PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Guide and Plattoon Sgt in DEP and in the fleet

jeonpaolo
03-24-11, 10:05 PM
Hey all,
Was wondering whats the Difference between Guide and Platoon Sgt in DEP and in the fleet in terms of responsibilities and duties?

At my Rss right now im the guide and another poolee in the Platoon Sgt. Was wondering what would be some of the differences in terms our responsibilities and duties and whatnot.

Same thing for when you are in the fleet. What would be the difference between the Guide and Platoon Sgt in terms of responsibilities and duties and stuff.

Thanks!

josephd
03-24-11, 10:27 PM
ummm....the difference is huge between whatever you and this other poolee do and what a real Plt. Sgt. does and a guide does.

Plt. Sgt.'s job/billet is to make sure all the Marine in his platoon are properly trained and taken care of. A guides job is like the Plt. Sgt.'s of sorts but with less responsibility, he will be there to answer questions, train, and direct in place of the Plt. Sgt. To put it a bit more simple, Plt. Sgt's job is much more administrative.

I was a fire team leader in my platoon, I take care of 3 Marines under me. It may not sound like much but it is quite a responsibility. A squad leader will take care of up to about 16-20 Marines, and Plt. Sgt. will cover about 50 Marines.

Not to knock what you and this other poolee are doing but again what you are doing in these roles is nowhere near what it would be like for holding that billet in the fleet, especially within an infantry unit.

jeonpaolo
03-24-11, 10:54 PM
Oh right on Lance Cpl thanks....by the way is the poolee platoon sgt supposed to be running right next to the guide during a formation run in the DEP? how about when in the fleet?

josephd
03-25-11, 12:02 AM
Oh right on Lance Cpl thanks....by the way is the poolee platoon sgt supposed to be running right next to the guide during a formation run in the DEP? how about when in the fleet?

it doesn't matter really, usually a Plt. Sgt. will be out calling cadence, leading from the very front, or in the very back making sure no one falls out.

And as far as this "guide" thing goes, most platoons don't have a "guide". A guide is mostly a boot camp and MCT thing. From what I have seen in the real world Marine Corps the guide position is for that extra Sgt. or senior Cpl. in the platoon that doesn't have a squad leader, fire team leader, or some other leadership billet. It really isn't anything special.

jeonpaolo
03-25-11, 12:03 AM
Ahhhh alright thanks LCPL