PFT performance and evaluation but the "hurry up and wait" was to get everyone assembled and then selected if the last number on the certain SS numbers ended with a certain number(s). I left close to the 1200 hour, as did several other Marines, but there were other Marines still milling around "Headquarters". I was playfully asked if I wanted to weigh myself. I respectfully declined mentioning that I could put one foot on the scale and know that I was over weight. LOL (sad but true). Looks like someone is quite serious about physical appearance and conditioning.
Adios, for now.
Gary

Marine84
03-28-11, 08:27 PM
Glad I am not in, oh well could not pass the PFT or the fat thingy.:scared::p

You or me either one - LOL!

Covey_Rider
03-28-11, 09:32 PM
The only issue I may see coming from this are the Marines who are complete gym freaks. With the way they were "calculating" body fat while I was in, was merely measuring their neck and waste line and then comparing that with height and weight. So the Marines who were devoted to keeping in shape, who were overweight due to so much muscle, would also fail the false calculations of body fat. They would run 275+ PFT's but be overweight and not meet body fat standards. Of course the commands would realize the situation and let them be. However with this new way of doing things, they are stating that physical performance will not play a factor in the decisions that commands are having to make. I hope that good Marines don't get burned for this.

On a good note, I'm really glad that somebody is cracking down on all the fatties.

hrscowboy
03-28-11, 09:42 PM
I am not as lean but alot more Mean..

rwest158497
03-29-11, 05:50 AM
Having Spent Time In The "pork Chop Platoon" At Boot Camp And Later In The Fmf, I Feel The Amount Of Time Given To Lose The Weight Is Fair. You Dont Become " A Distgusting Fatbody" Overnight So It Shouild Not Be That Tough To Loose The Weight If You Want Too. The Appearence Of A Marine In Uniform Is Important And He Or She Should Look Good In Uniform.

chulaivet1966
03-29-11, 08:38 AM
That's correct.....one does not get fat 'overnight'.
It takes months/years of no self respect or discipline.
In the civilian world 2 pounds a week is the safe way to start losing weight otherwise loose skin becomes an unsightly problem as it's lost it's elasticity.

That all begins in by eating smart as a way of life and not thinking about it as a temporary 'diet', so to speak.
If a Marine is relegated to the 'fat farm' then that equation might be slightly different because of the physical demands.
Personally, I've never been fat or allowed myself to get fat.
I have my own self image to maintain and (as we all know) anything worth a **** in life comes with some sacrifice and discipline.

As someone else noted I (also) would NOT like to be a Marine these days for a few reasons which would leave me out of the 'politically correct' fold.

A good day to all....

EGTSpec
03-29-11, 11:13 AM
Aint no way this lard azz could pass a PFT now. Although during my time in I was a first classer. Our CO at the time had a policy that if you were a first class PFTer, you didn't have to run PT with your platoon every morning. I liked running alone as opposed to running in a platoon. We had a guy in our company that worked out all the time and lifted weights. Looked like the guy in "Heartbreak Ridge". Had to have his uniforms tailered to fit his body. He was at one point recommended for being overweight. Once the CO got a look at him that went away in a hurry.