PDA

View Full Version : Libyan military calls for cease fire

USNAviator
03-20-11, 04:36 PM
Tripoli, Libya (CNN) --

The Libyan military on Sunday called an immediate cease-fire after allied forces pounded one of its convoys near Benghazi and, according to U.S. officials, significantly degraded the regime's air defense capability.

U.S. military leaders insisted the air campaign was limited -- enforcement of a United Nations-mandated no-fly zone and preventing troops loyal to Moammar Gadhafi from advancing on rebel positions.

"We are not going after Gadhafi," U.S. Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said at a Pentagon press briefing. "Regime forces are more pressed and less free to maneuver."

Asked about reports of smoking rise from the area of Gadhafi's palace, Gortney said, "We are not targeting his residence."

I guess even in Libya it's DADT

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/moammar-gadhafi-hosni-mubarak-072102jpg-1098f518a40ad2a6.jpeg?w=512&h=371

Trucrimsongold
03-20-11, 04:40 PM
Imagine that...freakin toads..now some motivated Marine go get his head and put it on a stick please.

BauerBrat
03-20-11, 04:48 PM
Imagine that...freakin toads..now some motivated Marine go get his head and put it on a stick please.

I don't think his boyfriend would like that, take a look at the photo :marine:

But I agree, one 48 hour period of suppression and they cave. At least for the time being!

USNAviator
03-20-11, 05:03 PM
North Carolina-based Marine attack jets launched airstrikes against Libyan ground forces early Sunday, officials said in a news release.

The AV-8B Harriers, operating from the amphibious assault ship Kearsarge off the coast of North Africa, are assigned to Camp Lejeune’s 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit. The strikes, aimed at stemming the offensive launched against rebel forces by longtime Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, also included French aircraft, according to reports.

Protecting the innocent and conducting combined operations are what we are designed to do,” Col. Mark J. Desens, the MEU’s commanding officer, said in the news release. “Our forces are doing both as part of the U.S. commitment to protect Libyan citizens.”
The MEU is assigned to Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn, established by U.S.

EGTSpec
03-20-11, 05:46 PM
Fvcking OTurd just continues to put the U.S. into situations that cost more lives, and/or money. While he high-brows and hobnobs with America haters (Hugo Chavez for one), kissing azzes and making the U.S. look bad.

The CO of MEU isn't going to publically state his true feelings, as being a Marine, he will respect the office of POTUS and follow orders. How long before the libtards finally realize OTurd is dragging this country down the sh!tter, financially, economically, and militarily. Next step is ground troops involved. And all his BS is politically motivated to get him re-elected on the blood of Marines, and Soldiers. :mad:

USNAviator
03-20-11, 06:50 PM
Just heard that a Cruise took out a 3 story building in his compound. Should have taken him out in '86 when we had just cause after the night club bombings. If we had, perhaps there would not have been a Pam Am Flight 103 disaster in '88

USNAviator
03-20-11, 06:57 PM
We can bet he is a target, regardless of what is being said, Dan.
He's probably THE target right now.

Agreed, as long as we eliminate him without putting any US troops in harms way. He's not worth it. I know the Marine aviators from the Kearsage are doing their part. I suspect the Enterprise now in the Red Sea will be called upon if needed.

USNAviator
03-20-11, 07:00 PM
He just barely escaped the last time, if I remember correctly.

Yes his infant daughter was killed, an unfortunate death.

EGTSpec
03-20-11, 07:20 PM
I'm wandering how much of this Libya BS is a "Wag The Dog" attempt to draw the worlds attention away from the nuclear chit going down in Japan. And it's negative affects on the world economy, and stock markets. Have you noticed Japan is suddenly second page news? :confused:

USNAviator
03-20-11, 07:30 PM
Probably something to that.

Concur, just read where the rods are heating up again. I have a good friend who works in nuke plants. He said that since Chernobyl, the built in safety factors have improved by a factor of 10. If this core melts down it will be serious but nothing like what happened in Russia. Until we can figure out nuclear fusion instead of fission we will be at the mercy of such disasters

Garcia90
03-20-11, 11:20 PM
All I know is this Libya crap disgusts me. How can "Mr. Peace Prize" be so stupid....

tracs1833
03-22-11, 09:17 AM
If the Corps ever needs to send forces in to someplace like the French Riviera, Monaco, Spain's Costa De Sol, Tahiti or some similar place, I'll volunteer to come back in!!! I may be 60, overweight and out of shape but I'll make do somehow.