PDA

View Full Version : JAG after working

tsquare
03-22-11, 09:01 PM
I'm graduating law school this year, going to a top firm, and am thinking about what I want to do after. I've always wanted to join the military for the leadership training, and the opportunity to do public service.

Most people join JAG out of law school, but I'm thinking about joining JAG after working 2-3 years at a firm. However, I haven't been able to find any info on this path, and I'm hoping someone here has some insight as to both the mechanics and the wisdom of doing this.

Another concern is that I will be 28-29 by that time, and the Marines official website says that the cutoff for OCS is 28. The website also says exceptions are made. Someone tells me on another board that 30 is pretty much the strict limit.

By way of background, my law school is ranked in the top 10, and my firm is one of the more selective ones in the country. My grades are pretty good.

(BTW, I'm thinking about the Marines b/c I want to do OCS, and not just basic training followed by being a desk jockey. I mean, my reasons for wanting to join the military have nothing to do with being a lawyer.)

YourPhoneIsMine
03-22-11, 10:42 PM
You can talk to a recruiter in your area and ask him to refer you to the local Officer Selection Officer (funny name, I know). He'll have the best answers for you in regards to the mechanics, I believe.

As to the wisdom, I dunno dude. You might find life at the firm too enthralling to want to leave or you might get tired of it in a year. Depends on your outlook on the profession and the reasons you want to join. The money is also a big issue; even going the officer route it's hard going from a cushy salary to what the military pays.

Assuming you're in a top firm and you're coming from a top 10 school I'm guessing you'll be breaking 90 at the bare minimum in 2-3 years. Trust me: that kind of drop requires some serious planning if your lifestyle matches your income. :p

Waivers these days are hard to come by because there are strength draw downs in the works and all but I have no idea if officers have to deal with the same issues or even if legal officers have an even greater leeway in the matter. Another question that would be best directed to the OSO.

fair warning: you're going to catch crap for not filling out a profile. enjoy :bunny:

Tennessee Top
03-22-11, 11:19 PM
No profile no answers.

tsquare
03-22-11, 11:29 PM
Thanks Phone. Eventually I will speak with an OSO, but I wanted to get some quick and dirty advice first.

Yes, ultimately it comes down to my goals and priorities. And yes, money is an issue--even more than what you've stated.

That said, many young lawyers leave firms around the 3-5 year mark, for various reasons, mostly involving the soul-crushing nature of the work, and the hours. And most take significant pay cuts in doing so, although probably not as significant as what this path would entail.

I know generally the pros and cons of NOT pursuing this route. What I don't know is what being a JAG in the Marines is like, compared to a JAG in the other services, to being non-JAG officer, etc.

And I'm filling out my profile now!

USNAviator
03-23-11, 06:26 AM
Try this link. It's similar to LN all you have to do is register. The MOS for Marine JAG is 4402

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

There is an attorney on here who was Air Force JAG but he doesn't like to talk about it.......sorry Dave :D

USNAviator
03-23-11, 07:31 AM
The a fore mentioned attorney who doesn't like to talk

Dave if he goes to work for three years or so won't his age factor into it? I'll assume he's 25 or 26 now

USNAviator
03-23-11, 07:49 AM
Yes, he might be too old then. There are always the other services, at that point.
I can't emphasize enough the complete waste of law firm "experience" as a kind of preparation for JAG.
Law school is the only preparation for JAG Corps, all branches have their own JAG school and I found it very very tough. Nine weeks, but very formal, and demanding as hell.
Let me give you one example of what they do there. I got to Sheppard AFB, Texas, a huge Air Force base, end of October one year, and JAG school in Montgomery Alabama, Maxwell AFB, was not scheduled to begin til March.
Well, I was there two days and they told me to drive out to a Strategic Air Command base in Lubbock to sit as the presiding officer on the military equivalent of a grand jury proceeding, in other words to look into whether to court-martial this physician whom the Air Force put through med school and now he just doesn't want to go to work, he wants to stay home----now, my JAG school doesn't begin til March 1st, so instead of sending someone else, they handed me an MCM, Manual For Courts-Martial, United States, told me to drive out there and conduct this investigation, sit where the judge sits, call all these witnesses and take their testimony via court stenographer......I said WTF....I said what do I DO, and they said, "you'll think of something" and sent me on my way.
In a law firm, you will not be doing things like that.

That's actually very interesting.Seems as if JAG gives you quite a bit of autonomy and self direction. And you're right you would never get that type of experience in a law office any more than if you worked for an investment banking firm

Does the Corps have it's own training school or are JAG's trained by the Navy as in aviation?

USNAviator
03-23-11, 07:56 AM
Good question, Dan, I don't know. JAGS are the only thing like that that the Corps has on its own. All chaplains, doctors, dentists are Navy only.
I would imagine USMC JAGs have their own school, though, but would not at all be surprised to learn it is Navy JAG school.
Let me take a quick look on Google. Interesting question.

LOL ...all those carrier traps may have scrambled my brains but every now and then I do have some thought provoking moments

tsquare
03-23-11, 09:31 AM
Dave, thanks very much for your insights. I'm definitely more familiar with the law firm world than the military, so it's very helpful to know what JAGs do. I fully anticipate not getting much courtroom experience at my firm.

At base, my desire is to do public service in the military, the kind that requires sacrifice. I guess that's why I honed in on the Marines. OCS, and the mindset that you are a rifleman first, and a JAG second, just seems more legit than direct commission. It's not primarily to get trial experience.

Maybe reserves is the way to scratch that itch? Is there a JAG component to Marine Forces Reserve? Other branches?

Thanks again Dave, and others.