PDA

View Full Version : AF Pilot rescued by Marines

USNAviator
03-22-11, 03:28 PM
The pilot of a downed Air Force F-15 Strike Eagle fighter jet in Libya was reportedly rescued by Marines in an MV-22 Osprey, media reports said.

Marine spokesmen could not immediately be reached for comment, but the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., has been floating off the coast of Libya to provide support as needed in the Libyan mission, known as Operation Odyssey Dawn. AV-8B Harriers with the MEU participated in air strikes there over the weekend.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/front/032211mc_osprey_libya_287.JPG

ARTYPIG
03-22-11, 03:46 PM
The Marine Corps is back to their roots of sea service and back to Libya. I don't think any other country in the world can do what our NAVY/MARINE CORPS team can do.

BauerBrat
03-22-11, 03:57 PM
The Marine Corps is back to their roots of sea service and back to Libya. I don't think any other country in the world can do what our NAVY/MARINE CORPS team can do.

Amen Brother :marine:

The DUKE
03-22-11, 04:18 PM
And History Repeats Itself Once More,
The Things That Make You Go

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Artemis
03-22-11, 04:26 PM
Don't forget that we clean up the Army's messes too.

Amtracker1833
03-22-11, 05:08 PM

Yup, i was on the 24th meu, i wish we could of gone to libya, i want to go again!

R Landry
03-22-11, 05:37 PM
....to the shores of Tripoli!

devilbones2
03-22-11, 05:46 PM
Do they normally destroy the aircraft during a TRAP?

prepgy12
03-23-11, 09:13 AM
I was also on the 24th MEU..comming from 81MM Plt AKA TRAP Force...lots of nights spent waiting on the ramp for a mission ... no luck though..Cheers :beer: to the 26th MEU for mission completed

cant help but to be jealous :evilgrin:

slimmy07
03-23-11, 11:05 AM

While I'am DAMN proud to be a U.S. Marine, it's comments like this that make us not liked by A TON of people. I saw it first hand while on recruiting duty. While it may be a joke, people who have never been in the Corps or military see it another way. I know people who served or still serve in the Army, Air Force, Navy and you know what they all have in common with Marines? They are proud to serve. Isn't that what its all about? We can go around and around about how great we are, but why do we have to say it? Leave that stuff to the media, politicians or the american people. The Marine Corps is the BEST fighting force in the world, thats all that matters. We don't need to go around saying stuff that makes us look like we are looking for attention or that we are not humble. Bottom line is we are the United States of America and we have the BEST Army, Air Force, Navy and you KNOW it...The MARINES in the whole world. I understand we like to joke and have that interservice rival, but WE as in the United States had a jet/plane crash. All that matters is that our military that was in that jet/plane came out alive and those people are back in the safety that ALL of us provide. Thanksfor letting me rant.

AAV Crewchief
03-23-11, 11:41 AM
While I'am DAMN proud to be a U.S. Marine, it's comments like this that make us not liked by A TON of people. I saw it first hand while on recruiting duty. While it may be a joke, people who have never been in the Corps or military see it another way. I know people who served or still serve in the Army, Air Force, Navy and you know what they all have in common with Marines? They are proud to serve. Isn't that what its all about? We can go around and around about how great we are, but why do we have to say it? Leave that stuff to the media, politicians or the american people. The Marine Corps is the BEST fighting force in the world, thats all that matters. We don't need to go around saying stuff that makes us look like we are looking for attention or that we are not humble. Bottom line is we are the United States of America and we have the BEST Army, Air Force, Navy and you KNOW it...The MARINES in the whole world. I understand we like to joke and have that interservice rival, but WE as in the United States had a jet/plane crash. All that matters is that our military that was in that jet/plane came out alive and those people are back in the safety that ALL of us provide. Thanksfor letting me rant.

You can put your political correctness "where the sun doesn't shine". Yes, we do have to tell people we're the best. There has never been and never will be a shortage of people wanting to be a Marine. Remember, "it ain't braggin' if you can back it up"!!!!

dhuntington
03-23-11, 12:04 PM
You can put your political correctness "where the sun doesn't shine". Yes, we do have to tell people we're the best. There has never been and never will be a shortage of people wanting to be a Marine. Remember, "it ain't braggin' if you can back it up"!!!!

Oorah, brother!!! It just ticks me off when the army runs that, "we're just as good as you" bull. Everybody knows it just ain't true! You wanna be as good as us? Join the Corps and get the training, the tradition, and the Esprit de Corps! Otherwise, shut your piehole!!!

USNAviator
03-23-11, 12:13 PM
Brief update on what happened. I'm sure that zoomie pilot was damn glad to see the Marines overhead. :thumbup:

This mission occurred quickly for the Marines. The Harriers were launched at 12:50 a.m., before the TRAP mission was approved. The aircraft called on were about 130 nautical miles from the crash site on the Kearsarge. The Ospreys were launched about 1:33 a.m., while the helicopters carrying the QRF were in flight by about 1:51 a.m. About 46 Marines from a reconnaissance platoon comprised the QRF, which did not need to land during the mission. The platoon’s identity was not immediately clear.

The Ospreys arrived overhead the F-15 pilot at 2:19 a.m., and one of them landed at 2:38 a.m. to recover the pilot. The pilot was on board by about 3 a.m. and heading back to Kearsarge. The helicopters carrying the QRF Marines did not need to land, officials said.

British media reports suggested that the Osprey crew opened fire on Libyan civilians during the mission, but Pentagon officials declined to comment Tuesday afternoon. The rescue operation will be investigated, said Navy Adm. Samuel Locklear, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Europe and Africa.

wildwoman73
03-23-11, 03:15 PM
Dave...some may think that anyway. But...I say it's not crazy. I say it's guts. Not everyone has the guts to be broken completely down and built back up with ultimate pride.

SGT7477
03-23-11, 04:47 PM
Marine we have been doing that since 1775, Semper Fidelis.:D

SGT7477
03-23-11, 04:51 PM
I think every other branch of the service knows they are not as good as the Marine Corps, so when we say what they already know in their hearts, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not an insult. We're not putting them down, we're saying how good WE are. Nothing wrong with that. That's the pride they instilled at SD and PI.
What should we say, gee, we're no better than any other branch?
Even the other branches know that's not true. They would think we were crazy if we said that.
I remember a army Brig. Gen saying the Marine Corps is the foundation for all the branches, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

AlohaMarine
03-28-11, 10:22 PM

What mess of the Army's did you clean up?

Burke7051
03-29-11, 01:28 AM
What mess of the Army's did you clean up?

You are such a dipsh*t Aloha...

Covey_Rider
03-29-11, 07:37 AM
Slimmy07, Just browsing your profile and you have stated that you entered the Marines in 1999 and that you are an E-5. I would just like a little clarification as to whether your profile is correct or not. It just seems a little odd to me that you've been in for 12 years and are still an E-5. Not trying to be a dick at all, just curious.

EGTSpec
03-29-11, 11:22 AM
I think every other branch of the service knows they are not as good as the Marine Corps, so when we say what they already know in their hearts, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not an insult. We're not putting them down, we're saying how good WE are. Nothing wrong with that. That's the pride they instilled at SD and PI.
What should we say, gee, we're no better than any other branch?
Even the other branches know that's not true. They would think we were crazy if we said that.My Step-son is a SSgt in the regular Army and has done three tours in Iraq, and was wounded three times in his one tour in AssCrakistan. Scout in the 7th Cav. At one point in Iraq he said they did a joint assault with a Marine Unit. He said the Marines were the craziest MoFos he ever saw. Said he was glad they were on his side.