PDA

View Full Version : Military Police Question

Jeremy R K
03-25-11, 04:47 PM
Hello Marines, since this is my first post/thread let me start by thanking you for your service to our country. My name is Jeremy, and for a while I have been very interested in joining the Corps. At first I was going to go in as a light vehicle/diesel mechanic but I have had a change of heart and intend on going in as an MP. My question to the Leatherneck community is first, if there are any Marines that were responsible for this occupation in the Corps, how were their experiences , and if they recommend it for someone potentially wanting to become a state trooper following their military time? Thank you in advance!

devilbones2
03-25-11, 09:52 PM
Here is some advice no matter what you end up doing. If you decide to join the Marine Corps, please be sure that you first and foremost commit to becoming a Marine. If you are fresh out of high school the first four years of your enlistment are going to be the fastest four years of your life to date. Sometimes people join the military to become a cop or state trooper but dont actually end up doing that so choosing a job in the military is important but not a decision that should be the 'why' of your motivation for joining. You should do something that you will enjoy doing, something that will challenge you, if you become a Marine you will have a solid foundation no matter what you choose to become. You will experience and military training that will give you preferential treatment if you decide to become law enforcement. Focus on your short term goals and your long term goals will fall into place. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Jeremy R K
03-26-11, 11:57 AM
Here is some advice no matter what you end up doing. If you decide to join the Marine Corps, please be sure that you first and foremost commit to becoming a Marine. If you are fresh out of high school the first four years of your enlistment are going to be the fastest four years of your life to date. Sometimes people join the military to become a cop or state trooper but dont actually end up doing that so choosing a job in the military is important but not a decision that should be the 'why' of your motivation for joining. You should do something that you will enjoy doing, something that will challenge you, if you become a Marine you will have a solid foundation no matter what you choose to become. You will experience and military training that will give you preferential treatment if you decide to become law enforcement. Focus on your short term goals and your long term goals will fall into place. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Thank you sir! I appreciate your insight and opinion. I actually didn't finish high school and I am actually 22(birthday was last Tuesday). I did get my GED and I do have over 15 college credits as I attended a local community college for a couple of semesters for Criminal Justice. I will look into various MOS's a bit more but I am pretty content on being an MP. Also, you better believe, that if I sign my name on that final contract I will be doing so because I want to be a Marine. If anyone has anything to say based on experience as an MP or just in general feel more then welcome to. Thank you.
- Jeremy

Mwhite732
03-27-11, 01:55 PM
Take the ASFAB and see what you get first. MP is a low scoring job, not that its bad. There are some pretty awesome jobs out there you might be interested in. So leave your mind open until your recruiter gives you that list and lookup your options online/ask some questions here. MP's take alot of crap for there job, It's just like cops in the civilian world. You would be ticketing Marines though. Giving them DWI's, etc. Ruining peoples careers.

Zulu 36
03-27-11, 02:30 PM
Military Police in the Marine Corps has changed significantly from when I was an MP (1970s). More and more garrison law enforcement is being taken over by the Marine Corps Police (civil service).

MPs are becoming even more field and combat oriented than before. Convoy security, EPW handling, rear area protection, etc. Much like infantry, but with some police authority.

You don't have to be an MP to become a cop in the civilian world. It helps if you apply for the Marine Corps Police (last I checked, they only take Marine vets and Marine retirees). Just having been a Marine in any MOS is a big plus on your job application for police work.

Marines have a well deserved rep for self-discipline, individual initiative, and ability to work as a team-member. These are very big things for the hiring authority when they are considering your application.

Jeremy R K
03-27-11, 08:09 PM
Take the ASFAB and see what you get first. MP is a low scoring job, not that its bad. There are some pretty awesome jobs out there you might be interested in. So leave your mind open until your recruiter gives you that list and lookup your options online/ask some questions here. MP's take alot of crap for there job, It's just like cops in the civilian world. You would be ticketing Marines though. Giving them DWI's, etc. Ruining peoples careers.

I understand. I appreciate your opinion and I will definitely keep my options open. I'm not looking to ruin anyones career, just to establish my own.

- Jeremy

Jeremy R K
03-27-11, 08:24 PM
Military Police in the Marine Corps has changed significantly from when I was an MP (1970s). More and more garrison law enforcement is being taken over by the Marine Corps Police (civil service).

MPs are becoming even more field and combat oriented than before. Convoy security, EPW handling, rear area protection, etc. Much like infantry, but with some police authority.

You don't have to be an MP to become a cop in the civilian world. It helps if you apply for the Marine Corps Police (last I checked, they only take Marine vets and Marine retirees). Just having been a Marine in any MOS is a big plus on your job application for police work.

Marines have a well deserved rep for self-discipline, individual initiative, and ability to work as a team-member. These are very big things for the hiring authority when they are considering your application.

Good evening sir, I do remember reading somewhere on the internet that MPs were in fact being used for more then just upholding Military Law. This isn't a problem for me, to be honest im intrigued by it. I know I wouldn't want a job in the civilian world behind a desk. I like to be active and constantly busy. I will however continue to weigh my options as this is an extremely important decision. It's unfortunate that I'm unable to converse with an MP of more recent. Nevertheless, I appreciate your wisdom.

- Jeremy