PDA

View Full Version : Broadband from the electric company? No thanks

Sgt Sostand
10-13-03, 10:18 AM
Electric power companies, wanting to become the nation's newest broadband Internet providers, are asking the Federal Communications Commission for permission to send high-speed data over their power grids.

Networking power

Hardware that lets you connect your office or home PCs over existing electrical wiring is perfectly OK. These two Editor's Choice products will help you do just that.

NETGEAR Powerline XE602 - network adapter

Siemens SpeedStream Powerline 802.11b Wireless Access Point

THAT MIGHT SEEM like a good thing for businesses and consumers, because it could offer them another affordable option for Internet service. It could also intensify competition, potentially lowering or at least stabilizing the cost of broadband service.

But the effort is controversial, particularly among other users of the radio spectrum. The problem is that the technology--called broadband power line, or BPL--could create radio interference well beyond current FCC limits. Public safety agencies, the military, operators of long-range aircraft, television and shortwave broadcasters, and amateur radio operators are all concerned that BPL could interfere with their communications.

But aren't we already using power lines to transmit data? Well, yes, we are. I'm doing so right now, using power-line networking in my home to extend my office network without having to string Ethernet cable. The technology I'm using is called HomePlug and it works pretty well, without any discernible interference problems. HomePlug is currently limited to speeds in the 802.11b range, but proponents already have plans for speeds comparable to 802.11a or g and beyond.

The power companies want to use a different technology, called Access BPL, to serve whole communities with Internet service. Moving data over the power network means transmitting radio signals over the power grid, alongside the electrical current.

So long as those radio waves stay on the electrical grid, everything is happy. But radio waves have minds of their own and, given a chance, will use the power lines as long antennas and launch off into the ether.

THAT'S WHERE things get messy.

BPL uses frequencies between 2MHz and 80MHz to carry the broadband data. Those are the same frequencies used by the public safety agencies, military, aircraft operators, and broadcasters I mentioned above. Groups representing these various constituencies are weighing in against Access BPL.

The HomePlug system I'm using is non-controversial, thanks to engineering decisions that limit interference and because of the small size and scale of such systems. Access BPL, however, would be much larger and more powerful, and the wiring is much more likely to become a de facto transmitting antenna.

Japan has already decided, based on interference studies done there, that the time is not yet right for Access BPL, pending improvements in the technology. The BBC, in a test in the UK, found BPL to cause significant interference.

The ARRL, the U.S. organization of amateur radio operators, is opposed to BPL, saying it will negatively impact virtually all of the nation's 600,000 licensed ham radio operators. The group (of which I'm a life member) says Access BPL would seriously hamper the ability of hams to provide emergency communications--an important component of homeland security.

The FCC is now considering whether the time is right for Access BPL and what technical standards should be imposed. It's not yet clear what compromises, if any, are possible.

AS A PC USER, I stand to benefit from Access BPL, the way I'm already benefiting from HomePlug. But, as much as I'd like more connectivity options, I don't think we should pay the price of interfering with all these other forms of communication.

For that reason, I'm asking the FCC to let power lines remain just that and leave broadband Internet to the cable television and telephone companies whose technologies best support it.

If you wish to join me, you can file your comments with the FCC using its Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS). As explained on the ARRL Web site, you go to the ECFS main page, click on Submit a Filing, enter "03-104" in the Proceeding field, then complete the form as indicated. You can also submit comments via e-mail; instructions are on the ECFS page.

The ARRL has also created a complete tutorial, which contains links to BPL interference studies, a discussion of BPL technology, as well as links to comments filed with the FCC and other official information.

:banana: