PDA

View Full Version : Question about my age and joining.

Savage10FP
03-21-11, 10:46 PM
I know the max age to enlist is 28 and I will be 26 in the next few months, my question is considering your all's experience in the Corp is 26 to old of a age to enlist? I am currently working full...

elliscraig12
03-21-11, 10:55 PM
1. Read the site rules
2. Fill out your profile

Lisa 23
03-22-11, 07:31 AM
Also...use the search bar. This topic has been covered before.
And it's Corps, not Corp.

DrZ
03-22-11, 08:54 AM
We had a couple of old goats in boot with me in 69. One was 26 and the other was 28. They both had the same issues. First issue had to do with the physical aspect. They had some trouble staying up in the run and their PFT scores were on the lower side but still passing. The second issue was learning to keep their mouths shut when the DIs were in their faces. It seems they didn't like nor appreciate some of the mind games.

However they did survive and graduate.

AAV Crewchief
03-22-11, 11:27 AM
26 is too old for people who've never done anything physical in their life. If you are in decent shape you will be OK. Also, get used to having kids tell you what to do and look happy about it as you WILL have some teens telling you what to do and you will have to follow orders. I think that is the biggest issue with an older recruit.

Amtracker1833
03-22-11, 12:39 PM
Your going to be treated the same as others and in boot camp you will be expected to do the same things as younger recruits just as fast, do it, its an experience everyone should go through

Mindgame
03-23-11, 02:52 AM
You will be joining a world where most people at your level are much younger and immature. **** Most of thes kids parents are probly making there bed untill the morning they leave for bootcamp. Most people that hold a higher rank generalize a Lcpl as a young kid incapable of thinking on there own. So it does tend to get a little fustrating. Then you have some of those same kids holding a higher rank and only got it because they have a good pft score... There only life experience is lo right a layo, and whatever they learned in bootcamp. That tends to get fustrating to. Im not saying picking up rank fast is a bad thing, but rank should come with experience not because you look good on paper.

Mindgame
03-23-11, 02:55 AM
Im sorry. I kind of went of on a little rant about why, and didnt give the answer you seemed to be looking for.. The answer is No. 26 is not to old to join. Although your body might seem to take things as an 18 year old kid would. If you are in a decent physical condition. You will be fine.

YourPhoneIsMine
03-23-11, 07:27 AM
26 is not too old but be prepared to be frustrated. Frustrated at dealing with 18 year olds that just moved out of mommy's house as your peers and frustrated at a guy who's not old enough to drink trying to give you life advice. Eventually you get over it and realize that if you're on your game then people multiple ranks above you will come to you for advice on certain things. Your drill instructors may treat you slightly differently because you're older (hell, you might be older than most of them if not all) but they will also expect more out of you mentally than they do out of the 18 year olds.

One good thing: you don't have to take that driver improvement course.

Bad thing: you can't date within your age range because that cute SSgt might not want to get in trouble. Then again you shouldn't date WM's in the first place.

Good thing: Not having to care about the underage drinking briefs.

Bad thing: Idiot fellow marines trying to get you to buy them drinks. Don't. It will come back to bite you in the ass. Tell them to **** off.

Good: you should by now have some semblance of financial management, otherwise you probably wouldn't have been able to keep a roof over your head.

Bad: your salary may drop once you enlist. make sure you have planned for this. oh and help out your fellow junion marines with their financial planning, some of them will be idiots and blow every paycheck going out in town or buying electronics.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 11:38 PM
Closed until you profile up. Read the rules.