PDA

View Full Version : Need some help choosing MOS

Tony20111024
03-22-11, 09:13 PM
Hello Marines. I've come a long way and I've been trying to get into the Marines for eight months but I had so many altercations holding me back. So I just got back from MEPs and swore in. Very excited and motived. Now I know this a decision based off myself but I'm going to elaborate and hopefully I can get some words of wisdom. Originally I wanted to fly in the helicopters as a crewchief and unfortunately AG contract wasn't available to me because my MM and GT didn't quite measure up to it but it was very close. I can't begin to tell you how determined I am to get this contract but at the same time I'm more determined to become a Marine. However what was offered to me was (BA)Aviation Electronics Technician. Now from what my recruiter tells me.. if your in the airwing you can always become an Aerial Observer and get flight time. What I'm wondering is if this is realistic chances that I will be able to do that during my first enlistment. Now my recruiter told me I can retake the ASVAB in 30 days to get the score for AG but he discourages me doing that because he thinks I might score lower and be kicked out of DEP or have fewer job choices than I already do. My main concern is that I'm going to be stuck doing one thing over and over. I want to take advantage of my enlistment as much as possible and work billets like physical fitness instructor or martial arts instructor. While I know no one can answer this question for me at an absolute level I would greatly appreciate some words of wisdom now knowing my ambitions and what I want to get out of the Marines. Thank you

Other jobs that were offered to that I'm considering.

CA - Motor Transport
CD - Equipment/Vehicle Repair Option
CE - Combat Supper(AAVs/Tanks)
CF - Ordnance Technician/Metal Works
CM - Construction/Utilities Option
DB - Communications/Electrician

Amtracker1833
03-22-11, 09:31 PM
While MCMAP instruction comes with rank, Avionics comes with a long school, and a longer enlistment, I am CE, Combat support i am an AAV Crewcheif, I wouldn't know much about the other MOS's because of course i'm not in them, If you think you can get a higher ASVAB score then retake it, Oh and by the way, As an Amtracker you are the only Unit in the military that does what we do, no one else comes close.

Devil1087
03-22-11, 09:33 PM
Well it depends dude, what did you score on the ASVAB? I recommend studying and going for AG dude, it's the only contract you can get that guarantees a crew chief MOS. Every Marine I know says that...

Lisa 23
03-22-11, 10:41 PM
If you haven't already, try doing a search on the site. These MOS's have been covered before.

Tony20111024
03-24-11, 12:33 PM
Appreciate the feedback everyone.

USMC 3531
03-25-11, 07:28 PM
I cant really help you out with the other ones beacuse im not in those mos. Motor Transport if you like to drive, drive for long periods of time then its for you. Also in Motor T. there are many diffrent things you could drive from the basic hummvee to a recker truck. All up to you and good luck.

Old Marine
03-25-11, 07:47 PM
There will be many things you will take with you when you leave the Marine Corps, but what do you have to give to the Corps. Your post sounds like its all about you. When you commit to the Corps, be fully prepared to take the good with the bad. No job is perfect as you will find out.

Tony20111024
03-25-11, 08:27 PM
There will be many things you will take with you when you leave the Marine Corps, but what do you have to give to the Corps. Your post sounds like its all about you. When you commit to the Corps, be fully prepared to take the good with the bad. No job is perfect as you will find out. Absolutely.. forgive me if that did sound selfish. It's just been stressful this whole week with family speaking I'm only seventeen. It's a huge decision and I just want to do it right.

Tony20111024
04-03-11, 08:41 PM
Now I've been reading that if you are in the airwing you can apply to become a crewchief or aerial observer. I have down Avionics right now.. what are my chances of getting fly time and earning my wings within my 5 year term? Will they take in account my ASVAB scores when selecting lateral transfers. Because as of now I don't qualify for AG because of my ASVAB line scores.

Devil1087
04-03-11, 09:05 PM
Probably not if you're Avionics, my advice stands. Study hard, and take it again. Yes your ASVAB will be taken into account any time you try to lat move. Which is why I strongly recommend you take it slow and work to qualify yourself rather than meet your recruiters quota.

Matlock09
04-03-11, 09:49 PM
Now from what my recruiter tells me.. if your in the airwing you can always become an Aerial Observer and get flight time.
No that will never happen. I am in the Air Wing myself and have never heard or seen anyone get to do that nor know what "Aerial Observer" is used for. Dont be fooled.

Tony20111024
04-04-11, 09:19 AM
No that will never happen. I am in the Air Wing myself and have never heard or seen anyone get to do that nor know what "Aerial Observer" is used for. Dont be fooled.

All I needed to hear. My recruiter actually went open contract and got put in the wing said he ended up getting stuck behind a desk and asked to be put as an aerial observer and got it. But now I know that the chances are slim to none. Guess my recruiter just got lucky.

Tony20111024
04-04-11, 09:22 AM
Probably not if you're Avionics, my advice stands. Study hard, and take it again. Yes your ASVAB will be taken into account any time you try to lat move. Which is why I strongly recommend you take it slow and work to qualify yourself rather than meet your recruiters quota.
Exactly what I'm going to do... ordered a study book and I will get rocking on it as soon as it comes. My recruiter has worked with me for the longest time trying to get me and now I'm in and demanding things.. Just feel it's not right but I will retake it and push my shipdate back if I have to. Thanks.

Tony20111024
04-05-11, 09:41 PM
Well I just got back from the recruiting station and had a long talk with actually all the recruiters in the office. They told me their going to try their best to make me eligible to retake the ASVAB and talk to the chain of command. But from the looks of it I'm thinking it will get denied but I'm hoping for the best. What are the chances of lateral transfer.. I get two different types of answers when I ask other Marines and Poolees this. Either no not at all or yeah it happens just have to talk to your chain of command. Just want to be an aerial observer/crewchief. My recruiter went in open contract and ended up in aviation logistics I believe. Kept telling his chain of command that he didn't want this at all and studied his ass off learning his job better than everyone else and got to be an aerial observer while keeping his original MOS at the same time. So I would really appreciate some feedback on this one. Thanks

Lisa 23
04-05-11, 10:25 PM
For now, why don't you focus more on getting through boot camp, MCT and your MOS school.

Tony20111024
04-06-11, 11:16 AM
For now, why don't you focus more on getting through boot camp, MCT and your MOS school. Aye sir. Been focusing on everything but this is definitely a big concern of mine.

Lisa 23
04-06-11, 01:31 PM
Aye sir.

http://thumb15.shutterstock.com/thumb_small/60559/60559,1255987592,2/stock-photo--d-rendering-of-a-cool-and-funny-emoticon-who-shows-the-way-with-an-arrow-with-clipping-path-and-39194275.jpg Check again.....look at my avatar.

Tony20111024
04-06-11, 04:33 PM
http://thumb15.shutterstock.com/thumb_small/60559/60559,1255987592,2/stock-photo--d-rendering-of-a-cool-and-funny-emoticon-who-shows-the-way-with-an-arrow-with-clipping-path-and-39194275.jpg Check again.....look at my avatar.

Lol my apologies ma'am. Should of noticed that one.

Devil1087
04-06-11, 06:50 PM
For now, why don't you focus more on getting through boot camp, MCT and your MOS school.

Uh because as a poolee he needs to get his chit together now so he can focus on boot camp instead of stressing about his MOS.