PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to bring my pillow to SOI?

JBloms32769
03-20-11, 06:56 PM
Hey I know this forum is for poolees, but I just graduated from boot camp and I leave for SOI (ITB) tomorrow and was wondering if I need to bring the pillow I was issued in boot camp back down with me? Just trying to save some space in the seabag if i don't need it. Thanks!

Old Marine
03-20-11, 07:13 PM
No, but you can take your Teddy Bear.

USNAviator
03-20-11, 07:19 PM
No, but you can take your Teddy Bear.

Damn Gunny I just sprayed water all over my laptop. :D

Old Marine
03-20-11, 07:28 PM
Hey, I realize that there is not such a thing as a DUMB question, but damn.

rktect3j
03-20-11, 07:38 PM
What The Philly Frik?

SlingerDun
03-20-11, 07:44 PM
Dude you should have left that pillow with the sheets and blankey's when you stripped your rack the morning of graduation! Now on your first weekend of liberty at SOI you'll need to find a ride into Oceanside, catch Greyhound to MCRD and return said pillow to the L/Cpl of recruit sundry supply. He's located in a silver roofed quonset between Iwo and VeraCruz Ave.
Ask the command SgtMajor for more detailed directions

~Semper

Wyoming
03-20-11, 08:01 PM
Dude you should have left that pillow with the sheets and blankey's when you stripped your rack the morning of graduation! Now on your first weekend of liberty at SOI you'll need to find a ride into Oceanside, catch Greyhound to MCRD and return said pillow to the L/Cpl of recruit sundry supply. He's located in a silver roofed quonset between Iwo and VeraCruz Ave.
Ask the command SgtMajor for more detailed directions

~Semper

Oh Man, he's in deep doo-doo!!

SGT7477
03-20-11, 08:04 PM
Ahh chit this is too funny,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

Phantom Blooper
03-20-11, 08:10 PM
Don't forget the rubber ducky.....

Congratulations on becoming a Marine....pillowtalk!

SlingerDun
03-20-11, 08:49 PM
Dude on second thought: cank the previous advice and by-pass the SgtMajor all together, because they can behave kinda surly when the linen count is off. And don't go knockin on strange hatches lookin for the various and sundry supply L/Cpl, cuz he might be cleaning him gun.

Head straight for the Chaplin and spill it! His office is somehwere over there by the plaza chapel

~Semper

Oh Man, he's in deep doo-doo!!I know huh, it's gonna suck

BauerBrat
03-20-11, 09:03 PM
Hey I know this forum is for poolees, but I just graduated from boot camp and I leave for SOI (ITB) tomorrow and was wondering if I need to bring the pillow I was issued in boot camp back down with me? Just trying to save some space in the seabag if i don't need it. Thanks!

Son, if SOI is a drive-in then by all means bring your pillow and maybe your bankie.. If your going on a sleep over at your DI's house, then by all means bring your pillow. Otherwise, get real and figure out how to deal with your situation. Sleep on the deck if need be but don't bring up this pillow talk again, OK?

Covey_Rider
03-20-11, 09:39 PM
Is this real??? I mean really...There's no way that this is real.

Old Marine
03-20-11, 09:49 PM
While you are at it, you may as well fess up and turn in the Fart Sack you appropriated.

BauerBrat
03-20-11, 09:59 PM
While you are at it, you may as well fess up and turn in the Fart Sack you appropriated.

GD Gunny, I never turned mine in, think they'll gig me for it after 57 years? I know, dumb boot question, hope I have enough roles of dimes saved. Hate to sell one of my sheep, I've grown sort of close to her

Covey_Rider
03-20-11, 11:27 PM
I can see it now...All of those supply Marines are running around because their Gunny won't let them leave until that last pillow is accounted for.

josephd
03-20-11, 11:32 PM
Not sure why we are giving this new Marine such a hard time about his question?....

No disrespect is meant to those of you who responded but why respond if you have nothing constructive to answer with. Is the question a little stupid?...yes but that doesn't mean it rates a stupid response. Especially considering he is fresh out of boot camp and is still used to having everything answered and directed for him by a DI.

To answer the question at hand...Yes I would suggest taking your pillow and everything else that was "issued" to you at boot camp. It might suck packing it and if you don't end up needing it you can throw it out but I wouldn't want you to be the one to not have it when you are supposed to have it or you need it.

Vandrel
03-21-11, 12:22 AM
To answer the question at hand...Yes I would suggest taking your pillow and everything else that was "issued" to you at boot camp. It might suck packing it and if you don't end up needing it you can throw it out but I wouldn't want you to be the one to not have it when you are supposed to have it or you need it.

