PDA

View Full Version : selective service

green333
03-20-11, 01:18 PM
ive been in the dep for 9 months and im turnin 18 in 2 weeks am i supposed to register for the selective service even though im already enlisted?

TunTvrnWarrior
03-20-11, 04:11 PM
As stupid as this sounds.... Yes, absolutley. You cant get a Federal Job or a student loan or Pell grant for college without certifying that you have registered.

USNAviator
03-20-11, 04:23 PM
As stupid as this sounds.... Yes, absolutley. You cant get a Federal Job or a student loan or Pell grant for college without certifying that you have registered.

To illustrate Mike how far out of the loop I am I didn't know it still existed. That must be one nice cushy Federal Job. Director of the Selective Service. I wonder how many they employ? Are females still exempt from registering? I don't recall my daughters ever bringing it up.

Old Marine
03-20-11, 04:26 PM
I figured the Selective Service was history. If we ever use it again in this day and age, Canada's population is really going to grow.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-20-11, 04:30 PM
It is only for men.

Devil1087
03-20-11, 05:48 PM
go to sss.gov and click "check a registration"

input your information and if it returns your selective service ID, you're in the system and don't have to worry about it, however I was 18 when I enlisted, so I don't know about you.

Covey_Rider
03-20-11, 09:43 PM
You know, I don't recall every registering however I DO have a SS number. I'm not sure how that all worked out haha. I joined at 17, maybe the military did it for me?

VictoryttBold
03-20-11, 10:00 PM
:flag:If I remember correct, I registered at the post office.

USNAviator
03-20-11, 10:08 PM
I still have my draft card some where. I was told never to lose it. Sort of like those tags on the bottom of chairs "Don't remove under penalty of prosecution" For you young folk, I'm being serious, they really did exist. I remember my dear Mom going into a tizzy when one of the tags fell off....sad LOL

green333
03-31-11, 01:02 PM
did it on the website, thanks for the replys