PDA

View Full Version : BIC, Billets, and LAR

Daedalus2040
03-23-11, 02:35 PM
Okay, I am new with this whole BIC thing. I'm used to Admin just being able to punch in whatever for a Marine's billet description. That being said, I am a Sergeant in LAR serving as a Platoon Sergeant (an E-7 billet in LAR's case). I have done it for a couple months now, and I noticed my billet description had still not changed so I called my Admin shop. I figured this would be important mainly in terms of my Fitness Reports and Master Brief Sheet, especially since I'm working my ass off. But, they told me that things are changing now and they cannot list me as a Platoon Sergeant because I don't have the rank. So now I'm ****ed off because of this. Maybe its because I don't entirely understand this or because I'm still a relatively new Sergeant. Or both. Somebody elighten me please.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 11:24 PM
That, quite honestly, sounds stupid to me. I held the BILLET of Platoon Sergeant in a Comm Company (in the old FSSG), for over 3 months. Normally a Gunny job, I did it as a three striper. Got it on my fitrep. Did it in the Comm Plt as well, held 'Acting OIC' AND Plt Sgt (Didnt have an OIC and SNCOIC was at the Staff Academy). All of those showed up on my fitreps.

I don't blame ya...I'd be pizzed off too. Make damn sure your OIC, if you can't get it fixed, makes mention of it in the comments section.

Daedalus2040
03-24-11, 09:39 AM
Maybe the Marine Corps is doing things this way because too many people were inflating their fitreps? I'll have to keep looking in to it. I'll definitely have to talk all I can about it in my remarks section though.

DJ860420
03-24-11, 10:25 AM
The BIC is to tell the monitors what position you are filling in the commands T/O. If they put you as the E-7 billet in MOL, then the monitors wouldn't send the E-7 you need because that position is being filled. For your fitrep, you and the RS/RO make up your billet and billet description, it is not pulled from MOL.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-24-11, 05:48 PM
I KNEW someone would explain this better....

MattMorrison
03-25-11, 12:13 PM
Don't even sweat it. What your BIR/BTR says is relatively umimportant when it comes to the selection board. What matters most is what is written on your FitRep. If it discusses your billet you'll be good. Just make sure that your RS included something in his remarks that mentions your serving in a billet above your pay grade. I had a few like that and it makes a difference, for sure.

Daedalus2040
03-25-11, 01:48 PM
Rah, thank you everyone for all the good input. I'll just make sure my remarks section is well formed on my fitrep.