While I did laugh pretty good at the other responses here, this one above is the best to take out of this topic.

There is one thing that will always stick with Marines, "When in doubt, bring it", "Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it".

Now I highly doubt the pillow will be needed, I've never heard of Marines these days being "issued" pillows to take around the fleet with them, but it's good to get that mentality going to ensure you keep track of your gear and are always prepared. I would wage that there's a 99.99999% chance you'd need that pillow (it really should have been left at the depot anyway) but there's no harm in taking it. I know the instructors at SOI have seen far weirder things brought to SOI before.

GunRun
03-21-11, 04:41 AM
If I remember properly, We were in fact FORCED to take our boot camp pillow with us. First thing to get dumped in a dumpster outside the Depot.

Now, I recommend leaving that one and just purchase a new ( and better and comfier) one once you get settled. It's not like you are going to use it much at SOI anyways.

Old Marine
03-21-11, 09:22 AM
Not sure why we are giving this new Marine such a hard time about his question?....

No disrespect is meant to those of you who responded but why respond if you have nothing constructive to answer with. Is the question a little stupid?...yes but that doesn't mean it rates a stupid response. Especially considering he is fresh out of boot camp and is still used to having everything answered and directed for him by a DI.

Yep, now, its your turn to take him under your wing, wipe his nose, wash his ears, send him for a haircut and fluff his pillow for him.

No disrespect for all you Marines out there in the fleet.:evilgrin:

Marine3451
03-21-11, 10:13 AM
Don't take your boot camp pillow. They make you take it b/c they dont want your nasty azz pillow to stay at the recruit depot.

Gunz
03-21-11, 11:29 AM
I have never heard of getting a pillow issued to you. Everytime I reported somewhere it came with the rest of the linen, and I had to turn it in when I left.

This has got to be a fake post.

YourPhoneIsMine
03-21-11, 12:12 PM
dude, ignore the haterz

sometimes they have enough pillows for you at soi, sometimes they don't. the pillow you got in boot camp sucks anyways, toss that piece of trash. worst case if the school doesn't have one then wrap up some clothes in a pillow case and enjoy

threw mine away at the hotel after graduation along with the torn up running shoes and pretty much everything else that wasn't a uniform item

Old Marine
03-21-11, 01:29 PM
Here's something constructive: About 10% need to take their pack off and relax. After all this is cyber space, and anything that is said is done in a joking manner.

There is much more to worry about than where your next pillow is coming from.

SlingerDun
03-21-11, 02:23 PM
Marines really do leave MCRD with an issued pillow!?
Ok then i savvy the seabag dilemma so lets work on efficiency here. Cut the thing open and pull out whatever it's stuffed with so it's now about 1/3 the original size, just wide and thick enough to keep your Jarhead off the cold deck. Break out the sewing kit (duct tape) and cobble it back together:marine:

afraziaaaa
03-21-11, 02:58 PM
I say burn the pillow. Fire is awesome.

Quinbo
03-21-11, 11:25 PM
With all the other crap I left boot camp with, and had to stuff into a sea bag I can't picture a pillow fitting in there. I too thought it was a joke post and had no idea recruits leave boot camp with a pillow. If they do then why just the pillow? Why not all the linen and two blankets as well?

GunRun
03-22-11, 01:34 AM
It's simply a lot cheaper to purchase new pillows than washing all of that.

m14ed
03-22-11, 03:21 AM
With all the other crap I left boot camp with, and had to stuff into a sea bag I can't picture a pillow fitting in there. I too thought it was a joke post and had no idea recruits leave boot camp with a pillow. If they do then why just the pillow? Why not all the linen and two blankets as well?

Well said Sergeant Bulkyker.

I guess i did boot at the right time. Prettymuch everything except the clothes on our back fit into the one issue seabag when we left. "Rolled and pounded" and as tight as three elephants in an Oil and Thong case.

doc h fmf
03-22-11, 06:45 AM
As A Corpman With Soi And Mct I Didnt See The Students Spend Much Time In The Barracks Most Of The Time We Were Out In The Field Unless Things Have Changed I Was There .1990-1992

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

GunRun
03-22-11, 12:37 PM
Well said Sergeant Bulkyker.

I guess i did boot at the right time. Prettymuch everything except the clothes on our back fit into the one issue seabag when we left. "Rolled and pounded" and as tight as three elephants in an Oil and Thong case.
Funny thing about that...Now we get 2 sea bags.