PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted with a degree?

WarriorSpirit
03-23-11, 08:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have respect for each of you. I graduated college in August 10' I've been in my local O.C.S. pool since around that time. Lately I've really been considering enlisting because I've been in that pool for about 7 months. I feel like I'm waisting time that could be used for training and experience since I'm a 24 Y/O in decent shape. They are saying a June ship for Quantico but I have my doubts. I think it would be a good move to enlist. I've read the arguments, and I'm aware of the facts of both. Perhaps MECEP or another commissioning program? The collar weight doesnt concern me. I only want to earn the EGA and demonstrate that I'm not just another hoity-toity college kid with no real world experience. I'm proud to say I worked through school and for everything I have. I didn't want to start one of those Enlisted vs. O.C.S. arguments but I only ask for your own valuable personal opinion.

Ooh-Rah,
Stanley

Matlock09
03-23-11, 09:22 PM
I highly suggest you wait and try OCS. Go with your instinct. In my experience nowadays MECEP isn't as easy to get as everyone makes it out to be.

USNAviator
03-23-11, 09:28 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have respect for each of you. I graduated college in August 10' I've been in my local O.C.S. pool since around that time. Lately I've really been considering enlisting because I've been in that pool for about 7 months. I feel like I'm waisting time that could be used for training and experience since I'm a 24 Y/O in decent shape. They are saying a June ship for Quantico but I have my doubts. I think it would be a good move to enlist. I've read the arguments, and I'm aware of the facts of both. Perhaps MECEP or another commissioning program? The collar weight doesnt concern me. I only want to earn the EGA and demonstrate that I'm not just another hoity-toity college kid with no real world experience. I'm proud to say I worked through school and for everything I have. I didn't want to start one of those Enlisted vs. O.C.S. arguments but I only ask for your own valuable personal opinion.

Ooh-Rah,
Stanley

Stanley if you get to OCS and TBS that "hoity-toity" attitude will be adjusted, guaranteed. Stay where you are, enjoy the view it will change soon enough

Good luck to you

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 10:52 PM
Locked until I see a profile.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-24-11, 01:42 AM
Profile completed...thank you! Unlocked.

WarriorSpirit
03-24-11, 02:04 AM
Thank you! Oh yes and apologies on my part for the use of "Ooh-Rah" it was brought to my attention that is against the rules of this forum of which I have now read. The responses are great though. I guess I've grown tired of the waiting game and become ready to be reformed. I have two Army O.C.S. friends who also advised me to wait the additional 2 months and almost all enlisted personnel agree as well. I'm praying that I do get a spot for the summer class that would be a dream come true.

iamspartacus
03-24-11, 01:30 PM
From What I hear, people wanting to enlist aren't exactly getting a fast track either. Stick with OCS.

DrZ
03-24-11, 01:38 PM
Stan,
There are many things that need to be weighed here prior to making a final decision. What do you want to do for the next X number of years? Can you survive on what a E1 makes? Can you be a good Officer of Marines? Do you need 4 years being enlisted to learn how to be a leader? Is your degree in something that is valuable to the Marines and can you get a MOS in that field?

You have some soul searching to do and determine exactly what you want first. 90% of those here will tell you to go officer since being an E1 or an E2 sucks big. Depending on your field....sometimes that sucks big goes up to include E3.

Determine EXACTLY what you want. Talk to both an OSO and a recruiter and find out who has the best offer for you based on what you want to do in the Marines.

Armed with that information, you will be able to make an educated and logical decision.

Good luck either way.

03Mike
03-24-11, 07:15 PM
Stan,
You have some soul searching to do and determine exactly what you want first...

Determine EXACTLY what you want. Talk to both an OSO and a recruiter and find out who has the best offer for you based on what you want to do in the Marines.

Armed with that information, you will be able to make an educated and logical decision.

Good luck either way.

Sound advice - that's pretty much the same thing I was going to post.